Flea Allergy

GraceMcC

Hey, just wandering if anyone can tell me of a product wich helps sooth skin, and prevents itching from fleas?

I have a 12 month old Bullmastiff who has been effected by fleas.... I've never had a problem before until now.... I've been treating with frontline, and a dog wash (the name of which escapes me!).....

My poor boy is red all over his stomach and is losing fur in spots as he is scratching/chewing contsantly.

I've heard of a flea treatment which comes in a pill form..... its said to be really effective and the fleas supposedly "fall off" not long after having it.....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Guest lavendergirl

Does Comfortis sooth the itchiness and redness though - isn't it more of a preventative? A bit of paw paw ointment on the sore spots may help.

Hey, just wandering if anyone can tell me of a product wich helps sooth skin, and prevents itching from fleas?

I have a 12 month old Bullmastiff who has been effected by fleas.... I've never had a problem before until now.... I've been treating with frontline, and a dog wash (the name of which escapes me!).....

My poor boy is red all over his stomach and is losing fur in spots as he is scratching/chewing contsantly.

I've heard of a flea treatment which comes in a pill form..... its said to be really effective and the fleas supposedly "fall off" not long after having it.....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The pill forms are Capstar and Comfortis.

Capstar is a pill that kills fleas for up to 24 hours after taking it.

Comfortis is similar but lasts for a month.

If your dog has an allergy to fleas Comfortis will help in the long term, Capstar in the short term ... with the fleas.

They won't help with the allergy side of it. You may need to talk to your vet about some antihistamines to help him over it.

In the past I found Frontline to be next to useless. I was told by my vet that some fleas have become resistant to it and to alternate it with the other brand (Advantage?) but I prefer Comfortis - no sticky fingers!

The flea porducts will help with the fleas, but not the alergy. My JRT has a Flea alergy and one bite sends him into a frenzy of chewing and scratching(Heis treated monthly along with everyone else). The only thing that will stop it is going to the vets for meds. And Aloveen baths seem to help as well.

The way to confirm flea allergy is to get rid of the fleas and watch the allergy disappear. You might need something from the vet to soothe the initial lesions from the fleas but then a flea preventative that doesn't require the flea to bite e.g. Comfortis, Advantage, or Frontline etc are what you use.

PS - I'm pretty sure it says on the box of Comfortis that it IS suitable for flea allergy dogs.

Systemic flea control like Capstar and Comfortis don't really help with a flea allergic dog as they kill when the dog is bitten by the flea and that is too late as the allergic reaction starts when the flea bites. I use a spot on and a citronella spray as a deterent and have no problems.

Most important thing to know is that Frontline doesn't kill fleas but vets still sell it ... might still work on ticks I'm not sure.

Get Capstar - give him a dose one day.

Bath the dog. Wash all his bedding. Vacuum thoroughly - using flea powder on carpets, leave for 5 mins first.

Next day more Capstar. 3rd day, use Advantage (fleas only) or Advocate (fleas, heartworm, intestinal worms, lice and mites).

I would not use Comfortis personally (my friend's dogs had fits) or any other treatment that doesn't kill fleas outright.

Use Advocate or Advantage every month.

Re the rash on his stomach and elsewhere, have you got any Wandering Jew - I discovered a corner of my yard has a profuse outbreak and one of my dogs went chewing crazy. I washed him down with a wet cloth and he was better.

Systemic flea control like Capstar and Comfortis don't really help with a flea allergic dog as they kill when the dog is bitten by the flea and that is too late as the allergic reaction starts when the flea bites.

yes. ..and a red raw/fur losing dog would no doubt benefit from something to settle things down as well.