Puppy Farm Legislation Victoria

Bug

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did Julie Gillards dog come from?

has she got that dog now? haven't heard anything further about it all. faded out once the media lost interest i think.

l heard she got it from a puppyfarm in Morwell?

Who know's it could have been any a few within that area

I know this sounds terrible but if it does lead to more dogs being killed in pounds - and I dont think it will - for me - that isnt the biggest issue.

I get that there are people and groups who have targeted this as their focus over other things and though I think that on the whole the assumed reasons which they have decided causes this are too narrow

my focus is on ensuring that living dogs dont suffer.Not just at the hands of people who treat them poorly but also at the hands of people who breed them without concern for how their choices will impact on the quality of life for the dog for its whole life.

What we have here is a situation where once people could simply decide to have a litter of pups with their own dog in their own yard, ,house them and treat them with kindness as part of the family which suited them and the dogs is now removed.

We have moved to a situation where less people breed more dogs.Where the choices owners who wanted to do what is best for their breeding dogs have had those choices removed from them.

The mandatory codes are set so if you own a breeding dog you can no longer decide what is best based on education and experience but rather based on crazy ideas of just in case. And worse the just in case is also based on ignorance.

We bring a world reknowned canine immunologist to Australia to give us lectures, produce DVD's of this and encourage breeders to educate themselves to enable them to make the best decisions in their breeding programs and for the longevity and health of their dogs.

Forget all that - you can know the facts and the science and what really is best for your dogs but at law you have no choices but to comply. We have laws for breeding dogs and their management which mean they are more not less likely to suffer.

So while you see more dogs will be euthanised - time will tell - clearly they pushed for this to try to stop that but for me more dogs will suffer while they are alive.

No management plan will ever work while ever the demand is not acknowledged because while ever that is there someone will supply that.

When you push small hobby breeders,treat them as pond scum and take away their choices in how they can live with and manage their breeding dogs they will walk away and for every litter they dont breed thats one more large scale breeders will breed .

For every puppy you make too hard to sell from someone's back yard thats one more which will be sold in a pet shop. For every registered purebred breeder who walks away thats one more breeding dogs with no known heritage which creates greater risk of poor quality of life for the puppies and the parents living in cells with a pat on the head every day seen as cash cows.

Personally I think your euthanasia rate will not be impacted by any of this because you still have the same number of irresponsible owners or the number of unpredictible dogs which cant be chosen to suit someone's lifestyle as always because nothing what ever has been done to address this.

By the way I know animal rights like to rub their hands together and say this is because smaller breeders feel threatened- after all whats the problem if they are doing the right thing ?

Fact is the right thing has become the wrong thing for the dogs and small breeders dont want to have to manage their dogs the way someone with a couple of hundred do. For example They dont care if they have to stick a vaccination in them every year but breeders who care about their dogs do.

has she got that dog now? haven't heard anything further about it all. faded out once the media lost interest i think.

she got it given to her from billabong creek, they had a thread about it and it was in the papers. :(

Edited by toy*dog

By the way I know animal rights like to rub their hands together and say this is because smaller breeders feel threatened- after all whats the problem if they are doing the right thing ?

they aint the only ones saying that we feel threatened, normal everyday people in the public are saying it too, then i give them a big lecture on what actually is a hobby breeder then they retract their statement quick smart. they have no idea what-so-ever about us.

Fact is the right thing has become the wrong thing for the dogs and small breeders dont want to have to manage their dogs the way someone with a couple of hundred do. For example They dont care if they have to stick a vaccination in them every year but breeders who care about their dogs do.

got some friends who had to apply for a permit to keep just 6 dogs and they had to build a large outside kennel and comply with all the measurements away from the fence, drainage yadda yadda yadda, that outside kennels is now not being used, the dogs are in the house in their own bedrooms. lol but in order to get the permit thats what they had to do, lucky for my friend her hubby is a handyman and built the kennels for her.

we got a permit 25 yrs ago when none of this crap was going on nowadays,the council did the checking with the neighbors and most said that they didn't even know we had dogs they never heard them and yes they have no problem with us getting a permit so it was granted. we didn't have to comply to all that breeders have to comply to nowadays. but it could change once the govts of the day put more and more restrictions on what people can do on their own properties though. i don't think we can assume we are safe really reading what is happening about the place.

:mad

she got it given to her from billabong creek, they had a thread about it and it was in the papers. :(

The bigest problem lm haveing is trying to explain to breeders whats going to happen

A few of them DONT belive or just plainly DONT want to listen

lm trying to get as many breeders together [mainly victorian ones] for now to get ideas and try to educate the public as to what a ANKC breeder is.lm not a good speller or writer and find it very difficult to do.

l feel frustrated as l want to keep my dogs in the future and enjoy them as l do today.

lm sure there's many breeders that want to do the same.

Together it WILL help...Relying on VICDOGS wont work..We need a VOICE and we need it now.

