Solo Dog Owners

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One dog only and will be staying that way. After having my little boy and another bubba on the way, one dog is the best way to go. He can still be a part of the family and is easy to look after. Some people have far too many dogs anyway (pet owners rather than breeders I mean). I'd rather have less and do it all properly.

One dog only and will be staying that way. After having my little boy and another bubba on the way, one dog is the best way to go. He can still be a part of the family and is easy to look after. Some people have far too many dogs anyway (pet owners rather than breeders I mean). I'd rather have less and do it all properly.

This is EXACTLY our situation, I totally get what you're saying...when our first baby was born, we had 4 rabbits, three cats, and 2 dogs. (we were never supposed to have skinkids, so had lots of animals instead) 2 of the rabbits got very sick and were PTS not long after she was born, but I find myself spread thin making sure everyone's needs are met, and with another bub due soon I guess that feeling will get worse. They certainly get less attention nowadays :( . As awful as this sounds, as much as I love them all, there are days when I wish I just had one of each.

We moved house a couple of weeks ago, and the dogs went into boarding for a week while we sorted out the fencing, and I was quite shocked at how much easier it was having two less babies to care for.

So after reading another thread I was amazed at how many owners have multiple dogs, some having an amazing number (no names mentioned Indigirl ;) ).

So I was wondering if there are many out there like me who have a solo dog. I must say that my situation is about being an apartment dweller and more about bleeding strata rules than practicalities. I have Tonka, a Papillon, and he seems very content on his own. He is very people focused and doesn't particularly play with other dogs at the dog park.

He spends up to five days a week at home alone and he is a happy little vegemite, and loves his home...

I'd love to hear of any others solos dogs out there :)

We have a solo dog, but she really LOVES other dogs to play, so we go everday to meet with other similar dogs.

We wanted 2, but after a trial with 2 pups(siblings) when Sally was little, it was too difficult and they also started fighting alot. After much angst we rehomed one to a farm with older dogs.

We might get another when Sally matures a bit more (shes 2).

We have 2 cats as well.

Bella is a solo dog for now. As I'm studying and living at home at the moment with my mum who's most definitley a 'one-dog person' I don't imagine I'll get a second for a few years, but I would like a second (or third!) Saluki once I've left home.

Panto's a solo girl! I am fairly sure she's very happy that way, loves a play with her friends and her outings, but at home, she likes to have mum and anyone else in the home all to herself, but is also very good at sharing if she has to (ie if there happens to be a foster or a visiting canine!)

This is EXACTLY our situation, I totally get what you're saying...when our first baby was born, we had 4 rabbits, three cats, and 2 dogs. (we were never supposed to have skinkids, so had lots of animals instead) 2 of the rabbits got very sick and were PTS not long after she was born, but I find myself spread thin making sure everyone's needs are met, and with another bub due soon I guess that feeling will get worse. They certainly get less attention nowadays :( . As awful as this sounds, as much as I love them all, there are days when I wish I just had one of each.

We moved house a couple of weeks ago, and the dogs went into boarding for a week while we sorted out the fencing, and I was quite shocked at how much easier it was having two less babies to care for.

im not in your situation with any skinkids atm, but my dogs will always be part of the family and i know im gonna be stretched pretty tight for time whenever a skinkid comes along...

that said my dogs get on fabulously and i guess entertain each other when i am unavailable or cannot do it

Edited by dandybrush

We have two dogs at the moment but I've been thinking alot about this and I actually think that I would go down the road of having a solo dog. For me it would be much easier in terms of training, exercising, if we go away only one dog to find a babysitter for etc. I would really devote so much time and energy into one dog rather than it being spread over two. I think it would just be more managable.

BUT... then I think about leaving one dog home by itself all the time when I go to work. The thought breaks my heart and every day I would feel guilty. So I'm not sure if I could actually do it :o

We have two dogs at the moment but I've been thinking alot about this and I actually think that I would go down the road of having a solo dog. For me it would be much easier in terms of training, exercising, if we go away only one dog to find a babysitter for etc. I would really devote so much time and energy into one dog rather than it being spread over two. I think it would just be more managable.

BUT... then I think about leaving one dog home by itself all the time when I go to work. The thought breaks my heart and every day I would feel guilty. So I'm not sure if I could actually do it :o

that really is the crux of it for us looking to add as well.

Solo dog owner here.

My dog literally doesn't like any other dog. He doesn't get along with most females (unless they're on heat, all of a sudden he gets chummy) and he also dislikes other males.

If I take him to the dog park, all the 'normal' dogs will be playing together in the middle of the park, he simply walks around the edges and marks anything and everything, being anti-social.

That's why I don't have another dog. lol.

They are fine by themselves when you go to work, provided you walk and interact with them when you are home. Obviously this is easier if you let them inside with you.

Our boy is an inside dog - he gets taken out for an hour before and after work - and we interact with him when home I just feel really bad leaving him for 8hrs a day while I'm at work, when I know he sleeps for most of it anyway.

But.. in saying that i have noticed he is a lot calmer in our evening dog park session now that he has someone at home with him - so I think it does make a bit of a difference.

Hmmm my first dog was fine to be left alone - he just snoozes, was never naughty. Then we got a second dog and funnily enough she is the one with separation issues and who wrecks things, and she has the other dog for company!

I think two is a good number but yes some things were definitely easier with one dog that's for sure.

We are also a solo dog household... but I'm hoping to add another puppy to the family once our first is a little bit older (and hopefully wiser!). I'm already majorly puppy clucky, but alas, the time is not right yet.

i had one of those OH who didn't want another dog. I broke him down luckily. :thumbsup: My first dog loves playing with other dogs and its working out fantastically.

there is still a borzoi pup looking for a home you know ;) Well atleast last time i checked.

My OH was like that too. When Kez destroyed his car, that's when he decided that she was bored and should have a friend. So I got my way and got Hales, and it's worked out perfectly - OH thinks that getting her was the best thing we did and now we'll always have two dogs.

Guest donatella

Solo dog owner here.

My dog literally doesn't like any other dog. He doesn't get along with most females (unless they're on heat, all of a sudden he gets chummy) and he also dislikes other males.

If I take him to the dog park, all the 'normal' dogs will be playing together in the middle of the park, he simply walks around the edges and marks anything and everything, being anti-social.

That's why I don't have another dog. lol.

you possibly shouldn't be taking your dog to dog parks if you know he doesn't like other dogs, might be an accident waiting to happen there