Gussy Is Here

I don't have any pics yet but he is an absolute clown...

He plays ball by himself - he throws it and bounces it.. When he has had enough of playing by himself, he brings it to you to bounce for him again. I want to get this on video and upload to you tube when I have a few minutes - he had us in stitches this afternoon with it.

He is quite at home, loves my son and his mates that have come to meet him.

He needs some basic training. I don't think he has been treated very nicely in the past. Cory went to kick the ball for him and he laid down when Cory's foot came up. He is also quite afraid of the leash (lays down when he sees it or tries to run away) - but we are working on that already and I have had it on and off him a few times this afternoon.

He is very food orientated and has worked out that the fridge holds the best stuff - because everytime someone goes anywhere near it, he is right there next to them (with 1 paw up and the most adorable look).

I don't think he was an inside dog in his previous life. He came in when we first bought him home and checked everything out.

But when I went to give him a little dinner, he would not come past the laundry door. So I moved his food into the laundry and he was fine.

We introduced him to the staffy pup my son is collecting on Monday and the pup was really in his face so he put him straight, then basically ignored him..

I am hoping that they get along, as the staffy is a keeper for my son - I am sure it will be fine...

I will get some pics over the next few days and post them up...

He is a gem and I think it will be really easy to rehome him.

Edited by Staffyluv

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do y ou need some housetraining tips? I have a good method if you need it - kindness and reward!

It turns out he is house trained - he just likes company... He had a sook at me a while ago and when I said OK, he jumped up and ran out the back to go to the toilet...

I just removed a huge tick off him. I have it here in a zip lock bag and will take him and it to the vet in the morning as he seems to be OK - he is rolling around on the spare bed behind me as I type...

It was a grey/brown sort of colour with red legs - I got it all when I removed it as the horrid thing walked on the paper when I put it down to check the bite mark where it was attached to the poor little guy...

He is actually very clever but seems to be happy to let us fumble through different commands to get him to do things..

I put his lead on him again to get the tick and he is really afraid of it, poor baby - something we will have to work on.

Cory and I are going to join the local dog training club together when I get back from up north (family reunion from 3-8 November)... Cory will take his new staffy pup (pound puppy) and I will take Gussy along.

A gobbet of your saliva on the tick can coax it to unattach itself - don't try to just pluck them off, as you could break off the head and then that can be a bugger to try to dig out - not to mention is unpleasant for the poor dog.

Might be time to invest in some Advantix or the like to reduce the chances of finding more of the little buggers...

T.

A gobbet of your saliva on the tick can coax it to unattach itself - don't try to just pluck them off, as you could break off the head and then that can be a bugger to try to dig out - not to mention is unpleasant for the poor dog.

Might be time to invest in some Advantix or the like to reduce the chances of finding more of the little buggers...

T.

I did use the tweezers and removed it last night - all if it and there was another, much smaller tick on the big tick. I got all of it as it was moving around on the paper when I put it on white paper to try to get a picture of it.

I am going to take it up to the vets this morning to find out what it is (they are)..

I have removed plenty of ticks over the years but have not done so for a long time, so was nervous about it.

I was raised on the north coast of NSW and lived there until I was in my early 20s - walking around in the bush up there, we always had ticks on us (makes my skin crawl now but never gave it a second though back then).

Just an update on the exuberant Gussy - he is fine this morning. You can see he needs to go for a walk but we will just have to play plenty of games to wear him out (wishful thinking).

I think this guy would be awesome at fly ball when he has completed basic training.. he is an absolute pocket rocket.

We were laughing at him last night running up and down the hallway after his new toy - his feet don't even touch the floor half the time (he literally flies).

I will keep this thread updated as we continue our journey. He is pretty special - I honestly did not think it was possible to smile again this soon after Ollie dog.

I just wanted to say you are amazing. after such a sad loss to take on another dog to foster a dog in need is amazing. He is so lucky to have found you and i hope he finds his forever home soon. I am glad he has brought some smiles to your family. and i cant wait to see pics of him and your new puppy. oh and my rescue dog wants company when going to the bathroom at night too lol

We don't get the paralysis ticks here it is probably a bush tick which aren't the same.

Maree

CPR

Thanks for that Maree, when I took the tick to the vet this morning they said it was not a paralysis tick but they have had about 4 in lately that were.

They actually showed me one that was recently removed and still very engorged - hideous things... I think they come up from the coast somehow as they are not usually found in this area.

I have checked him over again this morning and can't find anything else on him, thankfully

I just wanted to say you are amazing. after such a sad loss to take on another dog to foster a dog in need is amazing. He is so lucky to have found you and i hope he finds his forever home soon. I am glad he has brought some smiles to your family. and i cant wait to see pics of him and your new puppy. oh and my rescue dog wants company when going to the bathroom at night too lol

Will post up some pics on Monday night - I am trying to get him on video playing with his ball. He plays by himself, throwing it around and chasing it - tis very funny to watch...

He has gone to the toilet himself today, so I think he is settling in more now.

It was really hard to get a lead on him yesterday but he just sat there this morning while I put his collar on and then attached his lead - so we are making progress.. He is one clever guy.

• 2 months later...

A few updated pics of the little lad with our Ziggy (staffy cross pound pup)...

Gussy is off to meet a (maybe) forever home owner on the weekend... Fingers crossed for the little guy - he has had quite a bit of interest over the Christmas break.

post-1950-0-95280200-1326161965_thumb.jpg

post-1950-0-40245500-1326161980_thumb.jpg