The "correct" Commands.

Guest azaufc

Guest azaufc

Hello all, hoping for a few answers to my question.

I was told that when competing in ANKC obedience trials, that you must use specific words for commands. Example being that, recall's are either "COME" or "HERE". Stand is "STAND" and Down is "DOWN" etc..

My recall command is, and always has been, "FRONT". I used this word so that friends and family wouldn't abuse the recall word and have my dog "learn" to disobey the word some times.

My Down command is "DROP". I say drop because, "DOWN" is to "get down" etc..

I use "RISE" in place of obedience Stand. This is because, i use "STAND" in the show ring and i wish to have the two similar, but different stands recognized by my dog.

I have a couple of others, but you get the idea.

I have been looking through the ANKC rules, and i can't find anything saying that specific commands must be used.

Can anybody shed some light on the topic for me please.

The person that told me has competed, and is a very good trainer could she have misinterpreted at some stage?

:rofl:

I have my first trial on Friday, so i am hoping that i will not have to consider changing commands.

Thanks, sorry to dribble on. :o

Aaron

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that when competing in ANKC obedience trials, that you must use specific words for commands.

G'day, Eddy here.

It's been about 5 years since I trialed and this is what applied back then, but check the current rule book in case there has been some changes since then.

There are NO specific command words, but "all verbal commands must be in the English language unless approved otherwise by the Judge", so by this you can could use any English word you liked for a command word, BUT note everything that is mentioned into the section "Commands", ALSO in the section called "Reprimands" note the following regarding what words you CANNOT USE:-

"Reprimands: Reprimands must not under any circumstances be used in the Ring. A 'reprimand' means either verbal or physical and must incur a penalty or disqualification. Intimidating or abusive commands will be penalised."

Also, be careful in the UD Food Refusal exercise as this applies"-

"In leaving the dog, the only verbal command permitted by the Handler shall be the word 'Stay'."

Also, if you happen to speak any other language you could even use any language command words, but on approval from the judge, so if you choose another language have a chat to the judge maybe preferably before the trial starts to get the judge's approval.

Also, if you happen to have a vocal or speech problem, well you can do all the exercises without using any command words and just use hand signals only.

As an example, for the specific action of drop or down you could even use the command words, bed, flop, bubbles, treat, help, art, grass, lay, or any other thousands of words available but considering what I mentioned above.

To me (English is my second language) the rule that command have to be in English is a bit weird.

I mean, you can only say a command once, so what difference does it make what language it is in? What difference will it be if you say heal (you could be saying vegemite) or noga (in Polish)

Imagine if someone has an import from Germany that is UD equivalent and they cant trial here becouse the dog knows commands in German.

On another hand if you want to say "kiss butt" for a return to a heal position you are allowed.

Just weird.

I wanted to teach my dog commands in my native language so it wouldnt respond to just anyone, but that was shortlived when I found out that he HAS TO speak English.

Guest Shadowboxer

I interpret the rules as you can give a single command and that command must be one word and one syllable, e.g. find, stand, fetch, stay, wait, etc.. I imagine that the difficulty with a foreign word would be that, using Myszka's eaxample, 'noga' has two sylllables and would sound like a two word (extra) command, and that is why you would have to get the approval of the judge prior to entering the ring.

If I am right then you couldn't use 'vegemite' or 'kiss butt' :D

I cant find my dam rule book, the one syllable rule makes sense but i think it just says one word............must find rule book. You can say "over" for the directed jumping.

Makes sence about one sylable, dont have a rule book here, but I can not remember that is states that command has to be one sylable. I think one word is the rule. So I could use vegemite or kissmybuttski if I wanted to LOL

Correct me someone please!

Just thougth of it - some commands in Polish are one some 2 sylable, I think majority of German are 1.

I just dont see a point between saying come or comehere if the dog has been tought comehere as a command. So the here is the extra command????

Anyway - I became compliant with the rules of the clubs and dont have the problem, but I like to question things to understand WHY something is a rule.

OK since I am nowhere near UD level - when the dog has to retrieve over a jump is a command one word? OR can you say fetch, over or whatever you trained your dog to understand?

I found the rule book and it says one word, nothing about how many syllables.

If you did teach your dog Polish commands i dont think many judges if any would object.

You will have to try Myszka, get that dog to UD.

Perhaps not THAT dog :D maybe next one. This one doesnt fetch - remember?

BTW I havent started what you gave me.......

I'm sure that if I had some commands in Polish and asked a judge before the trial there would be no probs, most of them are human :D and will understand.

OK since I am nowhere near UD level - when the dog has to retrieve over a jump is a command one word? OR can you say fetch, over or whatever you trained your dog to understand?

You can only use one command. Fetch or over (or whatever word you choose), but not both :D

Oh, and my 'UD dog' (we are trialing, but not very succesfully) was also a dog that didn't fetch.... and it's not retrieving he blows at trials....

I dont do agility or trialling but could it be that it must be in English so that the judge understands ie if you say sit and the dog drops, thats wrong. But using another language, you could say <insert "sit" in another language>, your dog drops but the judge does not know that its incorrect

My goodness, does that make any sense?

You can only use one command. Fetch or over (or whatever word you choose), but not both ;)

Of course this will be only my PERSONAL opinion, but I think this rule is somewhat wrong.

Dumbell is thrown, if you say to the dog fetch it should just go and fetch it, perhaps without a jump. If you want your dog to fetch over a jump the command should be fetch, over.

But as I said that is MHO only.

In theory (of course) and not in a UD trial lets imagine that you have a jump to the left and a jump to the right and in the middle you throw a dumbell

If you say fetch the dog should run straight and get it, if you say fetch over right dog should fetch it over the right jump.

yes I know I'm dreaming :D

I just think it is important and difficult to teach dogs a series of words - such as go upstairs and get my red slippers instead of a one word fetch.

OK I will be quiet now, what do I know, dont even have a CD on my dog. :D

I dont do agility or trialling but could it be that it must be in English so that the judge understands ie if you say sit and the dog drops, thats wrong. But using another language, you could say <insert "sit" in another language>, your dog drops but the judge does not know that its incorrect

My goodness, does that make any sense?

Makes perfect sence, but a judge in obiedience knows what your dog should be doing as it is the judge that tells you what command is next.

You heal with your dog and judge says "drop your dog", so if you say vegemite you dog should lie down. makes no difference if its vegemite or whatever in another language. If your dog stands instead of droping everyone knows its done wrong.

If you were trailing in Europe you would have to remember the whole routine yourself and there would be no clues from the judge.

In Australia its easy, stand at the strarting peg and you are told what to do , almost step by step.

There you go you learned another thing :-)

myszka

The comment about the directed jumps makes sense to me LOL!

There is a directed jump and directed retrieve exercise (not sure what class though). I think with the directed jumping you use hand signals? Hand signals would be easier than teaching left and right voice commands! (started teaching Zoe that the other day).

Retrieving is the bane of my obedience too, it took me 4 years to teach Zoe! Diesel likes to put things in his mouth and carry them around more, so should be easier, but he drops it really quickly still.

Note to self: Bring dumbell to class next week and ask for help!