Question About French Bulldog Pricing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with dancinbcs. They pretty much cover the main reason why this breed has greater health issues. This and other small dog breeds we initially been bred for their looks not health/physical ability which is what working dogs were initially breed for.

My question and interest is then, why are frenchies that much more expensive than pugs, (assuming that it is based on their health requirements)? I assume given that both are brachies, have curlie tails, big heads,and have similar litter problems that they would be similarly priced.

Pugs are much more common, more agile in structure, not as narrow in the pelvis (compared to the puppy head size) and don't have the rising topline that the Bulldog breeds have, so overall less problems.

My advice is research and take your time buying a French Bulldog. I was after an adult frenchie - and it took 15 months to find the right dog. In the end I bought a 10-month old bitch - much younger than I wanted, but the trade-off was great breathing and good health (and she is so fantastic in every way that I bless the day she joined our household). I looked at quite a few frenchies over that time and although they all looked gorgeous, some didn't seem to breathe too well, so I didn't proceed with buying. There were some in contention where the owners admitted the frenchie could be aggressive towards the same sex, and as we already had 3 other dogs I didn't want to risk it, so a few otherwise suitable dogs were ruled out on that score, too.

I avoided all cheap dogs - I figured I would get what I paid for - on the other hand I felt that anything over $3,000 was just cashing in on their popularity. Having said that there were some top priced dogs that didn't seem too healthy. I researched legitimate breeders (not back yarders) and just stuck with ones that had been breeding frenchies for many, many years and did health testing of parents before breeding them together. The majority of the breeders seemed to have just popped up "overnight" as it were, and I avoided them, too. (A work colleague went to pick up her dachshund puppy from a breeder - and the breeder's comment was "that's the last of the dachsie's - I'm going to breed frenchies from now on - there's more money in them ! :eek: - and that's what I mean by "cashing in" and not having the best interests of the breed at heart.) The breeders that I chose I contacted and let them know what I was after and my details. I kept in touch every few months to remind them about me. My patience paid off - I was contacted about the little girl I ended up with before she was advertised.

So my point is expect to pay around $3,000, expect that the parents are health tested for the appropriate things before they are bred together, and expect to be patient.

:):):)

Also, the breeder gave me a written full money-back guarantee if the dog was returned for any reason whatsover within two weeks - no questions asked. And as well, the dog was to be returned to them if I could no longer keep it down the track and they would rehome it. You can't ask for fairer than that - and they are the sort of breeders that I trust.

Edited by divinemissmillie

But if this is being done, why are there still such extensive health issues? What is the root cause? Presumably when you mentioned the 24 hour care required for new pups, that was by ethical breeders breeding fro the best of the best. If one is breeding from the best, why is that extremely high level of intervention required? Not trying to be provocatively - genuinely curious!

Regardless of what breed of pups I have they all get 24 hour care for at least the first week.

My pups are born and spend the first 3 weeks in my bedroom next to my bed where I can keep a constant eye on them.

Some breeds are a lot easier to whelp and breeders feel confident to leave them to whelp and raise pups by themselves. Some breeders also believe that if a bitch can't do it by themselves they should not be bred. I personally could never do that regardless of the breed. I put far to much time, energy and money into planning a litter to not worry about my bitch and her pups.

I breed French Bulldogs for the love of the breed and yes it would be lovely to have a large litter and come out on top but so far this has not been the case. I don't breed for the money, I breed because I could not live without these mischievious little guys in my life.

I do all possible health checks on my dogs because I wont this breed to be as healthy as possible and around for as long as possible.

It is up to the people purchasing a French Bulldog to make the right choices in choosing a breeder.

Yes they are expensive but there is also quite a few other breeds that are also.

How could you not love this face....

070.jpg

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

This thread caught my eye and I felt the urge to add my "two bob's" worth :D

The current pricing for this wonderful breed has increased but then I think you'll find most breeds prices have increased recently.

It would be interesting to have a table of breeds with their current prices to compare Frenchies with.

