Planning Litters

cavaliers4eva

Personally, I have a pretty good idea of what litters I will be having in the next 3 years.

Different breeders do different things. And plans change if something goes amiss (e.g. a dog doesn't pass health clearances) or something goes well (e.g. a dog is imported from another country and so other plans are put on hold).

And then, of course, some breeders have unplanned accidents, too, which aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Really depends on the breeder - some have great long generational plans spanning decades, others not so much :D

I would say most breeders would have in mind when they're likely to next breed the bitch(es) they have - assuming all goes well.

Me, I stumble from disaster to disaster at the moment it would seem :(

Our current litter was planned 4 years ago and I know which dog/s I will be putting to the bitch we keep, the puppy bitch we have from our last litter was bred to go to certain dogs - semen from both is acquired - she just has to grow up. This is our 5th litter and we are ofcourse still working towards strengthening the tail female line in our dogs. I have my "dream pedigree's" sitting in my computer and I am working towards producing them in the flesh (and I can only hope I achieve what I want to :)).

I plan quite a long way ahead but it seldom ends out working that way. Point in case is my current puppy. She was specifically bred to put to my blue boy. Pedigree wise it is a superb mating but unfortunately the dog herself does not complement my blue boy so back to the drawing board. Not only do I still not have the right bitch to put to my blue (this is my 2nd try) but now I have to look for an outside stud that will suit her - sigh

I'm planning to import a bitch in whelp next year and already have the list narrowed down on where I will go to mate a daughter from that litter and other plans are set for the next few years (so long as something doesn't muck them up!)

I have a bitch that will be bred pending health tests, I will keep my eyes out for upcoming dogs but I already have a pretty good idea who I will use.

She is 5mths and her litters will likely occur around 2 years and 5 years. If I got a puppy enquiry now I would let them know what sort of time frame it will be and refer them to other breeders if they are looking now.

As they say though "Man makes plans, God laughs".

I have a bitch that will be bred pending health tests, I will keep my eyes out for upcoming dogs but I already have a pretty good idea who I will use.

She is 5mths and her litters will likely occur around 2 years and 5 years. If I got a puppy enquiry now I would let them know what sort of time frame it will be and refer them to other breeders if they are looking now.

As they say though "Man makes plans, God laughs".

I only have one girl and she is 11 months old. Pending health tests etc I also have a idea on who I would like to use over her if and when the time comes. I am also keeping my eyes open at new young stock coming up :)

When I picked my stud dog for my bitch, I started thinking about potential stud dogs for a bitch from the litter - because even though i wasnt planning to keep one, I knew it was a possibility. Turns out I did keep one, and have a fairly good idea of who I'd like to use, pending health tests although i am constantly looking at young up n comers in my breed and I am not afraid to go out of the state to find a decent dog to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I am plannign for the next 2-3 years. My first litter either beginning or end of next year depends on season timing and providing her xrays that have jsut been taken come back fine. i know i'll keep a bith so looking ahead to studs for her