Leasing A Bitch

SkySoaringMagpie

Just looking for some advice from those who have BTDT.

If someone offered to lease a bitch to you for a litter on the basis that the bitch stayed with them, they whelped the litter and then the pups went to you at 8 weeks, if you were interested, what would you sort out before hand in terms of agreeing money and other arrangements? Including contingency arrangements if something were to go wrong?

If you've done this before yourself, what did you expect from the person you leased the bitch to?

:thanks:

So the person is breeding a litter under your prefix?

I would only go into it if I had a good working relationship with the person.

I have bred/whelped/raised a litter under someone else's prefix, unfortunately we got just 1 pup. As I bore all the costs (stud, ceaser etc), I got to keep the pup.

I had homes lined up for any extra pups (which didn't appear) and was willing to split the sale price. I trusted the owner of the prefix and had very open and fair dealings beforehand. I also had a written agreement :)

I have done it several times. I chose the stud and arranged the mating. They outlayed all the money, took all the financial risk and kept all the money from the puppies. I lent them whelping supplies including the whelping box and dry bed and in a couple of cases actually put my prefix in dual names so their names would be included as breeders. After the litter was registered, I transferred the prefix back. I was there for the whelpings, ran back and forth helping out and teaching abotu breeding, found buyers, met them when they came to look at the litter, provided puppy notes and decided which puppies went on which register and which buyer got which one. In most cases the owner kept a puppy and I had the first option to buy a puppy for the cost of their actual expenses ie. vaccination, registration, microchip, eye test and something towards the food and stud fee. What do I get out of it? The continuation of my prefix and the option to get a puppy of the breeding I want. If it is never your intention to make money out of the deal it can work out very well.

Some of the owners I have done this with have just had one litter then desexed their bitch. Others have co-bred other litters with me under my prefix and eventually gone on to show, get their own prefix and become dedicated breeders. To me this is being a true mentor. It is one of the reasons that I never discount an enquiry for a bitch puppy that they would like to just have one litter before being desexed. Sometimes these are the ones most likley to make this sort of arrangement work.

I have never had any problems with these arrangements but you need to get to know the owners and be confident they will work with you. You also need to remember it is their bitch and litter even though it is under your prefix and never overstep where you fit in.

I leased my bitch back to her breeder and whelped a litter with her blessing. We are very good friends, have known each other for many years, everything was simply verbal based on that long term relationship and understanding. I wanted something from the bitch. All costs, decisions, etc were mine - I just didn't want to start yet another prefix for one litter... and I was happy to work with the prefix I already owned under.

ETS that I think that the strength of the relationship with the owner of the bitch is all important

Edited by lils mum

ETS that I think that the strength of the relationship with the owner of the bitch is all important

No truer words can be said.

I leased a bitch back from someone that I had a passing association with ( I bred the bitch that was leased ) and it turned into a less than happy situation for both of us.