The "correct" Commands.

Guest azaufc

Tell me about it ;)

He knows shake hands, come, speak in two languages.

Hey he comes extra fast when I say masz or kielbasa :D (sausage for those that dont speak Polish)

I try not to make him completly biligual, just happend :(

Some of my friends adopted GLOS {gwos} for speak for their dogs. :D

Edited by myszka

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the comand also needs to be in english so if you out of nerves give the wrong command the judge knows it is you that has stuffed up not the dog?? dunno if they penalise differently for that in the higher classes or not ?

On the question of handlers using different words for various exercises – I was stewarding in the UD ring last weekend, and noticed a couple of handlers using ‘wood’, ‘leather’ and ‘metal’ for each of the scent discrimination articles (most handlers use ‘search’, ‘seek’, ’find’ or just ‘fetch’ for all three.) I also know handlers who train ‘one’, ‘two’ and ‘three’ for the directed retrieve. I know an Open handler whose recall command is ‘Here’.

In reference to using the dog’s name with a command – it is easy to get into a habit of doing this, and the dog thinks it is part of the command. This can be a problem in the OB ring, where, except for the recall, the dog’s name can only be used once – at the start of the exercise. (Note it’s not compulsory to use the dog’s name at all.)

The agility ring is quite a bit freer – you can use whatever words (in English?) you like, as long as they are not reprimands. Dog’s name can also be used multiple times. (Note, you can’t use intimidatory tone of voice for commands in the OB ring either.)

Barb