Price Range

wantsapuppy

I recently had a lady on my waiting list for a puppy. Then they started to really think about the work involved with a wee baby...and we had lots of lengthy discussions about it and she decided to go for a 4 month old that I had run on. Well, she is over the moon and they love him to bits. She was happy that she did go for the older one, as he had already been out and about, was lead trained, and she says he runs around with the kids but acts differently around one of the kids that has aspergers.

Often breeders do have older dogs - dogs not scoring good enough to breed with, but are suitable for pet homes.... or ex show dogs that may have just hated the show ring. We have limits on what we can keep, and as hard as it is, sometimes its better for the dogs to go to a family home where they can be spoilt rather than being one of many.

As for the pricing....I've seen pet shops sell chocolate labs for over $1800 or labradoodles for the same - so for a pup from a registered "ethical" breeder, who does all the health checks and breeds quality dogs - then I don't think $1500 is excessive at all. I've seen them range anywhere from $1000 to over $2500 - the latter being too much for a pet IMO.

Sure you can buy them cheaper if you look around...but also have a look at the quality of the dogs. Have a look at the "breeders" that advertise gold or cream coloured Labs (labs don't come in those colours and breeders that "know" their stuff wouldnt advertise them like that)... what do they do with their dogs ? Do they have 2 pets in the back yard and just breed them ?

I've seen some shocking adverts for pups.... eg. litter due in 3 weeks....will all be SHOW quality pups. Cripes...wish I had their crystal ball.

Labradors are a popular breed - that is true. But unfortunately that has its problems of ppl just breeding because they are popular.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some labs can be great with kids, if you had gotten one from Masons lines there would be no issue i dont think he is really gentle not jumpy etc... But can be excited around other dogs.... Fast forward to Gibbs and he couldnt be around kids - just too bouncy and rough but not mouthy..

I was looking for a lab pup this year, couldnt get away with anything under $1350 for a pup in WA....

It really depends on the puppy but you have to be prepared for everything. Hopefully the breeder should be able to choose a calmer, more suitable puppy for you.

My puppy Mindy would not have lasted long in a young family. Her brother was rehomed to a more experienced home for that reason. Her whole litter was extremely boisterous, energetic, dominant and mouthy. She used to try to mouth you all the time, hardly ever slept and would run around nipping you or latching onto your leg.

She has turned into a lovely dog, but probably still not ideal for a family with young kids as she just needs too much exercise and mental stimulation.

Having said that I do know of lab and golden pupies that were the perfect puppies- slept most of the time, gentle, quiet. They are now nice family pets that don't require huge amounts of work to keep them happpy :)

Its worth getting pet insurance for your puppy as soon as it comes home! Mindy cost me nothing and even had most of her costs covered for ther first year, but a recent illness set as back a few thousand as we didn't have pet insurance.

That's probably why lab puppies are made so cute, it's a survival mechanism so their new owners don't kill them! LOL!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Currently my pup, 8 months, is left inside with another one of my dog while I am work (fencing issues!!). Everyday before I go I shut every door and put everything up high. When I get home everyday I walk around to find what she has destroyed (not if she has!). It is a good day when it is just an empty box. :laugh:

The other day I was out for 10 minutes and she pulled my handbag off the table, pulled everything out and chewed my purse.

But.......she is so cute!!! (Can't you tell my looking at her she is trouble ;))

post-38246-0-21390300-1318999783_thumb.jpg

Edited by buddy1

I would urge you to consider an older dog - I got my dog at 3 years from a breeder. She had had puppies and they didn't want to breed from her anymore, so were looking for a pet home for her. It worked out perfectly for me, as she came already toilet trained, was out of her nippy/mouthing stage, and was a calm and settled girl. She had been brought up with kids too, and is totally bombproof around them. She didn't have much (if any) obedience, so I took her to obedience school and had no trouble at all. I know that training an older dog is supposedly harder than training a puppy, but for us it wasn't hard at all. I've never had problems training older dogs.

I've had her since March and it's really been a dream- I keep in contact with her breeder too, so it's almost like I got her as a puppy, except I skipped all the hard parts!

NB: She's not a lab, but the same principles apply to all breeds, IMO. Older puppies or dogs, not necessarily OLD as such, are often much much easier.

I took on Shae when she was 5 years old, she had never had any formal training and had never done any dog activities beyond being a house pet....and she's been easy to train. Attentive, responsive, willing to please and doesn't distract easy. I haven't trained her in obedience, I've been training her in herding, where she has to work off-leash all the time, listen to me and learn and follow my commands, and control her desire to chase the stock. Since Easter, which was her very first time with sheep, she's gained her herding instinct certificate and two titles.

Older dogs aren't harder to train than puppies, in fact I think they're easier because their brain has matured and they are more focussed and more settled.

