Question About French Bulldog Pricing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So really the initial cost of health testing isn't any more than breeds that require hip and elbow scores, DNA testing and eye or hearing tests.

No it is far more involved than that. :)

I have two very close friends that breed frenchies(I consisder top class show and breeding stock) and I can assure you they earn every penny they get.

For the first 6 weeks you DON'T leave the pups, and I mean that, not even to go to the bathroom. You have a second person to watch the pups for you or you do it in shifts. The pups are well known for swimmers and if that happens you know what that means in this breed.

That is hours and hours of supporting the chests and getting them through a very critical time.

Also be prepared to lose at least 6 thousand dollers per litter if something should go wrong.

What with all the testing, stud fees + direct insemination vet fees, c section and if something should go wrong, and I have heard of a breeder losing three litters on the run plus a bitch into the bargain. Add all that up and it runs into a real lot of money. (Mega bucks)

Breeders of quality in show winning stock I take my hat off to you all.

I really appreciate all this input, I am learning lots about a breed I didn't know much about :)

Roova, thankyou for that website, also very informative, I will most certainly pass that along if I get the chance :) I am hoping I see this family at work again now to see how it turns out and offer updated advice... sometimes it is frustrating working in a pet shop, you always wonder what this person or that person decided!

As an owner and breeder of Frenchies I believe the price of $3000 is justafiable. Some breeders are charging more and some are charging less.

There is a lot of costs involved in having a litter as there is with any breed.

I am planning on mating my girl on her next season and I am looking around $3000 just for health tests, stud service and AI, then there is 99% of the time a c-section on top of that $1500. In the past I have had 2 litters first with 3 pups, second with 1 pup. I am yet to make a profit.

They are worth every cent of the $3000 and more. Once you've had one, you'll see why they are so special, unique and worth evry penny.

Well said, you can never just have 1 Frenchy, they are very addictive :thumbsup:

The breed has become a lot more popular over the past few years and I would recomend that anyone looking to add a Frenchy to their life do there homework. If pet buyers only buy from health tested parents it will either stop a lot of the undesirables from breeding or make them health test which can only be an improvement for the breed.

All parents should have their spine/hips xrayed, DNA tested for HC and have have hearts and patella's checked/scored.

Leanne

They have always been a fairly expensive breed, compared to others but basically, if you want one, you'll pay for it, that's how it goes.

They are worth every cent of the $3000 and more. Once you've had one, you'll see why they are so special, unique and worth evry penny.

For a well bred one, with spine x-rays etc. Yes. For one from a dodgy registered breeder (in some states all it takes is paying the rego) then no, not worth it. Not worth $1, IMO.

OMG :dropjaw: That is dedication! 6 weeks is a long time to lose income over (and a big ask of employers too I would imagine). Every cent has certainly been worked for !!

No, If you breed this breed you would certainly not want to have an employer. :)

This is in SOME cases the breed of breeders that stay at home or are retired or have dedicated family members that are at home.

So it would be reasonable to assume the stud fee alone would be in the vicinity of $3000? Nice work if you can get it?

Do breeders work together like in most other breeds?

No puppies no fee & a litter is two or more whelps?

Just curious.

So it would be reasonable to assume the stud fee alone would be in the vicinity of $3000? Nice work if you can get it?

Do breeders work together like in most other breeds?

No puppies no fee & a litter is two or more whelps?

Just curious.

We have a Grand Ch. male with all his health tests done and available. His stud fee is $2,000, and he is producing show champions (if you are interested in showing).

Yes - some of us, definitely :)

No fee payable until puppies on the ground, and yes, a litter is two or more whelps.

I don't know about anyone else, but we come from another breed :)

I don't know about harder work - the Frenchie litter was the most fun I have ever had with puppies.

With my Danes I slept downstairs in a purpose built whelping room for 5 weeks - with Frenchies it's next to the bed - bliss.

Four or five puppies compared to the 18 we have had with Danes - bliss.

Easy to pick up - my back thanks me.

Costs are also a helluva lot less than with a giant breed.

With our biggest male Danes at 115kg, and our bitches at least 85kg, we reckon 12 Frenchies = 1 Dane. Not that you would want that many - they are lovable little fiends :laugh:

Still eagerly reading everybody's advice, many thanks again for all these very helpful and insightful replies! This jumped out at me though...

