Buying Cocker Spaniel

whiskedaway

Hey guys, my Aunty and Uncle are wanting to get another Cocker Spaniel after they lost their old dog Juliet at the start of the year. They've asked for some help to find a breeder, but as I don't know much about Cockers I don't really know what health tests to be making sure the breeder does. Also is there anything to be looking out for in terms of being ripped off in regards to "rare" colours, etc.

Also any breeder recommendations would be appreciated. They're in SA, but are happy to go interstate. Perhaps PM for that though. :)

Thanks in advance!

They have the best personalitys and same deal with every breed choose the right breeder the health tests for cockers are PRA and FN the only rare colour is chocolate or chocolate roan and even then most they would cost is 1300 but really they have the best temperaments my little boy zorro I could not wish for a better dog he LOVES people and that is the way they should be, only temp problem are from bad breeding like with every breed. Have a look at the Vic cocker spaniel web site they have some great reading info about them. They are a generally healthy breed and like I said have the best temperaments they love their owners and everyone else they meet some can be shy but that comes down to socialization. I'm going to try zorro out as a therapy dog as he just loves meeting people and could be cuddled by everyone for hours ( as long as he passes the leaving food alone I'm not sure of that one :rofl: But like I said read the Vic cocker sight they have great info http://www.cockerspanielclubvic.org/

Edited by Atanquin

Ok ,First thing to be aware off is ADDICTION :rofl

make sure u go to a reputable breeder ,prefrably someone who raises thier puppies in house .

ask to meet parents of pups .

make sure both parents have been tested for PRA &FN

ask to sight test certificates .

Colour is secondry to temprement IMO

Cockers r very people oriantated ,love company ,dont care what yr doing as long as they can be doing it with u !

they have little road sence & need to be kept in a secure garden ,although most will prefere to be inside lounge lizards .

they do need exercise & love to run through open fields ect .

but r equally happy loungin around

Not keen on being alone for long periods of time.

Thier coats require regular brushing to aviod knots ect,air way to ears must be kept free of hairs & hair between pads on feet must be trimmed.

hope this helps im sure other cocker besotted folks can add more advise.

Thanks guys. LOL Cockerlover, this will be their fourth Cocker so I think they really are addicted.

They have already gotten in contact with their old girl's breeder but unfortunately their bitch had a phantom. Hence why they asked if I could help find someone. Will pass on what health tests need to be done and all your info - unfortunately meeting the parents might be hard as there don't appear to be any litters in SA at the moment, hence why we're relying on word of mouth a little.

I'm also doing the ring around looking a good Cocker breeder in SA. First dog for myself and girlfriend in our first home and I'm trying to contain my excitement at the potential of a puppy. I think I'm already addicted to CS without seeing one, despite growing up with Viszlas. Heading out to the dog shows on the weekend for a snoop also.

Any breeder recommendations would be great

Do inquire about temperament (for any breed).

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/22/cocker-spaniel-aggressive.html

World's Meanest Dog: The English Cocker Spaniel?

May 22, 2009 -- A floppy-eared, innocent-looking breed may be one of the world's most aggressive dogs, according to a new study that found English cocker spaniels tend to be more hostile than other breeds. The discovery adds to the mounting evidence that aggressiveness is an inherited characteristic, suggesting that genes and breeding practices can both help determine how a dog will behave.

"In our country and according to our database, the English cocker spaniel is the breed that shows more aggression problems," lead author Marta Amat told Discovery News.

Amat, a researcher in the School of Veterinary Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, and her colleagues analyzed 1,040 cases of canine aggression brought to a nearby veterinary teaching hospital from 1998 to 2006. Of those cases, the majority of cases were attributed to English cocker spaniels, Rottweilers, Boxers, Yorkshire terriers and German shepherds.

Probing the data further, Amat and her team discovered that English cocker spaniels were more likely than other dogs to act aggressively toward their owners as well as unfamiliar people. In contrast, dogs with reported behavior problems from other breeds tended to act aggressively toward other dogs. Among the English cocker spaniels, golden varieties and males were found to be the most hostile.

The findings, published in the latest Journal of Veterinary Behavior, confirm an earlier study conducted by a separate Spanish team from the University of Cordoba, which also found males and golden English cocker spaniels were more aggressive than females or those with black and mixed-color coats.

In terms of coat color, Amat explained that the coat pigment melanin shares a common biochemical pathway with dopamine and other brain chemicals involved in the control of aggressive behavior.

Next »21« Previous

:mad whilst everyone is intiteled to thier opinion ,I have to stick my neck out here in defence of yr post Sandgrubber

yes I totally agree re seeking a reputable breeder ,yes some cockere r aggresive ,BUT then that can happen in any breed !!!

back in the 50's 60's cockers were extremly popular ,hence in breeding accured :cry: ,resulting in some bad temprements ......

in this day & age any reputable breeder will have done a lot of research ,& i as one, would not even consider using a dog with bad lines behind it !!!!hence the inportance of seeking ,meeting a reputable breeder .

