Getting Flea Products Off Ebay.. Cons?

Aztec Gold

Hi guys,

I need to buy Chester some comfortis, and ebay seems to be the cheapest! Has anyone had a bad experience buying flea stuff off ebay? I'm not sure if there may be problems with some being sold that aren't genuine or anything, like with other products!

Thanks heaps!

I don't buy comfortis, but have bought frontline off ebay in the past without any issues. I've found in the last year or so that theres websites such as priceless pets etc that do it just as cheap as I can find on ebay so tend to stick with them now.

I uses to buy my stuff from Ebay but now I find it cheaper to buy from Omars (OVEDS Horse and Pet Store) their service and postage costs are good and the prices were the same or a little cheaper than Ebay

Maybe worth while checking it out :-)

Edited by Boronia

I can't be bothered checking the Ebay & Omars Comfortis prices, as I don't use it, so here is the Omars link to the Comfortis page http://ovedshorseandpetstore.com.au/Dog-Products/Flea-Tick-Control/Comfortis/127.html

I am not comparing the prices as I am tired...I have been planting all these different types of potatoes I bought form Tasmania :-)

Edited by Boronia

EBay is a marketplace, not a seller. You might get a good product, one that is out of date or one that has been stored in bad conditions. It all depends on which seller you buy from.

I tend to buy those things from Priceless Pets because they are a vet/retailer buying through the normal supply chain from Bayer. Some eBay sellers would be buying in this way too, but some eBay retailers are dodgy operations that can disappear overnight.

It isn't just the money that is a concern, it is having the right product for the dog. I don't know if there is counterfeit products around, but I would not be surprised if there was as there is a lot of money in those products.

You need to be sure you're not buying an overseas version as some are slightly different, and it's actually not legal to import a product that is available in a registered Australian form. Regardless of price. It's about Australia registering versions of products that are suited to here, safe and effective.

Edited by Alyosha

You need to be sure you're not buying an overseas version as some are slightly different, and it's actually not legal to import a product that is available in a registered Australian form. Regardless of price. It's about Australia registering versions of products that are suited to here, safe and effective.

they include this disclaimer at the top, although I'm not sure how you verify that it is true:

THIS PRODUCT COMPLIES WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE AUSTRALIAN PESTICIDES AND VETERINARIAN MEDICINES AUTHORITY (APVMA), THE AGVET CODE, AND THE EBAY HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POLIC

Now I've found sentinel spectrum cheap too! Which is better I wonder?

They do different things. Comfortis is just flea control; it kills adults outright. Sentinel covers heartworm, intestional worms, and it sterilizes adult fleas so they do not breed and spread further fleas in your environment. Doesn't kill them outright, so you still need something to kill the adults. I combine Comfortis with Interceptor, which just does Heartworm and intestionals.

they include this disclaimer at the top, although I'm not sure how you verify that it is true:

THIS PRODUCT COMPLIES WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE AUSTRALIAN PESTICIDES AND VETERINARIAN MEDICINES AUTHORITY (APVMA), THE AGVET CODE, AND THE EBAY HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POLIC

If it's a personally imported version of a product otherwise sold here it doesn't comply with the Agvet code, and the APVMA cannot issue consent to import an international version of a product unless there is a demonstrated availability issue in Australia. In that case, each importation would need to be applied for, considered on it's merits and either consented to or not. :)