Dogs And Mushrooms

Max#1

Hi all.

Our puppy decided to have a munch on some mushrooms this morning that had sprouted up in the lawn overnight. They were small, white stems (no rings or anything else), white gills underneath and sort of brownish on top. I took her straight to the vet who induced vomiting, and now we're just watching to see how she is. This was all eight hours ago and she seems fine.

Does anyone know anything about toxic mushroom species in victoria?

Mum always told me to stay away from those that are white underneath. That the brown underneath are okay.

Although what is toxic to people may not be to another species and visa versa.

Also all the good eating mushrooms are usually around in the late Autumn here in VIctoria.

You could contact the Royal Botanic Gardens identification service here: My link If the toxicity of the species is unknown they can't tell you for sure, but if it's something common they should be able to. Unfortunately there are some poisonous native fungi that look very similar to edible species from overseas, so it's best to assume they're not good for you or your dog.

Thanks for the links! I stopped looking at 'Dr Google' because the internet is truly not your friend when you google 'poisonous mushrooms'!

The feature of white underneath (the gills) is a bit of a worry.

Yes I do have a good vet, but she's not an expert at funghi species identification (which I don't hold against her). She did treat for worse case scenario, but liver toxicity symptoms can take time to appear. The hard part is not knowing how much to worry!

Does this look like the fungi? It's one commonly found growing in lawn, mulch, etc in my area. Seems to be some debate as to its toxicity as it contains only a small amount of psylocybin, but a follow up liver function test wouldn't go astray.

http://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:apni.taxon:268046;jsessionid=2CA80FB4D1412D8C6706495FB49D1D56

Thanks for the suggestion Fastgals. It could very well be - if they go from very light colouring and darken as they get older. After going through some of the links above it does look like mushrooms can change as they mature.