Preferred Dry Food

We feed our Bedlingtons BARF but were supplementing it with Supercoat Special Care as it is lower in Copper than others - necessary for Bedlingtons

About six months ago we stopped feeding dry food all together and now our doggies absolutely wolf down their BARF food and look better for it.

Just a thought

Erica

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed Iams large breed puppy food at the moment.

My vet told me Iams and Eukanuba were the same just packaged differently - is this true?

I add a few extra things to his food throughout the week to entertain him (only one of the following at a time) - boiled egg, sardines, liver and kidney.

Not sure what to feed him when he is older - might get a small pack of eagle farm to try him on.

What other extras do you give your loved ones?

Seems like people are giving their pet chicken bones, is this true? I thought this could cause real problems for them?

Sonny:

Seems like people are giving their pet chicken bones, is this true? I thought this could cause real problems for them?

RAW chicken bones eg. wings, necks are the basis of my dogs diet. No problems to date with feeding them. COOKED chicken bones are a whole different story and are dangerous.

Finally found a dry food that my lab loves.

*V.I.P PETFOODS MEATY MUESLI*

www.vippetfoods.com.au

V.I.P petfoods meets the nutritional leavels established by the assoc. of america feed control officials. (says on the box)

Just has come out, at our local supermarket. (yes, im in Oz not the US)

Real meat with honey and coated cereal flakes.

I would be interested to know if this really is healthy;

-quality ingredients (selected)

-honey, real meat, carrot, bacon chips vitamin enriched, puffed rice, canola, fish and flaxseed oils. dried parsley, kealp and garlic, micronised flakes, cheese bals, bran fibre.

PROTEIN 20%

FAT 10%

FIBRE 3%

SALT 1%

CALCIUM TO PHOSHORUS 1.3:1

ENERGY LEVEL PER 100G 390 CAL.

ANY GOOD?

One of ours is on Royal Canin Medium Adult & GSD24 all the others are now on COPRICE and Vet's All Natural. We find that all of these suit our dogs at the moment. We used to feed Supercoat but as other people have said they have changed it in some way and our dogs stools became loose and smelly :kissbetter::thumbsup: We had a very sick dog on a particular "very well known" dog food

Jess & Gail

Edited by Amarada

About the only concern to me over the food that contains honey....

Is Honey listed first (as you've typed)?

Honey is a short-chain sugar that is quickly absorbed, causing the level of sugar in the blood to rise. This switches on the secretion of insulin which acts to limit excessive blood sugar levels; Often this response can "overshoot" and may depress blood sugar to a level lower than normal (and may make your dog lethargic when this happens). Honey contains 80% sugar and 20% water.

The second ingredient you mentioned is "Real Meat"...

What type of meat?

Meat when listed as "meat" rather than "meat meal" is measured as the weight of meat with the water still included!

Foods that list "real chicken/beef" or chicken/beef first include the water weight in this ingredient. Chicken/beef in this form consists of 70% water.

The manufacturer counts the "water weight" of the meat, and lists meat first. With the water removed, your pet is getting 70% less "meat" than you were led to believe.

Fish...

Without further information, my guess would be generic "whitefish".

Merriam-Webster dictionary (and the human and pet food industry) define Whitefish as "any of various market fishes with white flesh that is not oily". Brands using this less expensive, generic fish will not be consistent from bag-to-bag (even within the same brands).

Whitefish is usually preserved with ethoxyquin. The meat filleted from the carcass goes into the human food chain...the head and carcass go into other brands of pet food. Ethoxyquin is regulated as a pesticide and cannot be added to human food, as it is known to have promoted kidney carcinogenesis. Also, it significantly increased incidence of stomach tumors and enhanced bladder carcinogesis.

The product information on the website doesn't appear to have been updated since Pre-October 2003, as I could not find the "Meaty Muesli" there...

