Chance

Guest Ams

I usually don't do individual threads for rescue but since this lad involved so many people to get him sprung alive and kicking from the pound I will do so for him.

Chance has arrived in sunny (okay stinking hot) Qld. He had all the baggage handlers fooled and they were very hesitant in letting me get him out of the crate. He was giving them all the stink eye and growling. As I was talking to him and opening the crate one of the blokes said "Lady do you know what you are doing with dogs you've never met?" One of the ladies working there burst out laughing as she has been there many times as I've taken cranky pei out of the crates and I ;) and said "Yeah I've done it once or twice before.". :laugh:

A little sing song voice, a gentle scritch on his butt and Chance was "Hmmmm maybe I like you.". The minute he was out of the crate he was all social ad sucking up to everyone and a totally different dog with his tail going double time.

With a little cuddle I bundled him into the car and took him to my vet where (sorry Chance) he had his vet work done (including the removal of his Xmas crackers). He was a very good boy, loved the cuddles and kisses from the nurses and behaved himself by not barking the clinic down (something a lot of pei do cause they HATE being in the cages).

He is now home and ensconsed in the quarantine area. He is sharing with another boy and they are all cool with each other. I will post pictures as I get a chance (pardon the pun) to take them.

Oh and he didn't try to eat the residence surgery cat "Mouse" so hopefully he will get full house rights and be able to enjoy couch cuddles.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my, what a journey this boy has taken everyone on :) He's now a very long way from the Queanbeyan pound happy in heaven at Peiradise. Thank you Ams, for giving him a chance ;) The last time I saw him he was in the end yard in the pound looking very sad. A fantastic outcome.

Ohhh, that is great news, thanks so much for giving him a chance Ams. He is a pretty big unit, haha would have loved to have seen the baggage handlers faces!

Fingers crossed he likes the cat so can get full house rights.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay sorry for the delay but Chance has been in quarantine with Chai. After a week he decided he didn't like Chai much and started having random fights with him. Chai was moved and then Chance didn't like being alone so he cleared the quarantine fences. He has also forced his way out of a kennel run (will have to fix that shortly). Thankfully he has nothing yukky to share.

Poor lad hits the deck every time I do something unexpected, like throw a toy to him or carry a rake past. Not sure if he is just timid by nature or if he has had a rough life. He will hit the deck even if I burp near him (new noise I guess). Having said that he is definitely a velcro dog and will be about 1 step behind you the whole way.

Funnily enough now that he is free the rest of the dogs don't like him at all. Every time he tries to come close to the house they chase him. Lucky for him he can run faster than they can and for longer. I brought him into the house today and they've left him alone. :shrug: go figure?

He seems okay with the cats so far although it is the middle of the day and they are all of snoozing some where.

He was funny to watch in quarantine as he was so super happy to see me he would do these kangaroo bounces and whilst they were always vertical, it didn't surprise me when he eventually got out of the pen because he could bounce higher than the 4 ft fences. Boing, boing boing. May be I should have called him skippy?:laugh:

Anyway that's all for now folks. I will update with photos hopefully some time this week.

Chance sounds such a loveable character especially how he feels about his new mum!

I hope the rest of the pack end up accepting him now that he's been 'inside'. Funny how they can react sometimes. Makes you wonder what signals dogs give out to each other. Hope his negative behaviour with Chai isn't an indication he's not good with other dogs. Is Chai usually dog friendly?

What a clever boy to be able to boing boing like that! He's quite a big solid dog so you wonder how he'd get up so high.

Thanks for the update Ams. Can't wait for the photos :)

Chai is the boy in the other thread that I 'rescued' from a rescue. He is not aggressive in any way as he is incapable of being so (medically he is a mess). It could have just been frustration at being stuck in quarantine with him. Chance comes across as incredibly submissive so I'm not sure why they go pack on him outside but are quite happy for him to come inside. Thankfully he is solid with cats and hasn't even batted an eyelid as they sail over his head.

Chance got to sleep inside last night and as long as he didn't venture into my bedroom, the dogs were quite happy to leave him to it. Sirius and Asante sana are both very choosy over whom they will share night cuddles with mum and Chance just hasn't make the short list (yet). He was amazing in ignoring all the kitties that came out to wander as the evening went on. He just ignored them all. He accompanied to the toilet (every time) cause you never know when I may climb out the little window and run away :laugh: . Strangely this morning the dogs again targeted him once outside so I have left him in a secure area so he can't escape and get picked on whilst I am at work. I will have to watch his body language closely cause there has to be some vibe he is giving off that is causing the reaction surely? he is fine if there is only one or two other dogs out, but as soon as more than that are let out with him it is ON!

Wow, dog body language is something we could study forever and never really understand. I wonder what the vibe is that he gives off that makes them not want to include him when outside. Weird.

Good news that he is good with the kitties and well behaved inside though. haha, they always think that we will escape out the bathroom window.

Thanks for the updates. PS, loved the photos of the Peinic!!

Our peinics are just awesome. So many people come and talk to us because they've not seen so many pei in one place and they get all excited about having cuddles, and all the different colours, shapes, sizes and coat lengths.

Chance is progressing nicely. He was playing zoomies this afternoon with Chastity and Chaplain. He is really timid and will not trust at all if you have anything that looks like a stick in your hand. He is still hesitant in coming forward if I am surrounded by other dogs (and I can understand that).

He is a very talented escape artist and none of my enclosures keep him contained but once in the house yard he is happy to chill.

He is quite an easy dog to look after and I am looking forward to building his confidence.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay finally I have had the time to take a few photos. Sadly my skill with a camera is minimal and it was extremely overcast this afternoon, but here are a few photos of Chance.

045.jpg

044.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

Edited by Ams

LM he hasn't had been pushed as available as yet. I've only taken photos today and he is now up on Petrescue. He is fine with me but can be incredibly shy with some people (others he treats as if he has known them forever) so introducing him to new people and sights will be important in his lead up to finding a new home. Pre Xmas is not a good time for adoptions as most people have planned holidays to go away and adding a furry member is not in their plans. Hopefully come the New Year he will get some interest and by then he will have some more training, manners and confidence.