Hi Eveyone

wantsapuppy

We are potentially looking to get a dog or 2.

We have 4 children and potentially thinking about having a coulpe more.

my question is what kind of breeds would you recommend for a family with a few kids.

I had a quick google earlier and it came up with the likes of boxers, labs ( family friendly). Any more suggestions would be appreciated

Edited by wantsapuppy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of grooming are you will to and what about exercise? How much will the dog get? Also I would only get one puppy to start with. Have you considered an older dog? Might be easier with 4 kids as you know the temperament and you miss the stressful puppy stage

Exercise- Nothing to over the top. An hour a day. so no dogs that need a couple f hours a day. as my hubby works in melb so will only be able to walk once maybe occasionly twice a day

I dont want anything with a long coat as there is a good chance there wont e much time for long extended grooming .

Hi!

Boxers and labs are gorgeous dogs, but before you decide on a breed it would be a good idea to have a think about what you really want from a dog. Each breed has it's own merits, and the first step in trying to help you find the right breed for your family is figuring out what you want from it, and what it can expect from you.

Some questions to consider...

• Do you want a dog that has lots of energy and needs lots of attention, or would you rather a more laid back, quiet companion dog? How much exercise would you be able to give a dog without it being a major hassle?

• How much time are you prepared to spend training the puppy? Whether at a puppy training class, or at home if you have experience, your dog needs to learn what is expected of it if it is to be a good and happy member of your family.

• What other kind of activities do you think you would like to do with the dog? Do you think you would like to do flyball, or agility, or showing, or competitive obedience, or dancing with dogs? All of these activities can be really fun for any dog, but if you want to be really competitive, certain breeds really excel.

• Would the dog be allowed in the house with you, or would it live in the backyard only?

• Where would the dog sleep? Some breeds really don't cope well with sleeping outside.

• Do you want a dog that doesn't shed very much, or are you ok with a dog that drops a lots of fur and/or needs lots of regular grooming?

• Is drool an issue for you? :laugh: Some breeds barely drool at all, whereas others never stop!

• What size dog do you want? Things to consider here: bigger dogs require a little more food, need bigger beds/kennels, and cost more when you're looking at health care (everything from worming tablets to vaccinations to anaesthetic is weight based). On the other hand, a lot of larger breeds require LESS exercise and don't need a huge backyard.

Hi!

Boxers and labs are gorgeous dogs, but before you decide on a breed it would be a good idea to have a think about what you really want from a dog. Each breed has it's own merits, and the first step in trying to help you find the right breed for your family is figuring out what you want from it, and what it can expect from you.

Some questions to consider...

• Do you want a dog that has lots of energy and needs lots of attention, or would you rather a more laid back, quiet companion dog? How much exercise would you be able to give a dog without it being a major hassle?

1 hour a day more then likely at most

• How much time are you prepared to spend training the puppy? Whether at a puppy training class, or at home if you have experience, your dog needs to learn what is expected of it if it is to be a good and happy member of your family.training would be done at a puppy training place

• What other kind of activities do you think you would like to do with the dog? Do you think you would like to do flyball, or agility, or showing, or competitive obedience, or dancing with dogs? All of these activities can be really fun for any dog, but if you want to be really competitive, certain breeds really excel. To be honest i hadnt relly looked in to these as yet as we have ony just thought that maybe we woud like to get a puppy, but i will definatly check them out

• Would the dog be allowed in the house with you, or would it live in the backyard only? Yes dog would be allowed inseide with us

• Where would the dog sleep? Some breeds really don't cope well with sleeping outside. Inside

• Do you want a dog that doesn't shed very much, or are you ok with a dog that drops a lots of fur and/or needs lots of regular grooming? Something that doesnt EXCESSIVELY shed. BUt some shedding isnt an issue as i vaccume everyday anyway

• Is drool an issue for you? :laugh: Some breeds barely drool at all, whereas others never stop! As long as its not excessive. Im used to baby drool and spew so whats a bit more LOL

• What size dog do you want? Things to consider here: bigger dogs require a little more food, need bigger beds/kennels, and cost more when you're looking at health care (everything from worming tablets to vaccinations to anaesthetic is weight based). On the other hand, a lot of larger breeds require LESS exercise and don't need a huge backyard.Am looking at something on the bigger side

Labs have a beautiful nature, but they are pretty boisterous, especially with young kids. An older Lab though is really great with kids, they mellow a bit when they get to about 4-5.

But they tend to shed A LOT. One of mine doesn't shed excessively, but the other does, even drives ME a bit bonkers!

I'd also consider getting an older dog - breeders often have young but not puppy dogs for sale (see the 'mature' listing on www.dogzonline.com.au). I got my girl at 3.5 years old which was great as she was toilet trained and I didn't have to worry about puppy training, adolescence and various other aspects of puppyhood that I kind of.. wasn't up for at this stage in my life :D

I'd also second the retired greyhound advice. They're beautiful dogs, don't need lots of exercise (despite what many people think), don't shed excessively or require grooming other than the odd brush here and there. They're really gentle, clean and loving creatures.

Retired Greyhound. Large, laid back, good with kids, doesn't require huge amounts of exercise.

With four kids already and planning more I would defininitely go with an older dog. Puppies are extremely time consuming.

there is something about greyhounds that kinda creep me out. Weird i know but hey what can i say :)

Retired Greyhound. Large, laid back, good with kids, doesn't require huge amounts of exercise.

With four kids already and planning more I would defininitely go with an older dog. Puppies are extremely time consuming.

there is something about greyhounds that kinda creep me out. Weird i know but hey what can i say :)

Have you met any?

If not I would highly recommend you contact a local Greyhound rescue like GAP and go out to meet some of the dogs, once you meet a greyhound that "creepiness" goes away and they really grow on you.

Have you met any?

If not I would highly recommend you contact a local Greyhound rescue like GAP and go out to meet some of the dogs, once you meet a greyhound that "creepiness" goes away and they really grow on you.

no i havent :dropjaw:

unless you have the time to devote to training a lab puppy i wouldn't recommend one for your possibly increasing family. Yes, generally they are lovely dogs, and great with kids, but to get that sweet puppy to turn into a great family dog you will need to invest a great deal of time in training beyond the early puppy preschool stage. The idea that they are great family dogs is somewhat of a notion; they require firm leadership and training to develop into the great family dog. They are very much 'shadow' dogs and like to be with the family a lot of the time. They also shed a lot of hair. The average price for a registered lab is $1200-1400. Add desexing, worming, toys, training treats, collars/leads, council registration, high quality food etc and you are spending quite a bit of money both initially and after the purchase.

Unless you have the time to develop the sweet looking puppy into the type of dog that will fit into your family, i wouldn't recommend the breed; you could very well end up with an large out of control dog around your children - never a good outcome. With four kids and possibly 2 more, I'm not sure your lifestyle will give you the time to raise a lab pup into a terrific family dog.

I would agree with what has been previously mentioned and suggest a mature dog. JMHO

Edited by suziwong66