Staffy With Brain Tumour

ChrisnLaura

Hey Guys,

We are new to the forum and unfortunately we come to the forum with bad news:

About four weeks ago, our beautiful 7 yo Staffy, Toongah, developed difficulty with balance and coordination. Initially, we thought she might have a spinal problem, so she went in for a spinal MRI which proved unremarkable. Last weekend she had seizure & we rushed her to hospital where she was admitted to ICU for a few days. She has since had a brain MRI and we found a small tumour on the right side of her brain. She is home with us now, and is on Macrolone & Phenobarbitone. My wife and I have been alternating taking days off our jobs so someone is always with her. She is drinking and weeing a lot (which the vet advised would happen), but she has not passed a stool in two days now.

Has anyone else heard of these drugs causing constipation?

We have been adding a little bit of vegetable oil, but still no luck yet?

The tumour ( and associated swelling) has also affected her eyesight in her left eye. She goes in for brain surgery on Tuesday and the neurologist has given her excellent propects for recovery.

Toongah is "the whole world" to my wife and I and we hope our little girl gets better soon.

All the Best,

Chris.

Sorry that your dog is so sick. I am not familiar with those drugs so don't know if they cause constipation. This bit of the forum is a little slow. If you repost in the General section or even in the health bit below you will get more response.

Thanks for your comments guys. The constipation issue has passed. She finally started passing stools normally over the weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, operation tomorrow, will let you all know how things pan out.

All the Best,

Chris.

So sorry about your dog's condition. I have a dog on phenobarbitone for the last 3 months and no problems with her bowels. I don't know of steriods causing this either, but all dogs are different when it comes to medication. There are plenty of treatments you can get for constipation, maybe check with your vet so you have something on hand in case it happens again. Your dog is lucky to have such dedicated owners.