I'm all in favor of rescues, but they aren't all smooth. I had a family buy a Lab pup from me. They did a wonderful time with him, and had a responsive, sensitive, wonderful young dog. One day he broke into the garage and broke into some snail pellets that no one even knew were there. They found him dead. They hoped I might have an adult dog to place with them, but I didn't. I encouraged rescue, and found a rescue Lab in the Eastern States (none could be found in WA) for them. The husband flies a lot on business, and was able to bring the dog out as excess baggage. The dog was a disaster. One of those Labs with no off button . . . made worse because he had had no training in puppyhood. Three years old . . . never settling.. . no ability to concentrate. They did behaviouralist work with little success. The family eventually went overseas and chose to leave the dog with another family. The other family had problems too.

The gift horse is the first horse whose teeth you should check. If someone is looking to rehome a pedigree dog you'd expect to pay, say $1000 for, and is charging an adoption fee of $100, there may be a problem they aren't telling you about. Perhaps temperament, perhaps health problems. Most rescues work out well, and I'll never hesitate to recommend rescue, particularly if someone either doesn't want to, or isn't set up to, deal with a young puppy. But don't jump in with your eyes closed.

I took on Shae when she was 5 years old, she had never had any formal training and had never done any dog activities beyond being a house pet....and she's been easy to train. Attentive, responsive, willing to please and doesn't distract easy. I haven't trained her in obedience, I've been training her in herding, where she has to work off-leash all the time, listen to me and learn and follow my commands, and control her desire to chase the stock. Since Easter, which was her very first time with sheep, she's gained her herding instinct certificate and two titles.

Older dogs aren't harder to train than puppies, in fact I think they're easier because their brain has matured and they are more focussed and more settled.

Have to agree. I got Millie at 2 years old and within a couple of years she had several obedience titles and agility titles. She is at the same level of training now as Ruby, who I got 2 years prior as a puppy. Millie was able to dive straight into training because she had the adult abilities to concentrate and learn :)

I'm all in favor of rescues, but they aren't all smooth. I had a family buy a Lab pup from me. They did a wonderful time with him, and had a responsive, sensitive, wonderful young dog. One day he broke into the garage and broke into some snail pellets that no one even knew were there. They found him dead. They hoped I might have an adult dog to place with them, but I didn't. I encouraged rescue, and found a rescue Lab in the Eastern States (none could be found in WA) for them. The husband flies a lot on business, and was able to bring the dog out as excess baggage. The dog was a disaster. One of those Labs with no off button . . . made worse because he had had no training in puppyhood. Three years old . . . never settling.. . no ability to concentrate. They did behaviouralist work with little success. The family eventually went overseas and chose to leave the dog with another family. The other family had problems too.

The gift horse is the first horse whose teeth you should check. If someone is looking to rehome a pedigree dog you'd expect to pay, say $1000 for, and is charging an adoption fee of $100, there may be a problem they aren't telling you about. Perhaps temperament, perhaps health problems. Most rescues work out well, and I'll never hesitate to recommend rescue, particularly if someone either doesn't want to, or isn't set up to, deal with a young puppy. But don't jump in with your eyes closed.

I think you will find many of us are of the opinion that the OP's family situation as it currently stands would fall into this category when we are talking about a LABRADOR puppy. Hence the recommendation for either an adult Lab or a puppy of a more manageable breed. I cannot understand how a breeder, knowing the details someone presents like 4 very young children with plans for more on the way, would be recommending a Labrador PUP for their situation? I'm baffled.

I think you will find many of us are of the opinion that the OP's family situation as it currently stands would fall into this category when we are talking about a LABRADOR puppy. Hence the recommendation for either an adult Lab or a puppy of a more manageable breed. I cannot understand how a breeder, knowing the details someone presents like 4 very young children with plans for more on the way, would be recommending a Labrador PUP for their situation? I'm baffled.

+1

The OP may not be inclined to look toward a lab rescue for the reasons stated above. However, there are a number of more mature lab dogs for sale listed in the mature section of DOL which could/would be much better suited to a (possibly expanding) family of 4 children (3 of them under 5 yrs). It appears some of these labs are no longer suitable for the breeders' original breeding program plans; not rehoming candidates.

RubyStar, it would also confound me if a breeder recommended a lab pup for this family.

wantsapuppy, we are not labelling you as being incapable of dealing with a puppy. We don't know you.

