Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

While I dont dislike snakes entirely, I dont need any feel good stuff from people who are snake lovers so please if you dont have anything positive to contribute in this thread take your feel good snake talk and go find someone elses thread to post in

Is this aimed at me?

Ill make this my last post in this thread and then its yours.

Sorry for hijacking this thread of yours but i find it hard to find anything positive about the illegal misuse of bird netting to

trap and kill native animals in

a misguided and naive attempt to remove the danger of snakebite.

Ill shut up now then.

Edited by snake catcher

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I dont dislike snakes entirely, I dont need any feel good stuff from people who are snake lovers so please if you dont have anything positive to contribute in this thread take your feel good snake talk and go find someone elses thread to post in

Is this aimed at me?

Ill make this my last post in this thread and then its yours. Sorry for hijacking this thread of yours but i find it hard to find anything positive about the illegal misuse of bird netting to trap and kill native animals in a misguided and naive attempt to remove the danger of snakebite.

Ill shut up now then.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I find it extremely hard to find anything positive about having to rush my dogs to a vet to administer antivenom and to wonder whether they will make it or not just because someone tried to tell me that snakes shouldnt be trapped. I dont think it is appropriate for you to tell me what I should or shouldnt do in regards to my dogs and their safety. JMO though of course.

I have never had one of my dogs get bitten(and hopefully I never will) but I have heard many heartbreaking stories.

My dogs are too precious to become a statistic to a snake.

I dont think it is appropriate for you to tell me what I should or shouldnt do in regards to my dogs and their safety.

Well you did ask for suggestions. Shade-mesh was suggested as a safer, effective alternative; and the illegality, cruelty and posed danger (to your dogs) of bird netting was highlighted.

I dont think it is appropriate for you to tell me what I should or shouldnt do in regards to my dogs and their safety.

Well you did ask for suggestions. Shade-mesh was suggested as a safer, effective alternative; and the illegality, cruelty and posed danger (to your dogs) of bird netting was highlighted.

:clap: :clap:

Snakecatcher, thank you for your info. The poor snakes get a rough deal and its good to know someone is on their side! :)

+1

Snakecatcher, thank you for your info. The poor snakes get a rough deal and its good to know someone is on their side! :)

Oh I dont disagree. But if they stay away from my yard they will all be fine.

For all those people who have offered their opinion I wonder how you would all feel if your dog got bitten and the anguish you would go through not knowing whether your dog is going to pull through.

Maybe you havent thought about it hard enough.

What about the poor dogs that get a bad deal. Sitting in their pens, minding their own business, when an aggressive brown snake crawls in. The minute the dogs move to even have a look a brown snake will strike. Brown snakes are very aggressive and will strike at anything close that moves.

People have a right to have their dogs safe.

People can feel sorry for snakes when dogs are invading their territory (unhabited land) but not when the snakes are invading the dog's territory

Edited by Shepherd Lover

Rough deal indeed. Not anywhere near the rough deal my poor dog got when she got in the road of one. How sad she didn't live long enough to apologise for being in her own yard. She only had 2 years on this earth. The only thing I can offer any snake that comes within a mile of this yard is a swift death. At least they won't suffer like my poor dog did. Rough deal indeedcrying.gif

Best I not come back into this thread. Too many tears and very sad memories and far too many angry thoughts about snakescrying.gif

I asked for some ideas in netting for snakes. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, as I am too. SO in this case, thanks everyone who has helped me with suggestions.

As I have said before my dogs lives, my next door neighbours kids and their dogs life is more important than a snakes. While I dont dislike snakes entirely, I dont need any feel good stuff from people who are snake lovers so please if you dont have anything positive to contribute in this thread take your feel good snake talk and go find someone elses thread to post in. And lets stop the abuse between dolers shall we? It is totally uncalled for.

Our yard is immaculate, we dont have clutter but the yard is huge,the neighbours while a little busy with shrubs and plants is also very well looked after.The house across the road is very busy though and we have a huge creek area 100 metres away from where we are.

