Urgent Help For Female Gsd X - Needs A New Home/foster Care

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Rachel, thank you for taking some time with her, it makes such a difference. I don't believe it about the clamshell, it wasn't out yesterady either. Why wouldn't you just leave it out ...

I have to agree with you there. :(

When I first took the clam pool there I asked M to leave it where Ellie could reach it on her rope. She said it would get muddy and so we set it up further down the back on the grass. I mentioned it today. I had to. I asked her to set it up on the concrete just below the steps and to please leave it set up so she could reach it when it's hot. Whether she does or not is a different story. :( I even took her a longer run so she could enjoy a little more freedom to splash and swim - with clips I attached either end to make it easy for M to move her about. I didn't see that there today either. :(

She mentioned Ellie likes to get in up to her knee's in the bucket whereas the pool isn't that deep. I said it might not be that deep but she can get in there and splash herself cool and could lay down if she wanted to. I said she can't do that in a bucket. :( They really don't have a clue do they? When I was there today M dissapeared into the laundry and came back with the pink lead and choker you guys had left there. She thought she had broken it because the chocker had come undone and was hanging straight. I had to show her how it works. In all honesty I hope they don't walk her. They don't have a clue or the confidence to do so and it could lead to disaster for Ellie. :(

I took note of her ears also and was relieved and pleased to see she had been putting the cream on. :thumbsup:

I'm afraid that they are really not very smart and don't want to learn either.

When I was there on Sunday the flies were buzzing around Ellie and I asked about the cream you'd left for her ears. They said they hadn't put it on because it only worked for a few hours .... I said that's better than nothing and you must apply it every day. Glad they listened about that.

I should have taken the chain and lead back with me because I said for them not to walk her after a few minutes of talking with the owner, she was so terrified of Ellie doing something that I said it would translate down the lead. She said her mother has a bad knee and I said she shouldn't be walking her either as she's so strong.

No sign of a foster home - I'm afraid I wasted a month at the beginning of this story because I had an interstate rescue group offering a foster home. They then proceeded to keep me hanging on, saying they were organising transport etc before finally saying they couldn't do it.

I am trying various avenues all the time, I had a potential home in VIC (they would drive up here first) which fell through yesterday.

Quite honestly it's not easy, by wasting the month I lost crucial time as rehomings have started slowing right down and don't pick up again until Feb now.

What to do? Do you leave her where she is or take her to a shelter and hope for the best? Most rescuers know at this time of year that it would be certain death for a dog like Ellie so I hold out hope that one of my ads or word of mouth will bring Ellie the home she deserves and asap.

I had the same thought too, would she be better in the pound, but i think that her exuburant barking when she see's another dog would go against her in the pound and be seen as aggression, and she would not get rehomed. :(

She is breaking my heart too ,to know she is stuck tied up with people who have no clue.

If you get any leads, i am more than happy to take Bonn over again to show that her barking and carrying on leads to nothing.

I don't know if you have done this and I don't know if it still exists but there use to be a german shepherd rescue in Canberra as I once looked at getting a dog from them.

Do you have a poster or something I could add to my facebook page to get the word out. I also have a friend that works at the RSPCA here and she might have some contacts to help out this girl. I can't make any promises but it seems so sad that this girl is in this situation with owners who don't know how to walk her.

I have been asking around to see if I can find a foster carer. Does she bark when she is left alone??

One of my old foster carers doesn't have any dogs any more so he MAY be willing to have her for two months..... I will call him but it would help if I know if she is a barker.

My Dane is too ill for me to consider it at the moment. Sigh...

Thanks Dogslife - no she's not a barker. She has been left alone for most of the time since she was adopted 6 yrs ago, noone in the family has ever been interested in her - that's what they told me.

The only time she barks is when you approach, she's a good guard dog and quite intimidating but I've lived with Shepherds before and wasn't worried by that, it's pretty typical.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dane, you've really been goign through tough times lately. :(

Edited by dogmad

Dogmad, send me an A4 poster with nice piccy & contact details & I will get it circulated around the rescue network in Canberra.

My e-mail is [email protected]

An indication of size would be good - in the pics she looks on the smaller size - a bit Kelpieish; I have a GSD x Kelpie - he weighs in at 35kg so is more Shepherd like.

Thanks Dogslife - no she's not a barker. She has been left alone for most of the time since she was adopted 6 yrs ago, noone in the family has ever been interested in her - that's what they told me.

The only time she barks is when you approach, she's a good guard dog and quite intimidating but I've lived with Shepherds before and wasn't worried by that, it's pretty typical.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dane, you've really been goign through tough times lately. :(

I will ask my former foster carer. I will see if I can twist his arm.

It has been a totally crap year for me this year....... my other Rottie also took ill yesterday and we were at the vets with her. I feel like I live at the Vets these days.

Lets see if we can make xmas a great one for this girl.

So sorry Dogslife, you really are having a continually tough time - I hope things start looking up very soon.

Trifecta - thanks for the offer of help - I'm sure she'd go well in Canberra.

Had my first enquiry from Petrescue today - it wasn't the right home but that is encouraging!

She could well have some Kelpie in there, she's a very big girl though - bigger than a kelpie. I need help to get her to the vets - her owners were supposed to have taken her in the last 2 weeks but they haven't. She needs a vaccination and heartworm test but isn't used to going in a car and I don't have a cargo barrier unfortunately.

Had another enquiry and an offer of a great foster home. Resident dog was brought over to meet Ellie today, after I'd walked her for a little while. Unfortunately he didn't like Ellie, she was good but he just would not accept her so that was that unfortunately.

The other home had cats and I haven't been able to cat test her but as the dogs/cats are not separated, it could be risky.

So sorry Dogslife, you really are having a continually tough time - I hope things start looking up very soon.

Trifecta - thanks for the offer of help - I'm sure she'd go well in Canberra.

Had my first enquiry from Petrescue today - it wasn't the right home but that is encouraging!

She could well have some Kelpie in there, she's a very big girl though - bigger than a kelpie. I need help to get her to the vets - her owners were supposed to have taken her in the last 2 weeks but they haven't. She needs a vaccination and heartworm test but isn't used to going in a car and I don't have a cargo barrier unfortunately.

I could help with the vet visit tues morn or wed , large hard crate in old van , should do the trick , let me know

Thanks Chezy & Chopper, I appreciate the offer of help as it is a very long way for you to go. Another DOL member has contacted me tonight with anoher offer of help to get Ellie to the vets - on behalf of Ellie, thank you everyone for your kindnesses at this especially busy time of year, much appreciated.

I'll keep you all posted!

Bumping Ellie. She really needs some Christmas cheer. Dogmad tells me she was wonderful with a 6 yo boy on Saturday. She would make a wonderful companion to a family with large breed experience; as dogmad says, Ellie has so much to offer.

Dogmad has done a couple of posters for circulation - I'm afraid with the new format I can't work out how to post them on here, but if you contact dogmad, they can be sent to you by e-mail. :)

Had another enquiry and an offer of a great foster home. Resident dog was brought over to meet Ellie today, after I'd walked her for a little while. Unfortunately he didn't like Ellie, she was good but he just would not accept her so that was that unfortunately.

The other home had cats and I haven't been able to cat test her but as the dogs/cats are not separated, it could be risky.

I am sad it didn't work out for Ellie with the potential fosterer's dog. :(

Good on you for trying though Dogmad. :thumbsup:

I am going to walk her tommorow or Thursday and will update when I do. I am not feeling the best atm, otherwise I would of went today. :(