Upset Tummy Again

best4koda

it's a matter as well of trial and error of finding what upsets your dog's stomach

I have one that is very sensitive but she is fine if I'm strict with what she gets

Lamb is the worse for her, upsets her stomach as well as gives her hot spots

she is okay on beef bones, chicken wings, beef mince cookced with pasta and vegies. Surprising I have found she is fine with normal Supercoat but other dog biscuits can cause a problem.

It's interesting to read what additional things I can give her if need be and I will take note.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the above presso very interesting. Just checked the ingredients on supercoat sensative which is the only kibble that Koda seems to tolerate. Only grains in it are rice and sorghum which are gluten free compared with other kibbles we have tried. In the presso Karen mentions gluten free not just grain free which is the first time I've had that mentioned which makes it even a bit clearer to what you are looking for in a kibble regarding grains.

Thank you for linking this presso Echo. I have also sent it to a staff member of a dog kennel that presently have a couple of dogs they can't finger out and get to not have the runs. She straight away asked for a copy as well when the dogs sounded similar to mine and that this info might help them sort them out.

Thank you.

If a kibble is grain free it has to be gluten free!! Gluten is wheat which is a grain...

Hi Best4Koda,

It's very frustrating trying to work out GI/ allergy issues.

My dog is in the middle of yet another round of vet treatment for his ongoing diarrhoea/vomiting problems. The cause of my dogs problem may be quite different from yours, although GSD's and Boxers share a higher risk (unfortunately :( ) for some gut disorders. Anyway, some of the things that are helping my dog at the moment, as directed by our vet are:

Antibiotics, Paw probiotic powder, Z/D low allergen food, Metamucil (for humans, but help his otherwise liquid poo firm up) plus a childs dose of Vit B complex added to food also. Bit of a rigmarole, but his gut has settled down and he is not looking quite so anorexic. He is also getting regular injections of Vit B12 as it apparently is depleted by having chronic diarrhoea. It's cheap and within 24 hours he actually has an appetite. Amazing for this dog, who often refuses to eat.

Anyway, that's what is working for him, although I guess the causes could be quite different for Koda? It does seem that there are some similar treatments for many of the different GI disorders/ allergies though. eg. Low allergy diet (and especially avoiding beef and wheat, as you are), probiotics to help re-balance the gut, and psyllium husks as others have suggested too.

Good luck with working it out. It's a frustrating puzzle. Really annoying when the neglected dog next door can seemingly eat any old thing and thrive on it....

If a kibble is grain free it has to be gluten free!! Gluten is wheat which is a grain...

Yes, but there are other considerations as well as oates do also contain gluten as well. But generally speaking grain free means wheat free which is the main offender of gluten and particularly the one that affects animals and humans.

trinabean,

Yes it is certainly a puzzle that's for sure. What is rigmarole?

Once we relocate in 2 weeks to wa I will slowly methodically start from scratch and do probiotics, slippery elm, metamucil etc and see if we can get her settled in the long term. This has been a good thread this time. Previously I haven't had such good imput for whatever reason.

Hope you pooch is able to move forward too. It's really concerning not knowing what you can feed.

trinabean,

Yes it is certainly a puzzle that's for sure. What is rigmarole?

Once we relocate in 2 weeks to wa I will slowly methodically start from scratch and do probiotics, slippery elm, metamucil etc and see if we can get her settled in the long term. This has been a good thread this time. Previously I haven't had such good imput for whatever reason.

Hope you pooch is able to move forward too. It's really concerning not knowing what you can feed.

Oops, I've probably spelt it wrong but a bit of a rigmarole generally means a bit of stuffing around. Not an easy straightforward thing. :)

So at the moment feeding my dog involves 2 feeds a day where I:

Administer antibiotic tablet

Mix up Metamucil and a little water, put it into a syringe and squirt that into his mouth

Crush Vit B complex and a folate tablet, sprinkle onto food

Measure probiotic powder and sprinkle onto food

And (note to self) don't let Z/D food run out, as it's a drive to the vets and sometimes they run low and need to order it in. I wish I could give him bones again as he LOVES them and they keep him occupied. I'm resisting though as this is the most settled his gut has been, and we haven't completey worked out what is going on.

Your plan of slowly and methodically adding probiotics etc. to her diet sounds good. Whereabouts in WA are you relocating to? Hopefully you'll find a good vet too. :crossfingers:

Edited by trinabean

Yes, but there are other considerations as well as oates do also contain gluten as well. But generally speaking grain free means wheat free which is the main offender of gluten and particularly the one that affects animals and humans.

They have one more research and people with celiac disease ( no gluten allowed) can now eat oats. I myself can't have them though and neither can my dog.

Trinabean, lol...sorry didn't realise that's what you meant by rigmarole...LMAO now....I seriously missed it....but it's given me a laugh now. Yeah, I think that is what i have done wrong this time adding things that I shouldn't to the diet...not bad things but enough to unsettle her gut.

