Feeding A Runt

bjazld

thanks bilbo baggins and swayd

birth weight their was a 90gram+ difference between her and 3 of the other pups and a 50 g diff between her and her and 1 other girl (who is now my biggest girl, 2nd biggest pup)

i definately realise the smaller ones will gain less/not be as big as their siblings, she is petite. I just was more looking for suggestions in case we went backwards rather than forwards. Someone on here has kindly given some great advice via a PM and i think although i was aware of it i wasnt being diligent or strict enough (my fault), and this arvo she is looking fatter already.

Birth wt doubled was just under by 10 grams at day 10.

the 10% perday and double weight by 10 days is very helpful, as much as i have read or tried to read on every aspect i can i dont recall reading this....however as a weak excuse my fatigue is high so i think when i am reading things the last week I am missing important points *sigh*

thanks

:)

There you go she was all good.

Have a read of theses, not the one I read originally.

http://www.bobtail.ru/text/oes/puppy_e.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1651&aid=916

Hi Guys,

Was hoping to get some tips. Have a little girl who is the bane of my life and I am at my wits end to know what to do. She will be 5 weeks on Monday. Was born a good size but had a bout of the runs (she was taken to the vets and put on rehydrating fluid 20ml every 2 hours) and then it began she would be half the size of her litter mates. She then would not suckle properly tried her on the bottle would not have a bar of it. Hated Biolac (was actually syringing it into her mouth) have been putting her with Mum first and on the back teats. The piggies are in last. Pups were started on solids (there are 8 of them) at 3 weeks using the Leerburg formula, beef mince and puppy kibble. Littlie wont eat it have been feeding her separately by putting food in her mouth which she promptly spits out. Have been putting Nutripet in her mouth which she will tolerate 3 times a day.

She is a spunky little thing and so pretty it breaks my heart. Took her back to the vet on Thursday and he fell in love with her said she is not ready to be weaned and to take Mum away (which I have done) and let her go until she is screaming for food. The thing is I really can't bring myself to do this have tried but she just goes to sleep.

Any suggestions would be great. Have never experienced this before have always had piggies vbg.

Thanks

Schwarzbear have you tried Divetelac? It has a sweet flavour and can be very good for tempting determined fusspots.

When I used to hand raise a lot of wildlife babies it was always accepted by those that didn't want anything else.

Thank you to those that have made suggestions much appreciated.

Last night I shredded some boiled chicken with a little bit of rice moistened with the chicken broth. Well the little tyke ate quite a bit sitting on my lap. Same again this morning. A little bit of progress which is great.