Vet Fears On "harmless"family Pets Being Put Down

tybrax

http://www.wyndhamweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/vet-fears-on-harmless-family-pets-being-put-down/2336099.aspx

Wyndham Weekly News Skip directly to: Search Box, Section Navigation, Content.

News Local News News General Vet fears on 'harmless' family pets being put down

BY LAURA LITTLE

26 Oct, 2011 01:00 AM

A POINT Cook vet is calling on the state government to amend its restricted breed legislation, believing many harmless family pets are being put down because of the new laws.

Karen Davies was among hundreds of dog owners who took to the streets of Melbourne on Sunday to protest against the legislation, which was introduced last month following the fatal mauling in August of StAlbans four-year-old Ayen Chol by a neighbour's dog.

The new laws apply to all restricted-breed dogs and requires them to be registered with local councils.

The dogs must also be desexed, microchipped and kept in a secure, escape-proof enclosure with warning signs. When outside the owner's premises, dogs must be muzzled and leashed and under the supervision of someone aged 17 or older. Failure to comply can result in significant fines and seizure of the dog.

Ms Davies decided to take part in the rally after she had to put down a pit bull which had been abandoned.

She said the dog had been well-trained and was well-behaved but appeared to have been dumped by owners who were either unable to comply with the new legislation or unsure of their rights.

"I've got clients who are not sure of their rights and responsibilities under the new legislation. The laws are causing anxiety within the community," she said.

"Some owners are concerned because they are not in a position to comply with the new legislation. Some are renters and can't make modifications to the property to comply."

Ms Davies has called on the government to amend the legislation and assess individual dogs rather than labelling entire breeds as dangerous. She said pit bulls were often a mixture of different breeds, so no two pit bulls displayed the same characteristics.

She was also concerned the legislation isolated breeds deemed 'dangerous' from the community, preventing them from taking part in training and other activities which would teach them how to behave.

"We have a large number of these dogs in our clinic and we don't have a problem with them because they are well trained and exercised.

"I believe there should be laws for dangerous dogs but I don't believe [the legislation] is the right way to treat a good dog."

The RSPCA has previously expressed concern about the

impact of the legislation on restricted-breed dogs.

There are 22 registered restricted breeds dogs in Wyndham.

Edited by tybrax

common sense here, but Baillieu won't take any notice, he's too busy onto the microchips and hounding breeders, in his mind, he has solved the dangerous dog thing, and now he he is onto the next thing, bandaiding everywhere he goes

• 2 weeks later...

Even the media don't properly understand the new Victorian Laws. They don't apply to "Restricted Breeds". They apply to a dog who fits a physical description laid down in writing by Peter Walsh, Liberal Party.

common sense here, but Baillieu won't take any notice, he's too busy onto the microchips and hounding breeders, in his mind, he has solved the dangerous dog thing, and now he he is onto the next thing, bandaiding everywhere he goes

Peter Walsh knows he hasn't done any such thing. But he knows he's taken the path of least resisitance that will have the public thinking that he's done a grand thing and scored some votes from them. He makes out that he is caring for children/humans against irresponsible dog-owners, but he hasn't so much as touched on the problem.

He doesn't want to listen to those who can and who are trying to present to him a model that is proven to work. Too hard basket, it seems.

I thought better of Peter Walsh. I know he could do and be better, if he tried and if he wanted to.

And Peter Walsh - should you be reading this, I mean this with due respect for your appointed political position.

Edited by Erny