Newfy Puppy With Dandruff

MacG

Hello! I have been searching on here for some help with a puppy who has dandruff.

Our 7 month old Black Newfoundland has developed allot of dandruff towards his rear end. I brush him every 2-3 days and he hasn't been bathed in 4 weeks.

He has been to the beach though- and we rinsed him when he got home too.

I bought soap free black dog shampoo - which is what he is bathed in.

He always gets blow dried too.

The actual dandruff is very fine- and feels almost waxy. When I use the slicker brush it gets the most out. His skin is not red, it actually looks a nice blue/white colour.

We only feed him Proplan, with the exception of training treats- where he gets tiny nibbles of anything from cheese to sausage to schmacko type treats.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am apprehensive to bath him at the moment for fear of aggravating it more.

Below is a picture of what I mean

dandruffphoto.jpg

Edited by MacG

Hello! I have been searching on here for some help with a puppy who has dandruff.

Our 7 month old Black Newfoundland has developed allot of dandruff towards his rear end. I brush him every 2-3 days and he hasn't been bathed in 4 weeks.

He has been to the beach though- and we rinsed him when he got home too.

I bought soap free black dog shampoo - which is what he is bathed in.

He always gets blow dried too.

The actual dandruff is very fine- and feels almost waxy. When I use the slicker brush it gets the most out. His skin is not red, it actually looks a nice blue/white colour.

We only feed him Proplan, with the exception of training treats- where he gets tiny nibbles of anything from cheese to sausage to schmacko type treats.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am apprehensive to bath him at the moment for fear of aggravating it more.

Below is a picture of what I mean

dandruffphoto.jpg

Thank you for your replies!

He is not scratching, so will definitely give the shampoo a shot.

There was allot less yesterday when I brushed him- so fingers crossed it isn't getting worse.

Will definitely show the Vet too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies!

He is not scratching, so will definitely give the shampoo a shot.

There was allot less yesterday when I brushed him- so fingers crossed it isn't getting worse.

Will definitely show the Vet too :)

Hi MacG, as the puppy coat is really thick, often even when you have rinsed and rinsed , shampoo or conditioner may not be completely rinsed from the coat, especially the rump area (when they sit down, this is where all the water goes )

I would suggest using aloveen or similar mild shampoo and hydro bath him so you get a really deep to the skin clean, rinse and rinse some more and then blow dry him til he is totally dry, this way there is no moisture left in the coat to cause dandruf and hot spots. Good luck