Blood And Bone Garden Fertilizer

perth_girl

Im sure this is a really stupid question, but I want to be 100% sure. We will be moving into a new place next weekend. During last week we put down some roll on lawn to cover a large sand patch. We bought Blood And Bone powder that will be watered in. Im just wanting to make sure this will be perfectly safe when our dogs get to the property next week.

We bought the powder that is mixed with water and then 'sprayed' onto the lawn, hoping that this way there isnt any pellets for our dogs to eat. Im worried they'll dig up the lawn in search of the smell. If they eat the lawn with the blood and bone on it, would that be enough to make them sick? We were thinking of putting the blood and bone on in the next couple of days so it had almost a week to 'sink in' before we take the dogs there next Saturday.

Hopefully.

What they may do is dig it all up, though.

if your dogs eat it it may may make them ill...

My dog has eaten a few mouthfuls out of the bag with no ill effect...... it does seem to encourage him to dig up whatever the blood and bone has been on. Although after a week it might not have such a strong smell.

I think of dogs and gardens as a poor combination, therefore at our house my dog has a yard with lawn and some spikey plants he won't eat and is not allowed access to the garden proper

My dog has eaten a few mouthfuls out of the bag with no ill effect...... it does seem to encourage him to dig up whatever the blood and bone has been on. Although after a week it might not have such a strong smell.

I think of dogs and gardens as a poor combination, therefore at our house my dog has a yard with lawn and some spikey plants he won't eat and is not allowed access to the garden proper

Its only lawn, no garden beds thank goodness. Our dogs arent prone to digging normally but will occasionally make a small ditch for the fun of it.

Edited by perth_girl

It won't matter if they lick a small amount off the garden. :)

However, there's not a snowflakes chance in hell I'd EVER deliberately feed it to my dogs. :eek:

The MSDS on the Yates website says "do not lay in heaps as dogs find the product attractive to eat. Whilst it's not poisonous to dogs, it may cause gastric irritation".

Edited by Sir WJ

Pretty much all blood and bone that comes from garden centres have added ingredients that are bad for dogs.

Eating that sort of product in large enough quantities (comparitive to the size of the dog) can cause haemorrhagic gastro and death.

Exactly, and if they eat enough of it, liver damage will result too. :(

Edited by Sir WJ

Pretty much all blood and bone that comes from garden centres have added ingredients that are bad for dogs.

Eating that sort of product in large enough quantities (comparitive to the size of the dog) can cause haemorrhagic gastro and death.

Exactly, and if they eat enough of it, liver damage will result too. :(

+2.

I only used the stuff once (on bulbs) cause it had the effect that my dogs systematically dug up all the bulbs I had planted and got upset tummies from eating the combination of dirt and blood and bone.

It can and does cause problems .. we saw a few cases at the vets and the dogs were very poorly for a few days .It is a very concentrated form of protein ( nitrogen and phosphorous)..and some mixes contain a wetting agent.

Edited by persephone

If it is just that Blood and Bone it will do no harm.

I have used it to feed my dogs when I had some on a meat diet only.

Many dog dry foods use this as a base for their products.

It is also known as meat meal.

As I said if it is just that blood and and bone it will not hurt them I have fed it for years.

I always purchased mine direct from the abattoir :)

What's now sold in garden centres as "blood and bone" doesn't contain much of it.

And my brother's dog ate a large amount (cup or so) of the old stuff and was violently ill in his fancy car. Neither of them were happy but they both lived.

My dog will dig up and try to eat any areas that have been dosed with it (the new stuff). My mum found out that the hard way. My dog wasn't sick cos she didn't get to eat much before I stopped her, but mum's garden was a little worse for wear and the area that didn't get watered or rain - stayed very attractive for a long time (months).

So I'm thinking if you want to keep your new lawn you will need to keep the dogs off it for a month or so. And water often during that month.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket