My Dog's Forgotten Me...

kenDOL

I returned home yesterday after almost a month in hospital. Two of my three dogs were excited to see me but the third (B) didn't seem to recognise me. :(

B came from the pound in 2006 aged approx 2 years old and has always had a few quirks, ie she's very wary of strangers and thrives on routine.

Mum looked after the dogs at my place while I was away. While she previously didn't visit for a couple of months at a time, B never forgot her.

Things haven't improved overnight - while curious, B is still very wary of me.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I think it is going to take some time for your dog B to get used to you again. Dogs seem to see life in the here and now, so now you are a a familiar stranger, and they are going to have to get used to having you there.

Just be patient. B will come round.

Lynn

I had a bitch who used to act as if she did't know us if we went away for more than 3 or 4 days. Our explanation was that she was snobbing us, but I doubt dogs feel the need to play mind games :laugh:

She could be confused about the changes that have happened over the last month and unsure about her relationship with you now. You possibly smell different having been in hospital and this may remind her of something unpleasant she experienced.

Just act normally and I'd be confident she'll come around quickly.

Hope you're feeling better!

She will show more signs of being able to remember you .. once normal routines start happening :) She may well be confused and wary because of the changes ..you will smell different, and probably are acting /moving differently too.

Don't worry too much - and happy healing !

I had a bitch who used to act as if she did't know us if we went away for more than 3 or 4 days. Our explanation was that she was snobbing us, but I doubt dogs feel the need to play mind games :laugh:

I used to house-sit a lab who used to do this. Her owners would come home and she'd ignore them (it must have been hard as ignoring anybody is out of character for her :p). It only lasted a day or two then all would be back to normal.

Scientifically I think I'm anthropomorphising but she was very convincing.....

kenDOL - I hope you are feeling much better now. I am sure with time B will come around.

Many thanks for your suggestions and well wishes.

I'm sure B will come around - it's just surreal to be out of favour after all these years, particularly when the other two haven't skipped a beat.

My girl westie would 'snob' me for 24 hours if I'd been away for a couple of days - she'd literally turn her back on me - while the boys would be all overme like a rash the moment I walked in the door! :rolleyes: So KenDOL I'm sure B will come around.

Hope you are feeling better and healing well :)