Fur-proofing Carpet...

Jake-K9

I am in a rental place, and my landlord is totally cool with my dog, and with him being inside, but doesn't want him on the carpet. I don't want him on the carpet either...

it's just me and him living there, and there is only carpet in the bedrooms, the rest of the house is tiles, so I've just made the lounge room my bedroom and leave all the rooms empty and shut... all good.

except now it's coming into summer and starting to get too hot to sleep comfortably during the day, even with the fan on flat out... doggo is warm too, he is allowed on the bed with me but lately has been sleeping on the tiles straight under the fan... there is no aircon in the lounge, only the bedrooms :(

so, what's the best way to cover the carpet up so we can go into a room to sleep in the aircon?

the only idea I've had so far is to go to salvos or vinnies or similar and buy a heap of old sheets to lay on the floor, but I can see them being too thin, maybe blankets would be better? any and all suggestions welcomed.... thanks in advance!

Had the same problem when I convertd a bedroom into my massage treatment room at home. I had to protect my carpets from oil. I just covered the floor with MDF (thin sheets of chip board) then bought cheap lino off the roll from Bunnings.I cut the lino to size and didn't even glue it down. Think the whole thing cost approx $150. Might be worth a good nights sleep. Hope this helps :)

If you can source those old chennile bedspreads, I can recommend them for floor coverings.

Because they are cotton, hair doesn't stick to them, they don't get too smelly too quickly being a natural fibre & are cool to lie on.

Quick shake daily & they wash easily.

I have lots of them that I find at the local op shops.

Edited by jakeyjangels

There is only one way to keep dog hair off carpet - a Dyson vacuum cleaner with a rotating head.

No matter whether you don't physically have a dog on the carpet or not, the dog hair attaches to your clothing and still manages to travel around the house. The Dyson is the only way I know of for making your home look unlived in by dogs.

Had the same problem when I convertd a bedroom into my massage treatment room at home. I had to protect my carpets from oil. I just covered the floor with MDF (thin sheets of chip board) then bought cheap lino off the roll from Bunnings.I cut the lino to size and didn't even glue it down. Think the whole thing cost approx $150. Might be worth a good nights sleep. Hope this helps :)

That's a good idea.

thanks for all the ideas folks :) and sorry for the delayed response, got called in to work early last night so left the house in a tearing hurry in the afternoon and didn't go anywhere near the PC...

not quite ready to buy myself a new vacuum - already have a decently expensive Miele that's less than 12mo... but liking the idea of marine carpet or lino :)

thanks!

Edited by Jake-K9

Jake-k9 - Sorry this is totally off topic but just wondering about Doggo. I know he was? your housemates dog....just curious as it sounds like you are living on your own with him now..did you manage to get him to give you Doggo? If so that is great, I remember your roommate was a bit unstable and couldn't really afford to care for him. Did you get him checked for cancer? I know you were concerned about a lump a while back.

Sorry for all the questions and feel free to not answer if I am prying!

K&P, "doggo" is sort of a generic term I use when referring to a dog, or sometimes "muttley"... and no, I got the hell out of there as fast as I could when I was offered a place through someone at work... I was honestly ready to kill the lazy fat f*** :/ I'd found myself thinking of ways to trip him down the steps or something to make it look accidental, cause once he was down I wasn't going to be able to move him... and drove 1600k's to get away from him when I found myself with 3 days in a row off work...

he's been blocked from seeing my Facebook posts for some time, and when I moved, I blocked all his from showing in my feed, because every time I saw one I would just end up seething and infuriated, and I moved to get away from having to feel like that...

so no, his doggo stayed with him, and as far as I know his situation hasn't changed one iota, so I seriously doubt he has taken doggo to a vet... and I try hard not to think about it because as much as it sucks there really isn't anything I can do about it :(

K&P, "doggo" is sort of a generic term I use when referring to a dog, or sometimes "muttley"... and no, I got the hell out of there as fast as I could when I was offered a place through someone at work... I was honestly ready to kill the lazy fat f*** :/ I'd found myself thinking of ways to trip him down the steps or something to make it look accidental, cause once he was down I wasn't going to be able to move him... and drove 1600k's to get away from him when I found myself with 3 days in a row off work...

he's been blocked from seeing my Facebook posts for some time, and when I moved, I blocked all his from showing in my feed, because every time I saw one I would just end up seething and infuriated, and I moved to get away from having to feel like that...

so no, his doggo stayed with him, and as far as I know his situation hasn't changed one iota, so I seriously doubt he has taken doggo to a vet... and I try hard not to think about it because as much as it sucks there really isn't anything I can do about it :(

Ahhh ok, that makes sense RE: doggo that is. I always wondered why you wrote it without capitalization and I sort of thought maybe that is why after I wrote my last post.

That is a bummer about his dog but sounds like you really needed to get out of there.

So what breed of dog do you have now? How old? Pictures? :)

Just be careful about covering up carpet with lino or other carpet/rugs as sometimes it can turn the carpet underneath yellow. This is caused by the the glue that holds the carpet together offgasing and not being able to evaporate into the atmosphere. (20 years exp as a carpet cleaner)

Also if you are puting cheap rugs over the carpet you can get dye migration from rug to carpet

Howie

Edited by Lakies