Mason, we are moving to Karratha in WA so vets will be very limited indeed. A long way from Perth.

Just done a quick check of all the dog foods we have tried and they all have some form of gluten. Either directly wheat or corn gluten, or milder forms such as oats or barley.

My dog is having the same issue lately but also passing blood, he has bad colitis all the tests came back normal so I'm guessing it's his food allergies playing up .

Last Saturday, my dog had pretty bad diarrohea. Around midnight, he was passing so much blood that it really scared me. Then again at about 2.30am. He didn't even make it to the dog door on time and it was all over the living room floor. The smell was terrible and the amount of fresh blood really frightened me. I couldn't sleep all night as I had to keep an eye on him. At 8:00 am he went again, but nothing except fresh blood. It was a Sunday and luckily the vet was open between 10-12pm. I called the vet and I requested for my dog to be put on a drip right away. However, after taking him there, the vet said to give him the WD prescription diet and antibiotics. At that stage, he didn't need to be on a drip as he was only a little dehydrated and didn’t have a fever. Thank God, he's back to normal now. This happened to him once before about two years ago when he had to be on a drip overnight because he was pretty dehydrated and had a fever. He was diagnosed with colitis. I'm guessing this time it was the same as before and it could be food allergies playing up. It could be the kangaroo jerky or something. The thought of losing him that night tears me apart.

Btw, I have been giving him protexin for years now. It's a good thing but it won't stop your dog from having a diarrohea.

Edited by panda

Slippery Elm Bark is good...

For possible IBS - Protexin is great, as is adding some Psyllium Husks to food daily.

I take slippery Elm bark myself as I get a lot of gas and acid reflux. I'm going to give it to my dog too. Is it best to give before food or can I mix it with his food?

For possible IBS - Protexin is great, as is adding some Psyllium Husks to food daily.

I take slippery Elm bark myself as I get a lot of gas and acid reflux. I'm going to give it to my dog too. Is it best to give before food or can I mix it with his food?

Yeah, won't stop the runs but hopefully will help make the gut more tolerable to upsets in the long run. I will be staying away from all food with gluten for her now. Not sure about slippery Elm but I was under the impression you just add to food. Someone on here should be able to let us know.

Yeah, won't stop the runs but hopefully will help make the gut more tolerable to upsets in the long run. I will be staying away from all food with gluten for her now. Not sure about slippery Elm but I was under the impression you just add to food. Someone on here should be able to let us know.

I use the chewable form and I just put it on the floor to see if my dog would eat it. He sure did lol, he chewed it up but the powder got stuck between his teeth as it does with mine. I guess he can share mine then.

Guest lavendergirl

Slightly off topic but there has been some serious health concerns raised in the US by the FDA relating to Chicken Jerky Strips made in China. There is an article on the dog food analysis site. I personally avoid any products made in China.

Slightly off topic but there has been some serious health concerns raised in the US by the FDA relating to Chicken Jerky Strips made in China. There is an article on the dog food analysis site. I personally avoid any products made in China.

I totally agree with you there. I always made sure that I don't buy products from China

Edited by panda

Thanks for that info Lavendergirl. I have given my dog those in the past. I was a bit worried about them being made in China and their bad track record with food standards for humans, let alone dogs. :(

And Best4Koda, I'm glad the 'rigmarole' made you laugh. It did sound like I might have been talking about some sort of food. Not a bad name for a dog roll actually! :laugh:

I own two GSD and one has a very sensitive stomach and the other eats anything with no problems. I have had my girl to the Vet sooooo many time with stomach problems. Eventually I changed her diet to Optimum (hope thats how it is spelt) and give tin fish with that and meat twice a week with the kibble. Have had no problems since so it may be worth your while to change the diet. I used Coprice and Supercoat and both upset her stomach. B ut as I said Optimum has settled her down and touch wood I have not had a Vet visit for over two years since changing her food. I also find chicken causes stomach problems so I no longer give her chicken. She get large leg bones twice a week - no problems.

I believe that some GSD lines have major gut problems and you have to be extra careful.

I will check out optimum but I think I didn't like the ingredients for my girl at the time when I've checked but it's always good to recheck from time to time.

I have bought protexin and thrive D to try. Thrive D I will start tonight. Has anyone used it here? I feed twice a day so can anyone tell me if I just split the dose between the 2 meals instead?

Protexin I will start after we move but after the antibiotics stop in a say she can have some inner health till we move.

• 7 months later...

I have bought protexin and thrive D to try. Thrive D I will start tonight. Has anyone used it here? I feed twice a day so can anyone tell me if I just split the dose between the 2 meals instead?

Protexin I will start after we move but after the antibiotics stop in a say she can have some inner health till we move.

Sorry to dredge up an old(er) thread, but I just wanted to know, Best4Koda, how you went with feeding your girl the Thrive D?