Why Do Sighthounds Tend To Be Timid/sensitive?

corvus

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree with Pav Lova. Our greyhound was a snob, and all the Whippets I have met have been either indifferent or outwardly friendly with strangers. can't really comment on the other sighthounds but have read that Saluki's are very one person oriented and they always come across to me as indifferent. I don't think I've ever seen a Saluki look fearful or timid.

My Greyhound was an extrovert - race bred but raised with Staffords, she was dynamite!

I wouldn't say I've met a lot of sighthounds but few of them have been timid - many are definitely aloof or reserved or snobby as someone already mentioned but I've met more timid gundogs than sighthounds!

It's a huge generalisation, but it's a significant one according to my survey results. I'd rather not debate whether they are timid or not. Obviously there are timid and bold individuals as there are in any breed group. But my data indicates sighthounds in general are more timid than many other breed groups, and that's what I'm left with at the end of the day. The most timid group is toy breeds. That kinda makes sense to me because they are very small and aren't really expected to handle much pressure. The boldest group is guardian breeds, which makes sense to me because they are very large and you would think guardian breeds would do better if they were more bold than timid. But sighthounds... Not sure about that one. Most were large breeds.

Blame the owners sighthounds are sensitive but shouldn;t be timid.

All our Greys where bomb proof,every weekend you see kids taking in Whippets for junior handlers because they are such perfect dogs temp wise .

I should also add most breeds are sensitive ,matching the right owner to the right breed is so important

Edited by showdog

I've met a fair few timid whippets and iggies (do they count as a sighthound?).

The ones that I've met that are timid have owners who doa lot of yelling ("NO!!! Get off that couch! etc) and not a lot of positive reinforcement. The iggies that I've met tend to have owners that baby them.

hey corvus when you say guardian breeds do you mean mastiffs, rottis, dobes etc?

what about Danes do you class them as a guardian breed?

just curious :)

I have seen a quite a few timid whippets and a very timid Iggy.

I think Temple Grandin said there was a correlation across many species of animals in which the fine-boned ones were more highly strung, and the big solid ones were more steady.

My greys are far from timid - Patch is quiet but approaches everyone he sees and leans in for a cuddle. Lilly is a total tramp and happily smothers everyone with licks who gets within range.

Oscar (iggy) can be freaked out in unfamiliar places but within 5 mins of knowing someone he is dropping a ball at their feet wanting to play. I think he is pretty sensitive, doesn't like being scolded.

Edited by CBL

hey corvus when you say guardian breeds do you mean mastiffs, rottis, dobes etc?

what about Danes do you class them as a guardian breed?

just curious :)

I'm classifying according to UKC groups, so yes, by guardian I mean mastiffs, rotties, dobes etc. Danes are in that group as well. :)

I have seen a quite a few timid whippets and a very timid Iggy.

I think Temple Grandin said there was a correlation across many species of animals in which the fine-boned ones were more highly strung, and the big solid ones were more steady.

I was wondering about that. I could believe that fine bones and a short, unprotective coat might lead an animal to be a little more risk averse than, say, a heavy animal with a thick, protective coat. Risk averse if we're ignoring how an individual might assess risk in the first place, that is.

ETA I think Iggies went into the companion group with the toy breeds.

Edited by corvus

Can I just ask how you draw the conclusion that sighthounds are timid from your results? Genuine question, not having a go here. What were the specific questions relating to their temperament?

I have 4 whippets and an Afghan Hound. Neither is timid, far from it in fact.

I've also owned a show bred greyhound before. Started off a bit timid but soon gained confidence from me and I could take her anywhere and do anything with her.

Have also worked with over 150 greyhounds (race bred) and I'd say about 4 of those were timid.

:)

Edited by Sir WJ

Can I just ask how you draw the conclusion that sighthounds are timid from your results? Genuine question, not having a go here. What were the specific questions relating to their temperament?

It's kind of complicated. I did a principal components analysis, which basically is a way to objectively work out what exactly my survey was asking about and reducing the 50 odd questions down to more general concepts. It does it mathematically so that I'm not the one that decides which questions relate to which concepts. Then I extracted the most meaningful component, looked at the questions that it was most strongly related to, compared that to previous studies, and gave it a name (boldness). Then I extracted boldness scores for every dog in the study and fitted a straight line between those boldness scores and various different factors I thought might affect the boldness scores. Then I tested the significance of the regression, and built a linear mixed model one term at a time as I tested their significance and yadda yadda.

End result: Sighthounds have a lower boldness score as a group than most other groups. I can't really say if the results are right or wrong. I mean, we're talking about pesonality. All I can do is try to interpret the results accurately.

TSD: Public-owned dogs. Dogs' origins were not significant.

I would say mine are sensitive. The 2 little blue girls are slighty aloof, actually I like that trait in them.

Penny, the fawn and white girl has never been in a fight but I think she'd love the opportunity. Her mother was used for hunting and killed alot of foxes, no mean feat for a small dog. I always get the feeling she'd have a go if another dog snapped at her. The others are all cowards and dont like over enthusiastic dogs, although they themselves love the chance to chase a dog that runs. I have to watch against that. I can understand why you asked if they are timid and dont take offence at it. They aren't generally an aggressive breed.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks for your reply corvus.

Not an easy thing you're doing, the study.

I guess testing the "boldness" of dogs that are already not overly bold means they'll come in at the lower end of the scale regardless? :confused:

Many are reserved around strangers, but shouldn't be nervous or shy. Some (like my afghan) can be aloof and independent. Quietly dignified and sensitive.

Interesting to say the least.