With our biggest male Danes at 115kg

Excuse me while I take a second to...

:dropjaw:

The though fo a dog nearly twice as heavy as me... phew!

Perhaps they could look at adopting a slightly older one from a breeder?

Another excellent suggestion too, thankyou Darjoce!

Actually it doesn't explain why breeders who do no health testing charge the same as those who do. One might also assume that if they skip the health tests on the parents, they also skimp on any screening tests that could be done to ensure the pups are healthy and robust.

People looking for cheap pups from breeds that carry screw tails should research hemivertebrae, google is a good starting point - as well as images of xrays of wedges and hemis, and only then make a decision about whether the discount price is really worth it. Spinal issues bred on willy nilly and xrays foresaken in the face of making a quick buck can lead to major health and welfare problems in a short space of time. Heartbreaking and extremely costly.

Funny how people don't hesitate to invest in a car based on ongoing costs and performance, but have trouble seeing that same investment in a dog. I would think a pet is even more worthy of careful investment due to the vast emotional value vested in it as well.

Can anyone really say that a $3000 purebred will give them more pleasure/enjoyment than a $50 rescue, or the dog they rescued from the side of the road etc...

I am not saying one is better than the other, of course it all depends on the owner and the individual dog, but I don't think you can put a price on the happiness a dog can bring.

Yes. If the pedigree dog is what they want and fulfills their expectations.

There are some things that only a good example of a particular breed will give an owner.

Pride of ownership is important.

No it is far more involved than that. :)

I have two very close friends that breed frenchies(I consisder top class show and breeding stock) and I can assure you they earn every penny they get.

For the first 6 weeks you DON'T leave the pups, and I mean that, not even to go to the bathroom. You have a second person to watch the pups for you or you do it in shifts. The pups are well known for swimmers and if that happens you know what that means in this breed.

That is hours and hours of supporting the chests and getting them through a very critical time.

Also be prepared to lose at least 6 thousand dollers per litter if something should go wrong.

What with all the testing, stud fees + direct insemination vet fees, c section and if something should go wrong, and I have heard of a breeder losing three litters on the run plus a bitch into the bargain. Add all that up and it runs into a real lot of money. (Mega bucks)

Breeders of quality in show winning stock I take my hat off to you all.

This is a very good point.

not many understand the time a good breeder gives to a litter but also to maintain a kennel of quality dogs.

My obsession is my sacrifice, and I work part time to maintain my creatures.

But I am not an altruistic establishment.

If someone wants to own one of my creatures or access breed/gene pools

then there is a dollar cost.

A breeder called me for a stud fee and when I told them I heard their jaw drop as it was two - three times the norm.

But as I explained, I do not need your stud service, I have the dogs I want; it makes no difference to me whether you breed or not. But if you think I ask too high a price, do what I have done and then get back to me.

:curtsey:

Edited by lilli

Actually it doesn't explain why breeders who do no health testing charge the same as those who do. One might also assume that if they skip the health tests on the parents, they also skimp on any screening tests that could be done to ensure the pups are healthy and robust.

I would imagine that a breeder who was breeding for the dollar value and not the health check, would simply charge as much as 'the going rate' was in order to maximize profit?

I love the Frenchies too. I may even become a Frenchie owner in the near future. Just unsure about the health risks with this breed. The Frenchies i've met out and about in the past at dog parks ect sound like they have trouble breathing and about to drop dead. :confused:

It would be interesting to find out from the owners if health checks/breathing checks were done on the parents. If they say they don't know you'd have to imagine there's a good chance they weren't.

From what I understand one issue the FB can have is an elongated soft palate which then hangs in front of the airway during inhalation. The harder the dog breathes the greater the elongation of the soft palate. You can go down the surgical route for correction if necessary.

I know selecting for good breathing is done by some breeders and it must make a difference. My dog can run with the best of them, get puffed and pant like a normal dog - I don't hear that gagging to clear an airway or see her bringing up foam and saliva when eating/drinking.

Saving money by buying a pup from non health checked parents to save a few bucks is really not worth it when you might potentially end up with a dog who requires surgery. The prices between those who healthcheck and those who don't seem so much the same, a potential owner might as well spend a bit more time researching for the right breeder. :D

(Im only new to this so I hope I haven't given misinformation!)

Edited by Roova