Based on the information you have provided us in your several threads, what a few of us are trying to reiterate to you is that the average Lab puppy is faaaaaaaaaaar more boisterous than a smaller and/or calmer breed. It is no match made in heaven bringing in a Lab puppy to a household with 4 young children (3 under 5?) The puppy will no doubt nip the children, the puppy will no doubt knock them over countless times. Your children are likely to become scared of the puppy, and will get hurt. The more they squeal to get away from the puppy, the more the puppy thinks they are playing, arouses it more, and nips/jumps more. We've just seen/heard of it all too often of a Lab puppy being introduced to a family with such small kids and the dog ends up with the blame, ending in either rehoming or a life banished to the backyard.

We are not saying you would do this as again, we don't know you personally, we are only offering advice based on our knowledge and experience. If I was introducing a puppy to kids that young, I'd be wanting them to have a positive experience. Not having to deal with being hurt and running away from the dog :(

You also said in your first thread asking for breed suggestions that one criteria was non or low shedding dog. A Lab is at the other end of the spectrum laugh.gif

Can I ask, have you owned a dog or puppy before?

Just to turn the tables a bit, can I ask what qualities does a Labrador possess that makes them fit your criteria in a dog for the family? You have to ask yourself what it is you want in a dog. What made you decide on a Lab? Have you had any first hand experience with any? :)

Edited by RubyStar

Wantsapuppy.

Every situation is different. I am an experienced dog owner of large breeds - and guarding breeds, and I have had them around children. My kids have been going to PPS since before they were born, know not to pick puppies up and are always supervised.

I had a breeder of a different breed to what I have now, tell me in no uncertain terms she didn't care what my experience was she would not sell me a puppy (of a smaller breed) as my kids were under 10. It didn't matter what I said, it was no. I came across my Whippet breeder who herself had a young child and she was happy to sell me a puppy. The puppy was brought up well with very close supervision. I had a just over 2yo and a 5 month old baby.

They are inside dogs and my children were well supervised and disiplined as required as well as having a puppy pen set up when I had to tend to something and couldn't watch the puppy/child.

Puppy got lots of training and is trained/trialled in Obedience, Agility and Jumpers and shown on occasion. My kids are now 6 and 4, we now have two and the dogs are great with the kids, the kids are great with the dogs.

Find the right breeder, pick the right pup (not full on) put the time in and it will work. Don't have the time, the right pup and no back up and it could be a disaster.

Edited by OSoSwift

I'll be completely honest with you. I decided I wanted a Lab when I was a teenager just because. That is the only reason. Took me 10 years to get one, and never in that time did I have any first hand experience with any. Boy was I in for a rude shock!!! I persevered with obedience classes week after week with most of them ending (or beginning!) in tears! With training, time and patience she eventually came good as a great family member. She still is prone to knocking my young nieces and nephews over in her excitement :o:laugh:

A Lab could be a great fit with your family, they ARE an incredible breed! I won't argue that bit :D But you either have to work reaaaaaaaaally hard in the puppy stage (which in a Lab, lasts 3-4 years, yes, YEARS!!!) so it becomes the perfect family member you want. Or hey why not fast forward and pick up an adult to begin with thumbsup1.gif

I'll be completely honest with you. I decided I wanted a Lab when I was a teenager just because. That is the only reason. Took me 10 years to get one, and never in that time did I have any first hand experience with any. Boy was I in for a rude shock!!! I persevered with obedience classes week after week with most of them ending (or beginning!) in tears! With training, time and patience she eventually came good as a great family member. She still is prone to knocking my young nieces and nephews over in her excitement :o:laugh:

A Lab could be a great fit with your family, they ARE an incredible breed! I won't argue that bit :D But you either have to work reaaaaaaaaally hard in the puppy stage (which in a Lab, lasts 3-4 years, yes, YEARS!!!) so it becomes the perfect family member you want. Or hey why not fast forward and pick up an adult to begin with thumbsup1.gif

sorry my post above wasnt trying to be rude .

I DONT want to do the whole Backyard breeder thing i want to go through a proper breeder.

Yes everyone here has said that the breed is very boisterous ( sp?) that is why im doing ALL the research about them and info and activities for them to do NOW before we go down this track

I understand its of "concern" having so many young kids with plans to have more. This is why i am wanting to do the proper research before we make a purchase. I DONT want to ust jump in and then think OH %&*^ ive made a HUIGE mistake thats not what i want at all.

There are alot of people that cope no problem with a lab puppy and small children. My last litter several of my puppies went to families with small children and the puppies have been wonderful :D .

IMO the biggest consideration for any puppy is time as puppies are hard work. So the question is "Do you have the time to spend time with your puppy and train your puppy?" When you have several young children for some this is no, where others actually have more time as they are an at home parent. As most of you training a lab is sooo important and even more so when there is children involved. If you don't have the time to train your puppy it is best to wait.

So my advice is research the challenges, as well as the good points about the breed. Then be patient and wait for the right litter and the right puppy. Yes labs are boisterous, but some more than others!

Edited by buddy1