Sunscreen For Dogs

Kajtek

Crashing this thread.

My white chihuahua is a sunbaker too. Cant convince him to stay inside, he just wants to be out there improving his tan. Last year I used one which was increadibly thick and was terrible! Wouldnt spread on and then when I tried washing it off my hands, it just spread everywhere. Is there a thinner, easier to spread dog sunscreen available or are they mostly all like the thick one?

Yes - the plush puppy one.

Crashing this thread.

My white chihuahua is a sunbaker too. Cant convince him to stay inside, he just wants to be out there improving his tan. Last year I used one which was increadibly thick and was terrible! Wouldnt spread on and then when I tried washing it off my hands, it just spread everywhere. Is there a thinner, easier to spread dog sunscreen available or are they mostly all like the thick one?

Yes - the plush puppy one.

Thank you. Just saw the link :) Will give this one a try.

I started a thread about this a while ago.My white greyhound girl is a chronic sunbaker.Vetbasics is a really thick sunscreen that does not come off.You can't even get it off when you bath them it's like glue.As Teebs said Filterbac is good plus it's an antibacterial cream.

Definitely agree with the Vetbasics comment - Our border collie had a white nose for AGES after I applied it... gave me a huge fright at first when trying to wash it off! :eek: Will definitely be looking at the alternatives mentioned.

Where do you get these products from online or directly from your vet I have a terrier that is a sunbaker. I am worried that he will get skin cancer can you put this on their bellies etc. This is where he tends to bake the most. Thanks in advance.

Prada I got the Vetbasics from my local Petbarn.For me it was way too thick and she cried every time I put it on.Being a greyhound with thin skin and a big amount to cover it didn't suit us.May suit you.

My boy has very thin skin on his under side and very sensitive to various things. Thick sunscreen would not suit. Could I use sunscreen that humans use? Is there really any difference? Perhaps I will go that way and give it ago and see. Has anyone else used human grade sunscreen on their dogs?

Mason Gibbs I know you do how did you find it?

I think It works well, twice my black lab got huge hotspots on his back which left a 10x 10 cm sq bare white patch on his back, sprayed him daily and no issues and he has a real sensitive skin

So I can confidently tell everyone(thanks to my friend Skyseblue vet nurse)who took her 3year old child's sunscreen to work and all vets said that Banana Boat Kid's Very High protect sunscreen in the ultra mist is very safe for dogs.

So I can confidently tell everyone(thanks to my friend Skyseblue vet nurse)who took her 3year old child's sunscreen to work and all vets said that Banana Boat Kid's Very High protect sunscreen in the ultra mist is very safe for dogs.

Then that is what I will be purchasing for my boy thanks very much for the information.