Crate Acceptance

Jordan Windebank

I am furiously reading up on the pro's of crate training your dog and am leaning more and more towards it however how do you handle the reaction from uninformed friends or family who come and see the crate as a way of locking up the animal?

This was my initial thought when I read up on it and even looking at pictures it gives me a real uneasiness. I can definitely see the benefits and think I'll go down this path but can just imagine the reactions I am likely to have to deal with when people visit. How do you deal with it?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I've stopped caring ;)

To those that are interested I explain why I do it. To those that are critical I just ignore them although enjoy watching their amazement when my dogs happily and eagerly RUN into their crates. I often use crates to protect my dogs from visitors so it's a bit hard explaining that without offending :laugh:

Hi, I just replied in your other thread too. I find the soft crates look much nicer and more inviting than the metal crates, they are also far lighter and easier to set up and take down. However for a puppy who is going to want to chew everything, a metal crate is a good idea to start. You could always cover it in a blanket, dogs like this anyway as it is more den-like for them. At the end of the day, it's your pup and you're doing what is best for it, so try not to worry too much about what others may say. Once they see that your dog loves it's crate (and he will!) they will shutup pretty quickly :)

I am furiously reading up on the pro's of crate training your dog and am leaning more and more towards it however how do you handle the reaction from uninformed friends or family who come and see the crate as a way of locking up the animal?

This was my initial thought when I read up on it and even looking at pictures it gives me a real uneasiness. I can definitely see the benefits and think I'll go down this path but can just imagine the reactions I am likely to have to deal with when people visit. How do you deal with it?

My family are fine with it, although it did take a bit of explaining to my sister. To be honest, I don't shut the door to it all that much at home, it's more like a dog house in that regards now. I usually shut him in if we're visiting at someone's place for when the people are eating or to give him a break from their kids :) or at obedience etc. I have had a couple of people question it, but usually just seeing Paddy race in with his tail wagging and curl up happily to have a snooze when I shut the door is explanation enough! It's much nicer for him in a strange place to have a little safe den where he's happy than to have to leave him in an unfamilar backyard by himself - I've done that with previous dogs and this little guy is much more relaxed! Plus when he needs to go to the vet for desexing he shouldn't be too stressed out about being confined there for the morning. You Just have to get past the fact that it LOOKS ilke a cage, but is in fact their safe zone. Best decision I could have made was to crate train..

I have to admit I'm not an advocate of crating dogs for long periods of time, unless at night, but I wouldn't expect thats what you are planning. Instead you're probably going to use it as many of us do, a convenient cosy spot for doggy when he/she wants a sleep or needs to be contained for your or their sanity/safety.

My friends and family that aren't really involved in the dog world know my dogs are well cared for and have life full of physical and mental stimulation. While use of a crate may be unfamiliar to them, they know I would never compromise my dogs welfare and accept the very simple explanation of it being 'their home' where they can be safe and unbothered at their leisure or when required.

I've never come up against resistance to the use of crates from them, but at the end of the day if there was, I would just ignore them. If they don't get it, then they don't get dogs and it just ain't worth the arguement.

I have been told in the past they are cruel prisons and cages.

My dogs happily go in them and it keeps them safe from other dogs/people etc. At dog club I train two dogs. There is no way I would leave one tied up and train the other one when I have seen many dogs hassled by dogs and people and even some dogs attacked and they couldn't get away.

I have had people ask, I explain, if they don't like it tough. Mine choose to sleep in crates at night with the doors open, and fight to get into their crate when I put it up at dog club/shows etc.

Having them crated means they can relax, if I am holding their lead they never truely relax. This weekend coming up our weekend is going to be very full on and getting through it with as much rest as possible will be hard enough. If they could not realx and have proper rest in their crate then I am sure they would never make it through.

I take one of my soft crates every where I go with the dogs. They head straight in, plonk down, and fall asleep.

Like OSoSwift said, without it they'd never really get a proper rest.

I don't normally have one set up at home (they sleep on the couch and our bed) but if I do for any reason set it up, they're straight in and loving it.

