Sleeping On Ground/concrete

MacG

Hello!

I am new to this forum :)

My husband and I have a 6 month old Newfoundland, and despite offering him 3 types of bedding he chooses to always sleep on the sandstone pavers/concrete/tiles.

I know that this is not good for large dogs, and while he will at times get onto the various beds- he mainly chooses to sleep directly on the ground.

Can anyone lend any ideas how to encourage him to only sleep/lay on the beds?

I even have a large mesh frame bed without bedding- so that it stays cool without blankets etc..... and he still chooses to lie on the floor- sometimes with his head resting on the elevated bed

Thanks in advance

Mine tend to prefer tiles when inside though do tend to move around at different times from bedding to the tiles etc. Main concern with sleeping on harder surfaces is development of bursa/pressure sores on the elbow. Provide alternatives if you can (the sand in a cool spot is a good idea for outside for example) but in the end it may just be a case of just monitoring and encouraging the dog to use the bed if possible. Dont stress too much though if that is not where he feels most comfortable. In the end they have their own mind :laugh:

Yes he sure does have a mind of his own :-P

We do encourage him to get onto the beds, but obviously can't monitor his movements 24/7

I love the sand pit idea- I just fear the sand from hair removal, and the trail of sand throughout the house LOL!

Thank you for all your suggestions too!

my family owned pyre's when i was a youngster for many years, and i always have remembered they NEVER slept on beds, couches, dog beds....they just preferred to sleep on tiles or carpet areas usually against the walls or furniture... the oldest pyre' they had lived to she was 15 yrs old.