Reverse The Ban.

klink

Guest donatella

Why inflict any form of amputation purely for cosmetic purpose and put a dog at risk of infection? Leave the ban I say, tails are gorgeous.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the cosmetics of docking are on the bottom of the list.....there are other reasons why some breeds get their tails docked im sure?

I cannot see any medical reason why a dog would need to get their tail docked (at birth I understand there are issues that happen to older docks that lead to tail docking for health purposes).

I support docking- working at a kennels I have seen so many injured tails of previously docked breeds. Would love this ban to be reversed, but dont know if it can be done now :(

Maybe you should add a poll to this topic?

When this topic was being debated a number of years ago, someone mentioned that a database on tail injuries following the docking ban, was going to be set up. Has this ever happened? It would be interesting to see empirical evidence on all tail injuries for traditionally docked as against non-docked breeds.

I have owned a docked and non-docked dog from the same breed under the same circumstances (city normally, but lots of time in the bush) and never had a problem with the tail. Love the look of the tail and would not support a reversal of the ban, unless there was overwhelming objective evidence for a particular breed(s).

I don't think the procedures done to livestock are to make them look "nicer".

neither realistically is the one for dogs - enough people have just been brainwashed by the anti-docking people to believe thats the only reason it's done. For some reason it's just more acceptable to grab an older farm animal, butcher it yourself whether you have any skill or not. If it gets necrotic because you dont know what you doing you leave it do die from infection or shoot it.

So ... whinging about dog tail docking really is a moot point. We have double standards and thats what shits me right up the wall. I've seen banding on stock done wrong, calves dehorned with an iron and pass out from the pain right there and it's not blinked at - he'll be right, he'll wake up and be none the wiser ... how about I apply an iron to your skull and see how 'right' you are. It's so much more horrific then banding a pups tail at such a young age a thousand times over.

Saying that I still have a greater issue we cut out a pups testicles or uterus at crucial deveopmental stages because it makes them easier for us whatever the cost to the dog is.

Too many double standards. More people need to have a goooooooood think about what is being done right now in Australia - tail docking was probably one of the least 'cruel' things out there.

Just because it's less cruel than butchering stock, doesn't mean it should be allowed again, Maybe the welfare of our farm animals needs some closer attention.

Desexing at any age is never done without anaesthetic and I wouldn't have a problem with tail docking if it was the same. But it's done with no painkillers at all, with a sharp blade, or the longer slower process of banding (which I've heard described as slamming your finger in a car door and leaving it there til it falls off). The pain must be unimaginable, Just because the puppy can't say "Ouch that hurts!" doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. And the crying because they are away from their mum when their tails are docked is because the docking hurts them. And the reason they go straight back onto the nipple and start sucking vigorously after the procedure is because they require comfort from the pain and shock they've just endured.

I don't have any problem with docking but I do have a problem with deliberately hurting baby animals.

Edited by Gayle.

Why inflict any form of amputation purely for cosmetic purpose and put a dog at risk of infection? Leave the ban I say, tails are gorgeous.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the cosmetics of docking are on the bottom of the list.....there are other reasons why some breeds get their tails docked im sure?

I cannot see any medical reason why a dog would need to get their tail docked (at birth I understand there are issues that happen to older docks that lead to tail docking for health purposes).

+1 I see no need to dock tails of dogs that are perfectly healthy and only because people think it looks pretty

+1 I see no need to dock tails of dogs that are perfectly healthy and only because people think it looks pretty

You have little understanding of the reasons behind the docking of certain breeds then.

How many of you that are anti-docking have had their pets desexed?

Doesn't desexing serve the purpose of preventing unwanted puppies though (among other benefits)? Tail docking seems to not have a positive benefit other than making people like their dogs more. Dogs have survived with tails since their 'inception' - if they shouldn't have them for their own safety - wouldn't they have been born without them?

Edited by Roova

Many of the breeds that are docked at birth are done for health reasons. Gundogs are used to flush out birds/rabbits etc from scrub (long tails get ripped up, burrs etc) and docked tails actually act as a rudder in the water.

Have you not seen the pain inflicted from split tails?!

I for one am in full support of the ban being lifted.

Desexing at any age is never done without anaesthetic and I wouldn't have a problem with tail docking if it was the same.

eeeeep wrong. People still desex animal with no anaesthetic, particularly males. Ever seen desexing when the vet cannot find the uterus? Going in for a dig around the internal organs with a spey hook on the smaller or even digging the hand in for the larger. You think when they wake up they dont scream or cry? Confused and in a lot of pain? Why do you think they get a nice long lasting shot of pain killers.

Doesn't desexing serve the purpose of preventing unwanted puppies though (among other benefits)? Tail docking seems to not have a positive benefit other than making people like their dogs more. Dogs have survived with tails since their 'inception' - if they shouldn't have them for their own safety - wouldn't they have been born without them?

no, responsible owners prevent unwanted puppies. I have 3 undesexed animals and have never had a whoops litter or even an a close call. We're just lazy and hence we would rather chop up baby animals and rip out their internal organs then be R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-L-E.

Dogs have not survived with their tails since inception. They are not the original form or shape of the animal they came from. Tail docking was invented because the breeds being used for their original purpose were being hurt in their daily life. Ear cropping as well was used to prevent long term pain and suffering to animals. It's a lot nicer to lose your tail when you're barely formed then later as an adult. Ask any veterinarian about the trauma adult tail amputations and large dew claw removals cause to animals.