EDITED to say thank God there's people like Steve and Toydog that can see the dimm light at the end of this horrid tunnel

Edited by mortonplace

Well said Steve. I have read many of your posts and I think you have a practical and honest view of this whole subject of 'puppy farms' and the proposed legislation. I think the biggest worry is Animal Liberation. They are using extreme cases of breeders or 'puppy farmers' to capture the attention of the public. Problem is most of these 'puppy farms' (I am opposed to the commercial breeding of dogs) don't keep their dogs in the kinds of conditions the animal rights people keep showing the public so the public can't distinguish a 'puppy farm' from an 'ethical' breeder. By forcing government to enforce tougher and tougher laws and conditions for ALL breeders it's the smaller breeders that won't be able to continue doing what they love. I think Animal Liberation intend to stop the breeding of dogs entirely. Debra from Oscars Law has just posted a comment in regards to an article accusing MDBA as being a "puppy factory organisation". It's absurd!! but the media love talking to her because of her sensational stories. I have been involved with dogs all my life. The last thing I want is Animal Activists dictating how breeders should care for their dogs. The activists don't care what kind of breeder you are they just don't want pet ownership, they hate dog shows and they don't believe dogs should be bred at all. Yes, breeders need to be monitored but not by Animal Rights people. I think breeders who support these groups need to take a step back and think twice before supporting these groups.

Edited by liverchips

In the 1990s it was a stated aim of PETA and animal liberation organisations to end ownership of animals.

Using the media and politicians, and using highly emotive and sensationalised material, they are well on their way to achieving those aims in Australia. However, it is not so much the case in other countries.

If people are not already finding it difficult to buy a purebred pup, particularly in Victoria and Queensland, then they soon will be.

Registered breeders have walked away in droves in the past few years and they continue to do so.

Anyone looking for a well bred healthy dog in 10 years time will have very little choice, if any.

The badly bred backyard mutts will be around and the animal libbers will have achieved their goals.

Souff

Well said Steve. I have read many of your posts and I think you have a practical and honest view of this whole subject of 'puppy farms' and the proposed legislation. I think the biggest worry is Animal Liberation. They are using extreme cases of breeders or 'puppy farmers' to capture the attention of the public. Problem is most of these 'puppy farms' (I am opposed to the commercial breeding of dogs) don't keep their dogs in the kinds of conditions the animal rights people keep showing the public so the public can't distinguish a 'puppy farm' from an 'ethical' breeder. By forcing government to enforce tougher and tougher laws and conditions for ALL breeders it's the smaller breeders that won't be able to continue doing what they love. I think Animal Liberation intend to stop the breeding of dogs entirely. Debra from Oscars Law has just posted a comment in regards to an article accusing MDBA as being a "puppy factory organisation". It's absurd!! but the media love talking to her because of her sensational stories. I have been involved with dogs all my life. The last thing I want is Animal Activists dictating how breeders should care for their dogs. The activists don't care what kind of breeder you are they just don't want pet ownership, they hate dog shows and they don't believe dogs should be bred at all. Yes, breeders need to be monitored but not by Animal Rights people. I think breeders who support these groups need to take a step back and think twice before supporting these groups.

Animal liberation have never been backward in telling us what their goals are and there is no surprise that they are anti breeder - people who join them know up front what their agenda is and they are known politically for their actons, goals and tactics. Even though I dont agree with their philosophies or tactics I can easily see what they are and not be led in under a false pretence.Its clear not all supposed anti puppy farm groups have the same ethics and many people who join them and follow are deceived.Part of that is not their fault but lies with a continued issue in everyone being on the same page as far as a definition of a puppy farmer is concerned.

If ever I had any doubt that lies and bullying were used to go after someone all doubt is now removed and I would never ever take a scrap of notce of anything that is said via that source. It Seems to me that its good for business anyway - we can always use the publicity :rofl: and our membership grows every single day - it certainly hasnt done Banksia Park any harm either - even the PM took no notice. :rofl:

Thank you for seeing the accusation as absurd - of course it is - but they are not the first to accuse us of a multitude of things nor will they be the last. The MDBA has been around now for about 7 years and our policies and goals have not changed.Since day one everything we have done is because we believe it is what is best for the dogs - all dogs and the people who love them - we never expected everyone would agree with us.It didnt matter then and it doesnt matter now. We're not here to win popularity with anyone or to tow the traditional line and certainly not to get animal rights tick of approval on anything we do because we believe its only about what is best for the dogs and the people who love them. Its not about money including donations gathered for some great cause or politics or glory with the media. Based on that we are accustomed to being beaten up and have no need to care if someone needs to tell lies and try to bully us.

at least they mentioned your name so now people can look up MDBA and make up their own minds about what you guys stand for. i mean, its obvious if ppl visit the website. maybe she is getting mixed up with AAPDB lol apparently from what i heard there are alot of puppy farms/commercial farms signed up on their books to legitimise themselves. does she also believe that ANKC is also a puppy farm organisation? just goes to show what i and alot of others have been saying all along, they are against all dogs no matter if cross or pure being bred full stop.

Edited by toy*dog

It would be interesting to know how many registered breeders support the Oscars Law group. They seem to be very vague in terms of what they believe is a 'puppy farm' or 'puppy factory'. I think the term is just a negative label being used to confuse the public or to conjure up images of mistreatment in the minds of people but it doesn't really mean anything so she can label any breeder she chooses. We have good breeders who care about their animals and we have breeders who don't. Why can't it be kept that simple? We have people who own a single dog and do a horrible job of that...what do we label these people? I really hope breeders don't get behind Oscars Law as this will only give them credibility. Tranter has taken a swipe at Dogs NSW, MDBA and other organisations as well as breeders who don't seem to be doing the wrong thing (even if we don't like what they a breeding or the number of dogs they breed). She is defaming people and bullying them and encouraging others to do the same. What's worse is she inspires others by misleading them with false information.