Three years ago when I was looking for a Frenchie there were hardly any litters on DOL and the price for puppies was around $2500. A year later when we were looking for another, the price had increased to $3000 with some up to $4000 along with an increase in litters available on DOL. Having said that, 8 to 10 years ago they were around the $1250 - $1500. They are a popular breed so the demand is there atm. If someone is prepared to spend this amount for a dog (what ever the breed), then one would think they would really look after and treasure their new family member.....I know I do :)

If someone is prepared to spend this amount for a dog (what ever the breed), then one would think they would really look after and treasure their new family member.....I know I do :)

Unfortunately this has been proven to be wrong in many breeds over the years. Sadly there's so many idiots out there who are only interested in the latest craze, don't provide a good home for the dog, and toss it out when the new fashion comes along. This is one of the reasons why puppy farmers flourish - they cater to a market and change breeds as soon as the market changes.

In all honesty how much a dog or breed needs extra attention or care or testing etc makes little difference to what a breeder can ask for a price and what they will get.

Not much point in a breeder pricing their pups based on what it cost to produce them if no one will pay it.

100% its supply and demand .Some breeders may be able to nudge the prices up a bit based on what they can market themselves and their dogs as but at the end of the day you can tell me a dog is worth anything and it makes no difference if no one is prepared to pay it.

I dont believe a good breeder could ever price their dogs and get what they are really worth and therefore anything they can get is a good thing as it helps them to put back into their breeding program and the standard of care they give their dogs.

As more breed them or less people want them the price will come down - it's still basic economics. Always will be. Supply and demand.

Personally I think registered breeders who are doing it all right should put their prices up as this is one sure way to demonstrate the difference. If good breeders are marketed effectively then the ones who dont test and who are not registered etc are seen to be cheaper because its a knock off - and inferior product and not branded by a good breeder's prefix. It baffles me as to why registered breeders who test keep their prices as low as thse who dont .Each time they put their prices up the ones doing it right should go higher and educate the buyers as to what more they get for the extra price.

I would love to have 'profit' from a litter to put money into research for the breed but demand means this will never happen. Well done to anyone who can make someone value the commitment they have for the next 10+ years and make it possible for the next person to also have an amazing dog. Buying a dog is an investment in that one, but it should also be seen as an investment into makings sure your chosen breed will be around in X number of years when you want another!

If someone is prepared to spend this amount for a dog (what ever the breed), then one would think they would really look after and treasure their new family member.....I know I do :)

Unfortunately this has been proven to be wrong in many breeds over the years. Sadly there's so many idiots out there who are only interested in the latest craze, don't provide a good home for the dog, and toss it out when the new fashion comes along. This is one of the reasons why puppy farmers flourish - they cater to a market and change breeds as soon as the market changes.

I agree Sandra .......even know of cat breeders who seem to change their breed(s) for what is the latest musthave and offloading their old "breeding stock"

Not all rare breeds are expensive though. Rare doesn't always equate to desirable and sometimes breeds are rare because few people want to own them.

Very true. I paid $1,000 for my first main registered Fauve and she was from the first litter born in Australia. If her breeder tried to recoup costs of importing her parents he would have needed to charge more than $3,000 per pup. There is starting to be a market for Fauves with the latest litter selling quickly to fabulous homes so I expect that their price will rise but there is no point charging lots for them if there isn't people wanting to buy one. :laugh:

Seems to be, I have seen them cheaply advertised at 800 or so, though maybe BYB people, same with Bostons.

I love those bat wing ears!

If you have seen Bostons advertised at 800.00 or anything under 2000.00 it is a scam. Had 3 contacts in the last few weeks, 1 had been scammed and 2 others very close to losing their money

I came across an ad for a $2500 French Bulldog puppy with no mention of health testing. I couldn't help myself and asked the seller what health testing the parents had. This is her reply:

Hi, I have not done health test on the parents,but the only time i have to go to the vets,is when the grils have a c-section,the parent are very healthy as they run around in the back yard and are fine,here is photos of parents and i stand by my breeding *name*.

Hmmmmm, I shudder to think how many puppies this person has sold! :mad