Cairn Terrier Questions

Crazy Daisy

My mum is starting to look into getting a dog. She lives in a ground floor unit with two very large patios and the dog will be an inside dog. The unit block is approved for pets.

We were looking through the breed pages on DOL and she has taken a real shine to the Cairn Terrier. She works full time but walks every morning and afternoon. I don't know much about the breed, I have only met a handful as a groomer, but the ones I met were lovely dogs.

Her main concern is their adaptability to living in a unit. Would they be a suitable for a single dog household and being left from around 8.30 am to 5pm each day alone?

Thanks in advance :)

Mmm, possibly, depends where it is and what it has during the day to do? Like most terriers they CAN become barkers, diggers if bored. I find that generally after the age of 3 they settle right down and prefer to lounge about in the sun, but before then they can be cheeky little blighters and need cosistant training. I liken them to doggy cats..they do not have the drive to please unless they feel like it! Don't get me wrong, they can be great little pals and a person best friend, but consistancy is the key.

People work, dogs learn to adapt. But I would say any terrier is probably not the best choice for a stay at home all day by itself dog...they will always find a way to amuse themselves and not in always the best way..lol :laugh: But if someone was keen to make it work, I don't see why they couldn't, ie bones, kongs, toys etc

They are a comical wee dog, always doing something funny, don't shed all over the house but need a comb through minimum of weekly as being double coated to get undercoat out. Don't tend to smell much either. Healthy breed, fairly sound breed. Either and indoor or outdoor or both. Great walking companion, can go for miles. Food driven 99.9% of the time! Lol!

Also are not 100% reliable of lead, they are high prey driven, but many live with cats after growing up with them.

Good with children and young kids, tollerant, easy going and not snappy or yappy..unless there is something to bark at, cat, possum etc..ok guard dogs, will bark but then probably lick a stranger to death!

Reread your post and about unit..dosnt matter, as your mum walks so that would keep puppy pal happy and then have a game and cuddle on the couch..I think there are a few cairny owners on dol to confirm that too :)

Can't think of anything else right now, hope that helps?

Edited by Missymoo

Thank you MissyMoo. I have tried to suggest she gets an older dog but she insists on a puppy.

Would a Cairn do better in a kennel outside when she is at work (space to run) or be more suited to being in the bathroom? Toys of course will be provided. :D

On the subject or terriers... I met a fellow at agility with a Border Terrier. It was a lovely dog & he said he chose that breed because unlike other terrier breeds, the Border does not dig and is not a problem barker. Can anybody confirm this ??? Sounds too good to be true. :)

On the subject or terriers... I met a fellow at agility with a Border Terrier. It was a lovely dog & he said he chose that breed because unlike other terrier breeds, the Border does not dig and is not a problem barker. Can anybody confirm this ??? Sounds too good to be true. :)

I have to say I love the breed. But ... most of the ones I know are very loud and super active.

I had a Cairn in a unit/townhouse, with a court yard (and we both worked full time). He was outside during the day and inside with us at night. He was the loveliest dog - a real character, although very independent. He was more inclined to sit at my feet than on my lap. Agree with the comments about off lead. Generally he was pretty good, but not 100% reliable. He was brilliant when the kids came along, and put up with alot. He liked to dig (lots), and hated the neighbours cat with a passion :) Not alot of lizards or anything else survived in our yard.

I will always say ANY dog can become a barker and a digger, its somthing bored dogs do....I think some are less prone to it though..ie I have a 13 week old ppup who is starting to try to dig..I have given him a couple of firm no's and water gun squirts and he dosnt do it anymore (this wasnt a bored dig, but "hey what happens if I do this" dig! lol None of my others dig and only bark at cats that DARE walk on thier fence and a naughty possum!! Next doors dog DRIVES ME CRAZY with her barking..shes a min pin cross somthing??

