'braised Koala' In China Restaurant

samoyedman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sheepcruelty.wordpress.com/

It is only my opinion that the saxon merino industry is cruel. I worked as a wool classer in the early nineties and I have sheep, I take much delight in watching them and their individual quirks and strong family connections(they are a very established flock, family lines go back over thirty years with only new rams brought into the flock)

I have been into a saxon merino shed in Victoria and was appalled by what I saw.

Thanks for that - so it is the containing of the sheep that is the problem, not the sheep themselves.

Can assure you that they weren't doing that in Oz in 1827 :)

Cant say that it didn't happen in the long winters of Saxony though - barn living would have been the norm over there.

Souff

The idea is good in principle and in Europe the sheep are in large barns but more like barn raised chicken, they are not confined to individual pens, I dont know why we didn't embrace the free ranging barn idea here in Australia but I think the feeding costs of penned animals would have been a major contributor. CSIRO did a study on how many kjs a day a free ranging animal requires vs a penned "immobile" animal. Maybe also the wool is less damaged in pen situations but not sure. :)

My Grandpa had "Shedded" sheep as he called them. They never wore coats and lived in the shed with all the gates open in between pens. They lived as a small mob, but didn't go outside however there were bits of the shed that were open and they got fresh air and lay in the sunlight. He had radios playing, went over three times a day, they ran up to say hello and got pats. They were very healthy well adjusted sheep.

I never knew others kept them like that.................

http://sheepcruelty.wordpress.com/

It is only my opinion that the saxon merino industry is cruel. I worked as a wool classer in the early nineties and I have sheep, I take much delight in watching them and their individual quirks and strong family connections(they are a very established flock, family lines go back over thirty years with only new rams brought into the flock)

I have been into a saxon merino shed in Victoria and was appalled by what I saw.

Thanks for that - so it is the containing of the sheep that is the problem, not the sheep themselves.

Can assure you that they weren't doing that in Oz in 1827 :)

Cant say that it didn't happen in the long winters of Saxony though - barn living would have been the norm over there.

Souff

The idea is good in principle and in Europe the sheep are in large barns but more like barn raised chicken, they are not confined to individual pens, I dont know why we didn't embrace the free ranging barn idea here in Australia but I think the feeding costs of penned animals would have been a major contributor. CSIRO did a study on how many kjs a day a free ranging animal requires vs a penned "immobile" animal. Maybe also the wool is less damaged in pen situations but not sure. :)

My Grandpa had "Shedded" sheep as he called them. They never wore coats and lived in the shed with all the gates open in between pens. They lived as a small mob, but didn't go outside however there were bits of the shed that were open and they got fresh air and lay in the sunlight. He had radios playing, went over three times a day, they ran up to say hello and got pats. They were very healthy well adjusted sheep.

I never knew others kept them like that.................

It is an industry kept very quiet, I think they know it would not be recieved very well by the general public. I knew nothing about it until I did my wool classing certificate some years ago. I love the sound of how your Grandfather kept his sheep, that is how I think it should be done :)