Early Age Desexing

Leema

Early Aged Desexing  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you advocate early aged desexing?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
  2. 2. Do you desex puppies leaving your care before 6 months old?

• Yes, always.
    • Yes, mostly.
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • No, rarely.
    • No, never.
    • Not applicable / I do not rehome puppies.
  3. 3. Would you support legislation that required puppies less than 6 months old to be desexed before leaving care?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.

For the purposes of this poll, this is only referring to early aged desexing for puppies younger than 6 months old.

'Desexing' can mean any form of permanent sterilisation, for the purposes of this poll. If you use sterilisation other than gonadectomy, please specify in a post.

Any comments/opinions regarding this poll are welcome.

Your input is appreciated.

Apart from the obvious negatives, some positives I can see in early age desexing would be:

- Less people who have no idea about dog breeding would breed their pets for 'fun' or because 'all females should have at least one litter'.

- Early age desexing could be an alternative to BSL, in which case I would support it.

- Less dogs would end up in shelters

On the other hand, I would be pretty annoyed if I had to desex my dog early just because some people can't be trusted, but that's people...

I've always liked my pets to be about 6 months old before desexing. Guess it goes back to my early vets not desexing before physical maturity. ( going back more than 30 years )

6 months generally isn't physical maturity...

In terms of long bone growth, the sex hormones promote growth plate closure. Early desexing (any time before growth plate closure) delays closure of the growth plates. Hence the dog will be very slightly taller. The effect on structure and soundness is not clear. I have read the literature and the science is not conclusive either way - the only articles that say early desexing causes hip dysplasia are NOT peer reviewed. I think it's about weighing up risk factors for breeders and buyers. Personally my sports dogs are either entire or desexed once they have physically matured (approx 15-18 months) but I have no issue with breeders or rescue desexing early if they feel the need to protect their puppies from unscrupulous breeding. I certainly wouldn't support mandatory early desexing. I don't think it would mean less dogs in shelters. I spent a lot of time observing shelter dogs in my research and any puppies are re-homed fairly easily. Destructive 'teenage' dogs are probably more common than anything.

Kittens are routinely desexed at 10-12 weeks (approx 1 kg body weight) and I have no problem with this. Their recovery is amazingly quick. The 6 month mark by vets only reflects how they were trained. Many vets were not comfortable with doing surgery on such young/small animals but vet schools are now teaching them how to do this.

Guest donatella

I was under the belief that it is better to desex before the first season for a bitch, at least thats what the research told me and i just had my pup done and she hadn't come into season. Something to do with prevention of certain cancers, breast etc.

How do you mean that EAD could be an alternative to BSL?

I should have said 'part' of an alternative to BSL, for example in the Calgary model dogs have to be desexed unless owned by a registered breeder.

Calgary does not require dogs to be desexed, yearly registration is cheaper for desexed dogs but thats it.

I should have said 'part' of an alternative to BSL, for example in the Calgary model dogs have to be desexed unless owned by a registered breeder.

Calgary does not require dogs to be desexed, yearly registration is cheaper for desexed dogs but thats it.

My mistake then

Edit: I was going by an interview on the communityK9 website - http://communityk9.com.au/2011/10/and-the-winner-is-calgary/#more-65

It says:

Q: In your opinion, do you think Calgary’s model is workable for most American cities?

A: Absolutely. The system works on supporting responsible owners and having consequences for owners who do not manage their dog in the community. The whole responsible pet ownership (or guardianship if you prefer that term) is based on four simple things we ask of all humans who have companion animals:

1. Provide a license and permanent ID on your pet.

2. Spay and neuter (unless you are a qualified breeder).

3. Provide the proper training, socialization, medical care, diet, exercise and grooming to keep your companion happy and comfortable.

4. Don’t let your pet become a threat or a nuisance in the community.

By supporting and, when necessary, enforcing these principles, we are able to maintain a safe community for people and animals with no breed restrictions or arbitrary pet limits.

NCRC’s video interview with Bill:

So is that not accurate or have I somehow misread?

Edited by Kiara&Heidi

I was under the belief that it is better to desex before the first season for a bitch, at least thats what the research told me and i just had my pup done and she hadn't come into season. Something to do with prevention of certain cancers, breast etc.

For bitches, the risk of mammary cancer increases with every season, but the additional risk from one season is statistically non-significant.

My puppies are sold sterilised, either vasectomy for the boys or tubal ligation for the girls unless the new owner wants them neutered or spayed. Ie: are only going to get it done in 4 months time at the 6 month mark. My reasoning is that whilst people can be wonderful owners and love their pet and have all the right intentions when purhasing, it doesnt take much to change peoples minds about breeding their pet. The other reason being if for whatever reason they decide to rehoime their dog and do not tell me, atleast I know it hasnt been sold to some feral who wants to breed it to his great dane/ neo/ staffy mutt or his "purebred" bullmastiff and can then talk up his puppies because they come from international bloodlines etc. Not happening and whilst I know there are other things to worry about when selling puppies, this is a huge worry taken from my shoulders. The only time I wont sterilise is of course if puppy is going to a trusted show/breeding home.

My mistake then

Edit: I was going by an interview on the communityK9 website - http://communityk9.com.au/2011/10/and-the-winner-is-calgary/#more-65

It says:

Q: In your opinion, do you think Calgary’s model is workable for most American cities?

A: Absolutely. The system works on supporting responsible owners and having consequences for owners who do not manage their dog in the community. The whole responsible pet ownership (or guardianship if you prefer that term) is based on four simple things we ask of all humans who have companion animals:

3. Provide the proper training, socialization, medical care, diet, exercise and grooming to keep your companion happy and comfortable.

By supporting and, when necessary, enforcing these principles, we are able to maintain a safe community for people and animals with no breed restrictions or arbitrary pet limits.

Its accurate in that they encourage desexing, by making it cheaper $31 to register a desexed dog or $52 for an entire dog, but it not required anyone can have an entire animal if they are willing to pay the increased fee

To encourage it they also offer a No cost spay and neuter program for low income families

My mistake then

It says:

Its accurate in that they encourage desexing, by making it cheaper $31 to register a desexed dog or $52 for an entire dog, but it not required anyone can have an entire animal if they are willing to pay the increased fee

To encourage it they also offer a No cost spay and neuter program for low income families

Oh ok thanks for clarifying :)

I rescue, so anything leaving here is desexed. So far the youngest pup I've had to desex was 4 months old. Ideally I think dogs should be allowed mature, however I won't rehome an entire pup. My own dogs are done at about 12mths usually.