Mobile Dog Wash

Karramar

Hi, I'm considering a change in jobs. After doing office-work for the past almost 30 years, its time to do something different, something for myself. Something that will provide me with more flexibility. I'm considering a mobile dog wash and was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with any of the franchises. I think I would prefer to go down the franchise path as they offer training, support and back-up, which I think would make me feel more secure. Any feedback would be most appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :)

Id be pretty hesistant to join a franchise. I've heard not nice things about them!

Have you done dog washing before? If not a good start might be volunteering at a rescue washing dogs etc to make sure you like it before you go any further, and that will be a starter for experience too.

I too would not be interested in any franchises. When we started up our own mobile dog grooming company we started from scratch. Its not that hard to get established. We no longer do mobile work as it was starting to cost to much with fuel and general wear and tear on the vehicle and trailer and to keep prices competitive. Also some of the driveways at peoples houses were horrendous and needed a 4wd (which we had) to get in and out of. Where we are located there are alot of other mobile groomers/dog washes and a few customers are wary of using mobile groomers where others its more convenient for them having someone come to the house. We now have 2 shops and can offer way better prices than we could mobile. The other thing we found hard when we first started was working out which area we were going to cover and sticking to it. At first you would be going from one side of town to the other than here there and everywhere until you have built up enough of a client base to say ok I will be in your area on this particular day. Sometimes that suited the customer other times it wouldnt suit.

Good luck with your new adventure it is a very rewarding job. The dogs are wonderful however some owners not so but majority are awsome.

I agree with the comment of volunteering at a rescue organisation or something of similar to help gain experience.

There are pros and cons with starting from scratch vs buying into a franchise. With a franchise you do get initial training, and ongoing support, but these come at a price. Not just the cost to buy in, but also ongoing royalties for the life of the franchise.

Can you maybe start part time on weekends while you stay in your current job, until you get enough clients to support a full time business?

If you find that you are getting too many clients for the weekend, but not quite enough to quit your job just yet, you can always contract the week days out and lease your grooming vehicle. Eventually it will be big enough that you can do it full time.

if you google my user name, you will find lots of info on working with pets :)