Help Me Put Someone Off Buying From A Pet Store

becandcharch

Hello!!

I havent posted in here for ages but thought this was my best bet!

A guy I work with has just told me that he's put a deposit on a blue staffy and is picking him up on Friday. He put down $50 and is paying $2K.

I asked where he was getting it from and he told me this place. I obviously screwed up my face as he asked what the problem was.

I said its likely that they get their dogs from puppy farms and then went on to explain what they were.

He said ok, if you can prove to me that they do I wont get it. Obviously impossible for me to give him actual proof but I think I can put him off enough.

I called the store and asked where their dogs are from. I spoke to a young girl who said friends of the owners are 'breeders' and they get their staffy pups from them. I suspect they have the same answer no matter which breed you ask about. There are heaps on their website. I asked if there was a way to see the parents and she sort of mumbled about not really knowing...

Has anyone had any dealings with these people or can share any bad reports with me? Anything else I can use to persuade him would be great. Im about to email http://www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/

He has also asked me to let him know where he should get one from if not here. He's set on getting a blue. Honestly Im not sure I should recommend where we got ours from. It was a long time ago and I didnt know anything about breeders/farms etc. They arent a farm but they do have a lot of pups available so I'm reluctant. I have also seen others that arent great quality.

I know a lot of people here arent fans of blue breeders but if there is somewhere I can direct him other than this pet shop I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys :)

He absolutely MUST get one with pedigree papers since the new laws have been passed in Melbourne. He MUST be able prove it's not a Staffy X by certificate of parentage.

Hip scores, elbow scores, patella checks of the parents and genetic testing for L2-hga.

Health issues here: http://www.sbtcv.org.au/healthissues.html

Excellent points! Thankyou :D

A few points to mention.

No reputable breeder would ever sell their puppies through a pet shop. They need to meet the new owner, ask lots of questions and make sure the puppy is going to the right home. They are also available to provide help and advice for the life of the dog.

He should meet at least the mother of the litter and see where the puppy was raised.

With the current laws in Vic, the dog will not be safe unless it has ANKC registration with a matching microchip.

Finally, blues are a dime a dozen and I'm sure he would find any number in the DOL listings from breeders who can provide all of the above for less than $2000. They may not be the best show breeders but many can still provide good pets from health tested parents with good temperaments.

If you really want to help, try ringing some of the blue breeders yourself and see if you can weed out one who sounds ok, then pass the details on to him.

oh god have gone nuts on their pricing.

They buy from whoever and dont care about pedigree papers. I've been in there before and saw a woman walk up with a few runty, wormy pups that they bought on the spot. $2000 for a petstore pup? He can rescue 10 blue staffies for that price.

I did mention that no registered/reputable breeders sell to pet shops. They want to see what homes their puppies are going to. I also mentioned the new laws. Good point about help for the life of the dog.

A few points to mention.

No reputable breeder would ever sell their puppies through a pet shop. They need to meet the new owner, ask lots of questions and make sure the puppy is going to the right home. They are also available to provide help and advice for the life of the dog.

He should meet at least the mother of the litter and see where the puppy was raised.

With the current laws in Vic, the dog will not be safe unless it has ANKC registration with a matching microchip.

Finally, blues are a dime a dozen and I'm sure he would find any number in the DOL listings from breeders who can provide all of the above for less than $2000. They may not be the best show breeders but many can still provide good pets from health tested parents with good temperaments.

If you really want to help, try ringing some of the blue breeders yourself and see if you can weed out one who sounds ok, then pass the details on to him.

I did mention that no registered/reputable breeders sell to pet shops. They want to see what homes their puppies are going to. I also mentioned the new laws. Good point about help for the life of the dog.

A few points to mention.

Just having a quick look through the 86 litters on here, there is one show breeder with 30 years experience that has a couple of blues in a litter of mixed colours. They could be a better bet than the multitude of "all blue" breeders on there. There could be more but I only looked through the first 10-15 ads.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It paid off :)

I recieved an email this morning thanking me for the info. He had no idea about puppy farms and has called this morning and told them he wont be picking up his puppy. He said he's lost his deposit (only $50)and said he will consider it a contribution to the cause. He is going to let me help him find a pup through a reg breeder.

Oh and he said he was originally looking at getting a Cocker Spaniel but he heard they were really sooky. Errrr... and you're thinking of getting a staffy?! :laugh: Best I fill him in on that too..

:D

Thanks for the advice everyone. It paid off :)

I recieved an email this morning thanking me for the info. He had no idea about puppy farms and has called this morning and told them he wont be picking up his puppy. He said he's lost his deposit (only $50)and said he will consider it a contribution to the cause. He is going to let me help him find a pup through a reg breeder.

Oh and he said he was originally looking at getting a Cocker Spaniel but he heard they were really sooky. Errrr... and you're thinking of getting a staffy?! :laugh: Best I fill him in on that too..

:D

Glad to hear he is not getting a pet shop pup. And at least he is not getting a staffy to look tough if he was thinking of a cocker spaniel. Lol