I always maintain a dog is99% its owner !!training & disaplining any dog is # 1 priority !!!!

Obviously a lot of study has been done .

BUT if u had shared yr life with a cocker ,u would understand ,my objection to yr post .

but i thanku for trying to educate the uneducated ,regarding any breed

I am not attacking cocker spaniels, so there is no need to defend. However, it is incorrect to say that temperament is 99% training. If breeders are not willing to admit that bad temperament flaws can run in lines and stop breeding from dogs with bad temperament, breeds will deteriorate.

I'm thinking of a reasonably popular stud dog, I won't mention the breed, but not a cocker, whose second, off-the-books call name was A##-hole, and who was known to throw stubborn and troublesome pups. In my book, that dog should have been neutered faster than a dog with 3/3 elbows.

If true I think they forget to tell all the cockers I know and all the friends of the cockers I know that they are suppose to be aggressive

We recently had a get together with a group of cocker owners - 19 cockers ( + one fluffy black ring-in) and 9 humans , because of bad weather we were in a small lounge room . Not one growl / not one hint of aggression was shown toward human or dog .

I haven't had a great deal to do with Cocker Spaniels but in the 6 years I have owned Maggie and have travelled to various places with her and met many people who own / know someone that owns a cocker or have once owned one themselves , not once has aggression ever come up as a topic in conversation .

Yes be aware of temperament but sorry to say cockers are the most aggressive dog is just not true .

I have been around most breeds of dogs in my 45 years of life. I have had quite a few friends who have owned Cocker Spaniels, and I have also seen them (worked along side) in the dog obedience club I used to be heavily involved in for years. I have never met an aggressive one yet ! A few have been on the shy side, but were friendly enough still.:) Most of the ones I have met have belonged to families with children and they have never had any bad temperament issues that I have heard about.

I do think in every breed there are good and bad temperaments. Just like there are with people also. I would be more concerned about the aggressive people that seem to pop up every where these days ! :laugh: (Perhaps too much bad breeding is going on with humans)?

Like with every breed, do your research with the breeders and their dogs.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I'm yet to meet an aggressive cocker - looking at my two I struggle to think how either of then could be anything other than sweet (if not a bit sooky lol)

I think CL is right, when cockers were extremely popular and the dog market was saturated with them, less importance was put on quality, and more on quantity. Today's cockers are different. There is emphasis put on quality (although there are good and bad breeders everywhere!)

I am not attacking cocker spaniels, so there is no need to defend. However, it is incorrect to say that temperament is 99% training. If breeders are not willing to admit that bad temperament flaws can run in lines and stop breeding from dogs with bad temperament, breeds will deteriorate.

I'm thinking of a reasonably popular stud dog, I won't mention the breed, but not a cocker, whose second, off-the-books call name was A##-hole, and who was known to throw stubborn and troublesome pups. In my book, that dog should have been neutered faster than a dog with 3/3 elbows.

You have attacked them before in the BLS thread!! I have never met a bad cocker. Only way for there to be one is bad breed like with every breed!!!!! Or people being nasty to them so once again like every breed!! They have one of the best temperaments you could want in a dog I have met more aggressive labs than cockers

2 bad labs and no bad cockers

Edited by Atanquin

Why are you all so defensive? There are good and bad lines for temperament in many breeds. Granted, Sandgrubber probably picked the most strongly worded article.

If a purchaser is warned to check carefully for the temperament of the line before committing to a puppy then that is great advice. Whether or not it's all a fallacy, there appears to be enough anecdotal evidence worldwide that there are lines of cockers which can have suspect temps.

Why not share with WhiskedAway the bloodlines of the cockers who you know have great temps.

I notice that some of the UK Cocker Clubs even have Temperament Advisory Committees. That's great, if there might be a problem, then get it sorted. Complete denial and using just personal experience is not credible.

All the more reason to buy from reputable breeders.

Edited by Inevitablue

We got defensive because the op wanted info on breeders and her relatives have had them before and sansgrubber brought a topic that was not really needed and I have known sansgrubber to bring up topics on cockers like that before even when cockers where not part of the topic

Do many breeders hip score their breeding dogs?

Unfortunately not

I became defensive as I have seen no evidence that Cockers are "The world's meanest dog " why bring up a study that has caused so much controversy over its life

Just say as everyone else does check the temperament of the line your looking at .

Why not share with WhiskedAway the bloodlines of the cockers who you know have great temps.

That would be fantastic, actually, because then I can track back to the current litters available.

They're getting a cocker no matter what, they could never pick a different breed of dog (though I did try to convince them to get a lappie!) So articles like that won't turn them off cockers, but it does mean that we need to be aware of which lines have great temperaments and go with that. :)