Help With Dog Who Is No Longer Clean Overnight

catswhiskers

Hi HELP. we have a 4.5 year old female labrador who has over the last month begun intermittently defecating at night in the laundry. previously highly reliable about such matters with only very occaisional accidents when unwell. No change to feeding (6.30 am and 6-7pm) or food.Is walked every morning for 40 minutes, and has another walk with off lead time in the afternoons 3-5 times a week. This later walk has recently been not quite so reliable. Sleeps inside with the cat, sleeping outside is a problem because of wandering cats winding her up and then barking annoys the neighbours (and me). She is taken outside prebedtime and sometimes is reluctant to wee or poo but this isn't corelated with overnight soiling. after mishaps, laundry is always well cleaned with Biozet to minimise odours. She always looks guilty when she's done this and we are at a loss to know how to stop it. Feeding her earlier isn't easily feasible unless we just feed her once a day. A late night walk isn't enticing in our inner west Sydney location. any ideas gratefully recieved.

Can you put in a dog door?

Option B is sleep her somewhere where she can tell you she needs to go outside. Right now she doesn't have much option if she needs to go.

Have you changed what you feed her recently?

She's not feeling guilty by the way, she's feeling anxious and potentially anticipating being punished. Generally a dog will not willingly defecate in their sleeping area.

Edited by poodlefan

A vet check would be the first step.

Jot down ANYTHING which has changed - food, health.,neighbours,family , sleeping arrangements .... anything.

NOT being cross or anything would be the second - worrying about your reaction will maybe cause more problems .

After vet check/blood tests /whatever .. then work on a plan :)

Edited by persephone

Jot down ANYTHING which has changed - food, health.,neighbours,family , sleeping arrangements .... anything.

NOT being cross or anything would be the second - worrying about being your reaction will maybe cause more problems .

thankks for your reply, I agree punishing her is useless as she would have no idea what she's being grumbled at for. So far I just tend to ask her in an 'Oh dear voice" what have you done.? On clean mornings she gets lots of praise for being a good girl ... as she does when she goes out before bed and does what a girl needs to do!@!!

So far I just tend to ask her in an 'Oh dear voice" what have you done.

..and that is not doing anything positive either ;) Just letting her know you are concerned about something ..and making her a bit uneasy .

When accidents happen here - I just look/put dog out/clean up with no talking or anything different ....

I agree with what others have said - firstly go to the vet for a review (unless you HAVE changed what you feed her on).

No punishment of any kind, no change of your tone etc, just clean up and you can use vinegar and water or Napisan and water mix.

Put in a doggie door.

Try feeding full meal in the morning - my friend does this and her dogs are outside all day and poop as they need to. She took on one of my fosters that was always having accidents here when I was at work because she would not use the doggie door for some reason. At my friend's place, with the change of routine and situation she's the perfect fit.

NOT being cross or anything would be the second - worrying about being your reaction will maybe cause more problems .

I agree with what others have said - firstly go to the vet for a review (unless you HAVE changed what you feed her on).

No punishment of any kind, no change of your tone etc, just clean up and you can use vinegar and water or Napisan and water mix.

Put in a doggie door.

Try feeding full meal in the morning - my friend does this and her dogs are outside all day and poop as they need to. She took on one of my fosters that was always having accidents here when I was at work because she would not use the doggie door for some reason. At my friend's place, with the change of routine and situation she's the perfect fit.

Thanks for your reply. I will be (try hard t be !) more al mabout mishaps. She never has been punished for this because thereis no point, but I agree a ange in tone may be making her more anxious. Last night everything went perfectly! We cn't put in a doggie door, she is too big for it not to be burglar proof plus the doors don't lend themselves to modification. Ths weekend we will start feeding her everything in the am...perhaps best after her long walk.

thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far