I get the opposite to what you're worried about. I've had some many comments of "oh wow, that's a great idea. Where do I buy one of those?"

Basically, it is their 'den' or 'safe haven' - the same way we have a bedroom.

I will admit I have never had anyone say anything negative about my dogs being in crates. We have several set up permanently in the family room and the dogs go in and sleep in them with the doors open of their own accord. I can close the door when feeding them separately, or when I need to protect them from visitors (yes, rather than the other way around, sometimes the dogs need somewhere they can relax away from harassing kids!!)

As some have mentioned too, they tend to relax a lot more in crates when we are out than when on a lead/tethered so it helps them have 'down time' .

post-5072-0-25575900-1321323567_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

Must admit i knew nothing about dog crates before i started to actually seek out the information. I was at my wits end with the puppy peeing and pooing during the night. Got a soft crate for him and his toilet training become perfect over night. He no longer uses it but Abbie has taken ownership of it now and actually prefers to sleep in that rather than her mattress..so i just leave the zip open. There have been so many times where having a crate has come in handy! e.g - bed rest after operations, keeping the dogs separated. I love mine :)

Basically, it is their 'den' or 'safe haven' - the same way we have a bedroom.

I will admit I have never had anyone say anything negative about my dogs being in crates. We have several set up permanently in the family room and the dogs go in and sleep in them with the doors open of their own accord. I can close the door when feeding them separately, or when I need to protect them from visitors (yes, rather than the other way around, sometimes the dogs need somewhere they can relax away from harassing kids!!)

As some have mentioned too, they tend to relax a lot more in crates when we are out than when on a lead/tethered so it helps them have 'down time' .

Your dog looks so stressed out being locked in a cage... NOT!

We have two crates inside, and Georgia is quite often found snoozing in one of them. She obviously feels safe in there. I was discussing crate training with a friend who is a vet nurse, she told me her vet she works with is dead againt it and thinks its cruel... well, my little girl has been crate trained since before she arrived, and its come in handy because she's had two operations and the fact that a crate didn't scare her, helped greately while she was staying at the vet reouperating.

I was discussing crate training with a friend who is a vet nurse, she told me her vet she works with is dead againt it and thinks its cruel...well, my little girl has been crate trained since before she arrived, and its come in handy because she's had two operations and the fact that a crate didn't scare her, helped greately while she was staying at the vet reouperating.

Yes, a bit of a double standard for a vet to think it is cruel for a dog to be in a crate when I am betting he uses 'cages' (expensive stainless steel crates) to contain his patients!

As you say, a crate trained dog will be LESS stressed by a vet stay as being crated will be nothing new to them.

Your dog looks so stressed out being locked in a cage... NOT!

Upside down is a common position for them in the crates - even as adults! :laugh:

Edited by espinay2

I've actually never had anyone comment on my dog's crate and it is centrally placed in the living room.

I leave the door open and she chooses to go in when she wants.

It is a soft crate and looks quite comfy and attractive so I guess that helps.

I think people appreciate the dog keeping out of the way especially if they are non doggy people.

People comment on ours all the time - I simply say that they're just a kennel with a door. They normally spend 5 minutes in my house and notice how much our dogs LOVE their crates or watch them come tearing inside from their dog run to the comfort o ftheir crates. I simply wish that they were a little more decorative :laugh:

People comment on ours all the time - I simply say that they're just a kennel with a door. They normally spend 5 minutes in my house and notice how much our dogs LOVE their crates or watch them come tearing inside from their dog run to the comfort o ftheir crates. I simply wish that they were a little more decorative :laugh:

I've seen beautiful decorative ones made into chests with a space underneath.....they look great...I'd say they'd cost a bomb though

I was discussing crate training with a friend who is a vet nurse, she told me her vet she works with is dead againt it and thinks its cruel...

None of the vets I work with would have the foggiest if I mentioned the words "crate training".

Yet when a patient comes in for something like and ACL repair, they ask "do we have any of those black cage things to hire out at the moment?" :rolleyes:

(We have a few metal crates we hire to clients for such occasions)