It could be quite good, but I'm lacking the relevant information to make an informed judgement. :kissbetter:

• 4 months later...

i use science diet now and i think its a rip off im trying to find out which one of the premium foods is cheapest and im gonna start that one as for which ones best ive tried most 1) ROYAL CANIN most overated food ever ok it is good for them my doberman was at hes peak size while on royal canin but he didnt really like it that much and the pidgeons ate more of it then he did and it gave my dog constant watery stools 2) EUKANUBA my dogs liked this one but not as much as science diet and it helped make there stools normal again after the royal canin ..... 3) SCIENCE DIET my dogs love this one a bit to much so im changing because there eating a 18 kg bag every 2 weeks... 4) BONNIE WORKING DOG my doberman would not touch this food and while he was on it he lost serious weight ..if i had to pick the best one it would be science diet then eukanuba and i wouldnt recommend the other two...im gonna try optimum or eagle pack and hopefully stick to one of them

Edited by DobermanDave

Real meat with honey and coated cereal flakes.

I would be interested to know if this really is healthy;

-quality ingredients (selected)

-honey, real meat, carrot, bacon chips vitamin enriched, puffed rice, canola, fish and flaxseed oils. dried parsley, kealp and garlic, micronised flakes, cheese bals, bran fibre.

PROTEIN 20%

FAT 10%

FIBRE 3%

SALT 1%

CALCIUM TO PHOSHORUS 1.3:1

ENERGY LEVEL PER 100G 390 CAL.

ANY GOOD?

Meat is a generic term used to describe any part of ANY animal besides parts such as fur, hooves and stomach contents.

Did you know that "meat" can include euthanized cats and dogs? That also includes the chemicals that were used to kill them.

So based on the ingreadients, I can say with confidence that NO, this is NOT a healthy diet.

It is interesting to see the 'Meaty Muesli" The corn is whole pieces of dried corn, the puffed rice and at least some of the grains are whole etc. The meat pieces look like dried shredded meat that have been made into meaty pellets etc. I bought a bundle of the sealed bags for emergencies (while out camping, or crashing over night unexpectedly at friends etc) and of course had to open one to check it out. And apart from some colouring (red on some kibble and green on some others, nothing else 'looks' artificially coloured) it doesn't seem sooooo bad. I've also seen some dogs that are fed that only and they seem to be doing ok. However it's not something i will personally be using for other then the odd ocasion.

Especially since a cheap ready made BARF supplier has been found (check out the BigDog thread)

We've just changed from Supercoat Puppy over to Eukanuba, and have noticed a difference in b/c straight away. Her coat is glossy, she is HEAPS more active ( :) ) and #2's are firmer. Oh, and she wolfs it down. With the Supercoat, always had to put something with it, ie: egg, sardines, vegies, mince, etc, etc.

I can not believe there are so many people who feed their dogs dry food. As an owner of a dog who constantly bloats, I have found that dry food was the blame. I am now an avid BARF feeder and there is no dry food in this house whatsoever.

I have also read and am still learning as much as I can on dry food and the causes of bloat, the why's and whatfor's that causes bloat. I find that dry food is the worst offender.

Do a google search with 'bloat and dry food' as your heading. Would love to hear opionins on the matter from others.

Do a google search with 'bloat and dry food' as your heading. Would love to hear opionins on the matter from others.

Perhaps that's a whole new thread?

As to the kibble issue...it's up to each person what they feed their dogs...some breeds are more prone to the chances of bloat then others, also not everyone has the time and freezer space for BARF, nor does everyone which to feed such to their dogs. And that's their choice.

You dog has a predisposition to bloat, it's a shame but you have found a food that doesn't cause such a problem with your dog and that's great. But others don't have constant bloat as a problem for their dogs and if what they are feeding their dogs works for their dogs then who is to gainsay that?

Have tried

SCIENCE DIET

BONNIE

EUKANUBA

ROYAL CANIN

ADVANCE

and many others tried but i stick with 2 foods

supercoat puppy (even for adults)

box 1 gold (greyhound formula) :)

my choices are fresh veg and meat scraps too :)