Help

Atanquin

Okay zorro was foaming at the mouth but acting fine I rinsed it out with water and called the vet he asked to check his temp and that was normal I asked if I should bring him in and apparently they had 2 dogs in surgery after being hit by a car so they where full and only taking serious stuff so he told me to keep an eye on him and he is fine now no foam it didn't last long and he is now sleeping he didn't panic so I think I will se how he is in the morning he could have licked a toat or something.

( I live an 1 hr out of town so that is why I called the vet)

Edited by Atanquin

How is Zorro doing? If he just licked a toad (as opposed to swallowing one) a big dog like that should be ok.smile.gif

A dog does not have to swallow a toad to be affected by the poison which is excreted by the glands on the back of the toad. Simply mouthing a toad can be enough to cause serious and often deadly reactions.

Rinsing the dogs mouth out from the side with running water for 10 minutes helps to flush the toxin from the mouth where it is absorbed through the mucous membranes.

Frothing, drooling, bright red inside cheeks and gums all mean you need to flush with water and quickly.

The poison from a toad is sticky so needs to be wiped out with a wet washer. Make sure to get under the gums as well and then rinse the mouth out with water once it has been wiped down. I normally do this routine three times to make sure I get it all.

He was outside looked like he was playing with somthing then came in and started frothing but I found a dead frog this morning I couldn't see it last night it was a green one so I think that might have been it as there was nothing else at all he could have gotten I checked

Our dog growing up caught so many Cane Toads - literally dozens of them - and every time, we just rinsed her mouth out with the hose and she never suffered any ill effects. Keep an eye on him, but he should be fine. :)