Brisbane/gold Coast Kennels

RL1

Hi all,

I'm after some suggestions or recommendations for boarding kennels who will take on problem dogs. My 9 1/2 year old Rottweiler

has fear aggression and doesn't trust people and has a dislike of other dogs when in public. He has never bitten a person or another dog, but has lunged at both several times. He has stayed at a Brisbane based training ctr for a week several years ago, but i'm not keen to take him back there.

Do these type of boarding kennels even exist, or am I out of luck ? I'm looking for a kennel where there will be no interaction with other dogs and as limited human contact as possible to be on the safe side.

I do have one possible lead i will follow up, but nothing suitable as yet. Anywhere in the Brisbane,Gold Coast and

surrounding areas.

Edited by RL1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it worth getting a professional pet sitter to come to your home to look after him? Someone who has dog handling/training experience and knows how to deal with aggressive dogs? Or can you offer safe, restricted access to be able to provide food and water without the chance of being attacked?

there is a guy his name is Gary Jackson, he has a security / sniffer dog training facility also boarding kennel and obedience training. I have Brought ex security dogs from him and had him train a german shep of mine years ago. He is very experienced with aggressive dogs and so are his workers. I don't have a number but he is located at narangba north of Brisbane.

Edited by Angeluca

I wonder if Jane Harper or K9pro would know of anywhere suitable? They are both experienced behaviourists/trainers, Jane is in that area.

Could be worth a try if JH is a local.

I know Anthea from Craig Murray does it on the Gold Coast. There's also Alan from K9 Centre, but not sure about his methods.

I'm not after training for my dog. I'm looking for a kennel who can board a problem dog. Thanks.

there is a guy his name is Gary Jackson, he has a security / sniffer dog training facility also boarding kennel and obedience training. I have Brought ex security dogs from him and had him train a german shep of mine years ago. He is very experienced with aggressive dogs and so are his workers. I don't have a number but he is located at narangba north of Brisbane.

My dog has stayed there in the past, but...hmmm

Edited by RL1

I'm after some suggestions or recommendations for boarding kennels who will take on problem dogs. My 9 1/2 year old Rottweiler

has fear aggression and doesn't trust people and has a dislike of other dogs when in public. He has never bitten a person or another dog, but has lunged at both several times. He has stayed at a Brisbane based training ctr for a week several years ago, but i'm not keen to take him back there.

Do these type of boarding kennels even exist, or am I out of luck ?

If I were in your shoes, I'd be calling any and all local Rotti breeders. One of them may have a little extra kennel space . . . and they will have had experience handling large dogs. I'd guess that someone who knows what they're doing is going to be able to avoid setting off fear/aggression.

Having run a boarding kennel . . . if you're looking for Xmas boarding, you are going to need more than luck to find a place that will accept a problem dog. Most will be booked out.

RL have you tried Dakabin RSPCA? They have boarding kennels and surely they would know how to deal with fearful dogs.

No i haven't considered them AMS. I know there is a suitable kennel out there. Finding it is the hard part.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be calling any and all local Rotti breeders. One of them may have a little extra kennel space . . . and they will have had experience handling large dogs. I'd guess that someone who knows what they're doing is going to be able to avoid setting off fear/aggression.

Having run a boarding kennel . . . if you're looking for Xmas boarding, you are going to need more than luck to find a place that will accept a problem dog. Most will be booked out.

I know a Rotty breeder, but again this person can't look after my boy and i won't be asking again.

I know i am dreaming to think i'll find a kennel before Christmas, but i still want to find a suitable kennel that allows me to have short holidays now or in the very near future. I'm due for one.

Edited by RL1

That may be what the OP wants. A lot of kennels are like that anyway.

That's actually what I was thinking- I wouldn't trust it, but I'm sure many kennels operate like this in reality, despite what they advertise as doggy nirvana while you're on holiday..

That may be what the OP wants. A lot of kennels are like that anyway.

That's actually what I was thinking- I wouldn't trust it, but I'm sure many kennels operate like this in reality, despite what they advertise as doggy nirvana while you're on holiday..

Yes they all make it look like doggy heaven, but they're all just a business there to make money.

I will be calling one kennel Monday and see how i go / If they are prepared to take him, i'll give him a trial run at

the kennel for a couple days and see how it goes before i book a longer stay.

Edited by RL1

Redgum Kennels are a no go. Fully booked out from mid December to mid January. However they're not interested in a dog

like mine. Said i would be better off to find a kennel with large runs.

Back to square one. :banghead:

Edited by RL1