Is there any way you can fence off an area with bird wire...not netting? We had an an incident with a Brown Snake and our Kelpie, that still gives me nightmares, at our old house (in Sydney suburbia and on a busy road). When we moved to a new house, backing onto a bush reserve, we had timber railing fencing installed along the back and we attached aviary or bird wire to the timber, and also sunk it below ground level. So far (fingers crossed) in two years, we have not had a snake in the yard, although other houses in the street have. Neighbours, who have two GR's found a Red Bellied Black in their frontyard last summer...fortunately not in the backyard or near the dogs. There is a creek running through the reserve and Red Bellies are common here. They are not as aggressive as Browns thank heavens.

I asked for some ideas in netting for snakes. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, as I am too. SO in this case, thanks everyone who has helped me with suggestions.

As I have said before my dogs lives, my next door neighbours kids and their dogs life is more important than a snakes. While I dont dislike snakes entirely, I dont need any feel good stuff from people who are snake lovers so please if you dont have anything positive to contribute in this thread take your feel good snake talk and go find someone elses thread to post in. And lets stop the abuse between dolers shall we? It is totally uncalled for.

Our yard is immaculate, we dont have clutter but the yard is huge,the neighbours while a little busy with shrubs and plants is also very well looked after.The house across the road is very busy though and we have a huge creek area 100 metres away from where we are.

Is there any way you can fence off an area with bird wire...not netting? We had an an incident with a Brown Snake and our Kelpie, that still gives me nightmares, at our old house (in Sydney suburbia and on a busy road). When we moved to a new house, backing onto a bush reserve, we had timber railing fencing installed along the back and we attached aviary or bird wire to the timber, and also sunk it below ground level. So far (fingers crossed) in two years, we have not had a snake in the yard, although other houses in the street have. Neighbours, who have two GR's found a Red Bellied Black in their frontyard last summer...fortunately not in the backyard or near the dogs. There is a creek running through the reserve and Red Bellies are common here. They are not as aggressive as Browns thank heavens.

We tried bird wire around the dog area and it doesn't keep snakes out. I imagine all bird wire does is keep out the very large snakes, not the small ones.

Edited by Shepherd Lover

I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your dogs, but when someone gives you a easy, humane option and you choose the cruel option, I think that is rough. If a snake was about to bite my dog, I might kill it. But I would have tried everything possible first to prevent them from coming near my dogs in a HUMANE way.

So who is going to tell the snakes what is their area?

I think the idea is to create a safe inpenetrable barrier around the dogs yard that the snake can neigher go through or over.

Shade cloth securely attached to fencing would be both safe and also afford some extra shaded areas for the dogs on hot sunny days.

If your intention was to catch the snake and "dispose" of it with the bird netting, it would only clear the territory for other snakes to come into and sadly you would not be 'rid' of your problem.

You would be surprised at how many times you have walked past a snake suning itself quietly and not noticed it as it is keeping very still and quiet until you pass, as to it, you (we) are a dangerous creature to be feared and avoided.

I am surprised that people are talking about breaking the law on a public forum when there are more humane ways to deal with the issue.

Dogs can also be snake proofed using an e-collar. If I was in an area that had snakes I would snake proof my dogs and not leave them penned where they had no way of escape.

But I suppose each to their own managing the issue, hopefully using legal means.

Yes, legal and effective means that don't endanger the dog. Snake catcher has already explained how bird netting further endangers the dog. If you don't care if it's cruel, at least have the good sense to protect your dogs. Killing snakes does not protect your dog, thinking that it does is magical thinking.

I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your dogs, but when someone gives you a easy, humane option and you choose the cruel option, I think that is rough. If a snake was about to bite my dog, I might kill it. But I would have tried everything possible first to prevent them from coming near my dogs in a HUMANE way.

What exactly are you going to do with the snake when it's about to bite your dog, leave it to it???? Poor dog, sorry you have to suffer cause your owner won't protect you.