Clicker Training , Vic

Forgot to add with the closed hand dont have food in it the idea is they get a reward for touching the hand try not to use food to motivate the dog to offer the behaviour that is where a lot of people come unstuck sometimes a lure is easier but if you us it get the food out of the hand quickly this is why targetting is sog ood you can use the target to position the dog rather than luring the dog

http://www.k9events.com/clicker4.html

here are some well writtien articles

Edited by yogibear

Thanks yogi! Don't worry your much better at explaining things than i am!

I do the thing when i hold the treat to my face and shes very good at that she will look at me until i give her the treat, its just when heeling she keeps her head focused infront of her instead of looking at me when i tell her to. I knwo its not going to happen straight away, i have done holding the treat to her nose then dragging it to my face and saying bonnie "focus". She will do the 1 second thing then go back to walking after she gets the treat.

Why do u targeting work before clicker training is my next question,

Thanks again

Abbie

Hi Abbey

actually you use the clicker to shape the target ok they work well together and for your heeling a taget may be the solution

Dogs like to see where they are going i wouldnt fret too much if he isnt looking at your face many dogs that get high scores dont

Last week i spent some time working on a similar issue with a friends dog who tend to look ahead instead of up at hre face we used a target stick a wodden spoon and started with getting her dog to follow the target then we asked for the behaviour with the dog in heel just for the first few strides using the touch cue and keeping it just up above her dogs head worked a treat as it is easier for the dog to focus on touching the stick than looking in your eyes

yb

Hi abbey

Are you able to get to kcc park i will be there around ten o clock tomorrow with a friend we are doing some work on dealing with stressy dogs we will be using targetting and clicker will be around for about an hour. I could show you what i am talking about. Im also there most Sunday mornings at present

yb

ohhh i get it now! thats a brilliant idea! and that will get her head up nice and high and nice too! That's the best solution i think that will help with her! Thanks so much ill start tomoro, i think i can do it by myself, and then maybe later on get some trialing help when we are both ready. So tomorrow, i start witht he closed hand touch command? and then expand that to different objects? I'll pick up a clicker and get started im sick of her being confused!

Thanks everyone you have helped heaps and i wil update on our progress :rolleyes:

Abbie

Hi Abbey

Glad to help yup start with a closed hand and dont add the cue till she is touching your hand when you hold it out in a few different spots the idea is you want her to reach for the hand that shows she has put the touching as the way to get the click ok and remeber to charge the clicker first ok have a look at the links i gave you for a good starting point and if you get stuck just yell.

yb

Thankyou so much! I have had my head down reading all the clicker info.

I have ordered a clicker, but i won't have it until tuesday. Should i still start her on targeting anyway? Then introduce the clicker or wait and do it later on.

Abbie :rolleyes:

I have had my head down reading all the clicker info.

I have ordered a clicker, but i won't have it until tuesday. Should i still start her on targeting anyway? Then introduce the clicker or wait and do it later on.

Abbie :cool:

Hello Abbie,

While you are waiting for your clicker, why don't you simply use your tongue to make a clicking sound OR use what's known as a "bridge" word such as "good" precisely as the animal performs the behaviour you want, then reward.

This is just what the clicker is, a marker!

Don't forget the very sound advice that has already been put into this thread, "charge" the clicker when it arrives so that your dog knows what it means - "I did the right thing, now a treat is coming"! :rolleyes:

Henrynchlo

Hi

Can someone please explain in simple terms what clicker training is? I am looking to get a dog and I feel quite daunted by all the different terminology, training methods and things Ive never heard of in my life. I am interested in good practical effective advice but dont want to be caught up in something just because its "flavour of the month". Can anyone point me in the right direction? I feel a little out of the loop :-)

Owning a dog again (its been ten years) is going to be a big commitment for me but I want to be sure Im trying to do the right things by my dog and myself.

Thanks in advance for responses!

Hi chezzyr,

Someone else could probably explain this better than me as i have onnly just started doing it, but basically it is a little clicker divise that when the dog does something you want it to do, for example sit you tell the dog "sit" then you click the divise it makes a clicking noise and then you praise the dog. Finally the dog will end up knowing that when you "click" it knows its done something right and turns to you for a treat. It has been around for a while and alot of people use it now, i don't tink its a flavour of the month thing lol.

just an update on how we went- bonnie rathered licking my hand than touching it haha but i didnt mind it was her first lesson, i used my mouth for clicking, and when she touched it i said bonnie "touch" then "click" then treat. Is this all ok so far? shes a bit fo a slow learner , but after a while she should get it.

Abbie

Can someone please explain in simple terms what clicker training is? I am looking to get a dog and I feel quite daunted by all the different terminology, training methods and things Ive never heard of in my life.

Hello Chezzyr :cool:

For a good description and, idea of what we are talking about go to http://www.clickertraining.com/

The method was described first by Karen Pryor in the U.S. and is the same method used to teach mammals in Sea World. If you ever get the opportunity, go to Sea World on the Gold Coast here in Oz or the Melbourne & Taronga Park Zoos to watch trainers use the method, albeit with whistles rather than clicker. The click marks the behaviour required It is based on the science of Operant & classical conditioning and relies on positive reinforcement rather than coercion or punishment

To quote from Melissa Alexander's book "Click for Joy" 2003 Pub. Sunshine Books - Page 2. "The technology is, at its core, very simple:

1. Get the behavior.

2. Mark the behavior (clicker or "bridge" word)

3. Reinforce the behavior (treats/toys etc..)

For example, if you want your pup to 'sit'.

Lure him/her with a treat into a sitting position (get the behaviour). The minute his/her bum hits the floor, click (mark the behaviour) & give him the treat (reinforce the behaviour). The dog has learnt that sitting has earned him a reward. You then put a name (cue) on the behaviour once the animal has it "down pat"!

That sounds pretty simple and it is! You can apply the same principles to all sorts of behaviours.

:( The words in brackets are mine!

I'd advise you to look at the website mentioned above.

A lot of people are using the clicker, unfortunately quite a few do not use it properly and that's where it gets the "flavour of the month" label.

There's so much info. on the web. Also go to http://www.K9events.com/ for a wealth of articles on the same subject. It is a huge site with a wealth of information for using positive reinforcement in dog training.

:rolleyes:

Henrynchlo.