Large Stool Deposits On Nutro

jamesn184

Hi All,

I've had Rosey (Golden Retriever) on Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy (Chicken & Rice) for over a month now and her stool's are still the size of my palm..

I thought Premium food was meant to reduce the size of a dog's stool...

If Nutro is not working my only other choices are really Royal Canin or Canidae..

I had Hugo on Nutro when he was a puppy but don't specifically remember that he was having extraordinarily large poos or anything.. could be a sign the food is not agreeing with him as the more that comes out at the other end, the less that is absorbed by the body (logically). We have Hugo on Black Hawk now (a premium, holistic food) and his poos are quite small, so it's definitely agreeing with him. Also works out to be cheaper, and he's gotten a nice sheen to his coat since switching.

Maybe you should consider looking around to find food that best suits your dog (regardless of any "holistic" or "premium" labels)? :) They're all different, some dogs do well on Pal, surprisingly enough! Ask around for some samples of food (I know you can get a 1KG sample bag of Black Hawk, for example, I don't know about any other brands that give out free samples, though, since I've only ever fed two things), and see which one agrees with your dog the best. Good luck!

Guest english.ivy

I fed Nutro for awhile and my Belgian had large poops while eating it. This was over a year ago though. I fed the lamb and rice Nutro and I think I fed the puppy to my Pointer but I can't clearly remember his poops but he was changed to BH pretty quickly due to Nutro being expensive for two dogs.

Her poops on BH are tiny. Badger eats a lot more as he's a growing puppy and he also eats toys etc so his are still a bit larger.

I'd be looking at the consistency (firmness) of the poo then the volume. firm poo shows the food has been digested properly, some foods just provide more fibre which some dogs need more then others. With a pup I wouldn't keep changing their food though.

I have seen a lot of dogs on Nutro do huge poops, to me if they are pooping big they are not utilising the food. My older dog eats Canidae only half a cup a day plus raw, 1 or 2 small poops a day and my puppy was on RC lab junior but had such bad wind and pooped heaps so i changed to Earthborn Holistic and he is much better.

I tried my dogs on Nutro Lamb & rice for a couple of weeks, & my dogs all had terrible stinky wind & very big poos.

They have now been eating Black hawk holistic for over 3 weeks now & am very happy that their poos are now very small & not one bit of stinky wind either. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

We recently have changed from all Nutro to Nutro and Taste of the Wild. We have one bag of Caandie ready to go after Nutro runs out.

I like the idea of having dog shit that you can kick to pickup as quoted from someones Vet. :)

It is a work in progress. :)

If you have a look at their Adult Lamb....

Not many functional foods there....if you're going to feed such huge amounts of grain you're going to see it come out the other end.

Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Maize Gluten, Natural Flavours (Chicken),