Emu Meat

can't get that image out of my head now poodlefan

;) :D :( :D

Emu and roo meat is on the rich side, but is packed with protein and has very little fat. It can also contain worms, so make sure they are up to date on worming treatments.

Have you tried it yourself? It has quite a gamey flavour, and roo tastes like steak and kidney pie to me!!!

Sugar:

It so sad that we eat our own Aussie kangaroo and emu 

Why? Most emu meat is farmed. To me that's no different to eating beef (and I don't). Roo's are hardly endangered. If the animal is farmed and/or slaughtered humanely, I don't see why an indigenous species can't be eaten.

Edited by poodlefan

Roo and wallaby offal/poo can carry hydatids.... as does sheep poo/offal.

If you worm your dog, you can feed it. To be on the safe side, feed roo processed through an approved facility. Human grade roo is even safer but expensive.

It so sad that we eat our own Aussie kangaroo and emu :D

What makes it different to the killing of any other animal for sustinence. The only difference is that roo's and emu's have better press agents.

Why accept the killing of cows, calves, deer, pigs, sheep and cute little lambs; but not roos and emu's. Farmed emu is much more humanely treated than culled roo.

Hi Sandy. I had Emu meat given to me some years ago to feed the dogs, and they loved it. it is simular to feeding roo, very rich and low in fat, but also a VERY oily meat. oily meat=loads of poo!!!.. I found feeding it mixed with another meat to be great, just not on its own. Dogs love it. yummy VERY LARGE chicken!!

Julia

Thanks for all the replies, as it is rich I will feed it mixed with their usual meal.

I did think that maybe I could just throw a drumstick and let the lot of them just get in there and go for it, a bit like the lions do in the wild but I am afraid it will be a bit more like the vultures :D Wouldn't see a cocker for days I imagine.