Urgent Help For Female Gsd X - Needs A New Home/foster Care

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellie lived with a Rough Collie (Lassie type dog) male, for 8 months and not a problem.

Ellie was very good with the female Bull Terrier owned by Juice.

During the year in her current property, other dogs can and have gotten in to the yard with her on several occasions and each time she has been perfectly fine with them.

The dog she met on Saturday was aggressive with some dogs his owner had told me. Unfortunately he didn't like Ellie and as he weighed 55 kilos, we tried twice but it was potentially dangerous - his owner could hardly hold him.

As long as the other dog has a nice nature, I think Ellie would be fine. I haven't been able to test her with small dogs, it's a bit hard although she did see a maltese across the road and didn't react.

Well - Ellie was an absolute delight to travel with... like she'd done it heaps of times even! Harness on and buckled into the seatbelt clip, she settled on the back seat and enjoyed looking at all the sights as we drove to the vets. She only thought about poking her head into the front once, and I just said "no" and she took up watching the sights go past from the back side windows instead.

We got to the vet early, so I went and told them that we didn't know how she would react to the small dog that was there, and that we would happily wait outside the clinic until her turn came. The other dog went into the consult room, and one of the clinic staff said they would take Ellie out the back to do her test - no dramas there, Ellie happily went with her and behaved well.

When Ellie came out and I was talking to the clinic staff, the small dog came out of his consult - luckily I had Ellie on a shortish lead, because the little dog was not very nice, and started trying to have a go at her - I asked the owner politely to shorten her dog's lead (had him on one of those stupid retractable things and let him do whatever he wanted... grrr!) as we didn't know exactly how Ellie would take to being attacked. Ellie was quite interested in the feral fluffy, and I'm sure she wasn't overly happy at whatever he was barking at her - however, she was very easily corrected and her attention focused back on me and the pats I was giving her for correcting so well.

The clinic had 2 kittens in a large play cage, and I showed Ellie - she looked and sniffed - and then one of the kittens hissed at her and she jumped back and lost interest really quickly. Another round of "good Ellie" pats for that effort - and she wasn't too sure about going up to the kitten cage any more. I have a suspicion that if one ran, she'd probably chase it though...

She was happy to have the harness put on and walks on it like a charm - didn't pull at all. Rach - if someone wants to foster or adopt Ellie, you can give them the harness too, OK?

I'm really impressed at how obliging Ellie is. I was a total stranger, and she let me put a harness on her, put her into the car, go to the vets and get poked and prodded, then had a walk around a few blocks when we got home for good measure. She would make someone a very faithful and loving companion dog I reckon.

T.

Thanks T - your experience and help has been invaluable today.

I had an email enquiry tonight on Ellie - they have cats and 2 other dogs, I don't think we can risk the cats!

Could you test her properly? I've taken in heaps of dogs that quickly come around with my 3 cats provided they get to sus the cats out properly. More often that not it's just being able to get to the cat to see what they are. A cat with big balls is best. Out of all my rescues I've only had about 3 that I could not ever trust.

She sounds like the most divine dog and even I am sorely tempted but I'm afraid temp testing with chickens isn't proving as easy to overcome as cats.

Edited by Clyde

I'm with Clyde. Most of my rescues have also been fine with cats. There have been very few that would actually injure or kill. I have a few that will play chase but at the end it's just a friendly rumble. Is there a vet clinic with a dog friendly resident cat that would allow a meet/greet?

I have to say my vet's cat is wonderful for temp testing dogs with cats.

No probs T. Re. harness. Will do. :)

I am pleased to hear Ellie went so well yesterday on her little excursion. :thumbsup: Dog love her, it must of been a real adventure for her. Thanks for taking her T and also for taking her for a walk afterwards. :thanks:

Thanks T - your experience and help has been invaluable today.

I had an email enquiry tonight on Ellie - they have cats and 2 other dogs, I don't think we can risk the cats!

Could you test her properly? I've taken in heaps of dogs that quickly come around with my 3 cats provided they get to sus the cats out properly. More often that not it's just being able to get to the cat to see what they are. A cat with big balls is best. Out of all my rescues I've only had about 3 that I could not ever trust.

She sounds like the most divine dog and even I am sorely tempted but I'm afraid temp testing with chickens isn't proving as easy to overcome as cats.

I agree with Clyde. All of my dogs are used to my (multiple) cats, however, when one of the cats run the dogs will chase it and join in the fun.

'm really impressed at how obliging Ellie is. I was a total stranger, and she let me put a harness on her, put her into the car, go to the vets and get poked and prodded, then had a walk around a few blocks when we got home for good measure. She would make someone a very faithful and loving companion dog I reckon.

T.

That's all been a big test in itself. And she passed with flying colours. A prospective owner would be delighted reading your account of her big day out at the vet's, T.

It seems to me that she looks to humans for everything she needs....& doesn't seem overly needing to prey on, or dominate, other animals (like the kittens & the feisty little dog). So I totally agree with your last comment.

I think her overwhelming desire for companionship is what causes her to react to other dogs barking or lunging at her. I sensed no actual aggression from her at any point. She is a genuinely NICE girl who just needs a home where she can have company, be that human or another stable tempered dog to hang out with.

T.

I agree , she is desperate to be with anyone, wether it be human or doggy.

The whole situation is a nightmare, trying to rehome her when she is tied up 24/7 is near impossible as she is so excited to get off the rope it could put potentail people off, and you don't really get to see the true dog.

She so needs to get into foster care. :(

Actually, she is pretty calm and tolerant when you get her off the rope. She happily let me put the harness on and walk her around the yard sedately. Didn't pull or anything - but I've noticed that a harness will have that effect on quite a few dogs - it's having something across the chest that seems to slow them down a bit. I've used a long lead looped to hang in front of the chest before, and that works well to stop pulling too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ellie would be a lousy guard dog though - she's way too friendly... lol!

T.

i have a client with chooks if you need her testing clyde ;)

we have tested another dog with them before.

I've got too many fosters here atm :(

If I can move on one of my dog fosters I'd consider her after chook/stock testing but one of my fosters is 'hard work' and I expect she'll be here for some time.