I always suggest to new owners start with a laundry situation until pupis about 6-7 months and at almost full height, then outdoors they will more likely be happier while waiting for mum to come home :)

Our Border is inside unless we are home or she digs out! She's an awesome little digger and once she worked out their were neighbours chooks, roos and cats she could chase if she dug out, it became an obsession. She's happy to be inside and happily runs in every morning after her morning run, but leave her outside while no one is home and there's no more Gracie in the yard. We placed chook wire, then cockie wire down from the fence across the perimiter of our fence and she would find weak areas or corners which weren't as well done and dig under and out. Once she had something in her mind, there's no stopping her. She's super determined and very prey driven.

Awesome little dog though, very cute and very sweet, and once we solved the digging out issue, she's easy to live with. Gets along with all our other bitches and doesn't give a hoot about the dominance crap that two of the other girls can try and pull.

We don't have issues with her barking. She will give one warning bark but doesn't continuously bark. She spots/hears things before the other dogs do, and usually is the first to know something is going on.

The patios are tiled and all Mum's pots are HUGE so a dog couldn't reach inside them to dig.

Having thought about it a bit more today I think she could quite easily close the bedroom door and put a baby gate into the living/dining room. That was the puppy would have access to the bathroom, kitchen and entrance way (quite big). Would that be big enough?

I've tried Persephone to convince her of the benefits of an older dog but she has her mind set on a puppy as we have always had our dogs from puppies. I a keeping an eye out on DOL's mature dog pages in the hope there is one in Sydney for her to go and meet. :D

So it is sounding doable. Any things I should tell her to watch out for in the breed, hereditary or temperament wise?

When I got Isaak, we blocked off the front entrance and hallway from the rest of the house by making use of bi-fold doors and latches. It was plenty of space for a puppy, our front entrance is a hexagonal shape lined with windows which he could see out of, and we left some toys, water and a crate with the door propped open.

That was his home while we were at work until he was big enough to be left outside with the other dogs.

first few weeks have her or someone else come in at lunchtime to feeed and play with pup

and make sure towels are off the towel railing in the bathroom - I left my griffon pup on his first day, made sure the whole house was puppyproof, came home a couple of hours later, couldn't find him, he had dragged a towel off the rail and was under it :o lucky he was okay but it was one thing I didn't think of.

On this note my griffon pup is left in the house all day and has been since I got him, I have other dogs and they are outside when I'm not at home. Occasionally one of the golden retreivers has been inside with him but not every day. He has been fine, he brings all my clothing out to the family room but apart from that doesn't appear stressed, fine when I leave him in the morning and very happy when I get home. So I think it's perfectly doable. any chance of convincing your mum a griffon would be good :laugh: terrier personality from my understanding but quieter, very lovable and lively so two walks a day would be good. Not a big barker and seems to cope with being alone.

and make sure towels are off the towel railing in the bathroom - I left my griffon pup on his first day, made sure the whole house was puppyproof, came home a couple of hours later, couldn't find him, he had dragged a towel off the rail and was under it :o lucky he was okay but it was one thing I didn't think of.

On this note my griffon pup is left in the house all day and has been since I got him, I have other dogs and they are outside when I'm not at home. Occasionally one of the golden retreivers has been inside with him but not every day. He has been fine, he brings all my clothing out to the family room but apart from that doesn't appear stressed, fine when I leave him in the morning and very happy when I get home. So I think it's perfectly doable. any chance of convincing your mum a griffon would be good :laugh: terrier personality from my understanding but quieter, very lovable and lively so two walks a day would be good. Not a big barker and seems to cope with being alone.

I have already warned her about towels and toilet paper being shredded. :laugh:

No chance of convincing her of a Griffon. She thinks my Shih Tzu, Daisy, is ugly and you should have seen her reaction the first time she met my OH's Boston Terrier x :eek: Her favourite saying about Jemica was "Are you sure she's supposed to look like that?" :rofl: She is definitely not into squishy faces.

aww your mum is saying my baby's squishy face is ugerly?

nomore.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

I knew about the toilet paper, I didn't even think about the towels but even now he grabs clothes when I'm trying to put them on and towels.