4 Day Old Puppy With Dislocated Leg?

hilaryo

Hi there, its Sara - HilaryO's daughter. I think one of our puppies has a dislocated leg. Has anyone had this problem? If so what did you do? I'm going to take her to the vet but just wanted to ask first. I've taken a few photos. She doesn't seem in pain even when I move it.post-1582-0-60659000-1321844954_thumb.jpg

post-1582-0-18219500-1321844951_thumb.jpg

Does the pup use the leg normally?

I've seen a fair few pups with "uneven" looking back legs at this age and they all work out OK in the end :laugh:

Yes it could be something serious, but if the pup uses the leg normally and is in no obvious pain I would be much less concerned about it.

Oh I'm so sorry. Was it dislocated or had she been born with a structural problem with that leg that would have prevented her walking/running etc? Not meaning to be nosy - just interested in what was wrong for my own knowledge bank. How heartbreaking. :cry: ETA to explain what I was asking.

Edited by Trisven13

Sara updated last under my name about putting the puppy to sleep. As she hasn't been back in here I will answer from what she told me over the phone.

Yes it was dislocated and possibly broken - hard to see on the xray with such tiny bones - and severe damage to ligaments :( Even if it was possible to fix her which they doubted she would have trouble down the track. She was in pain so it was the best thing to do :cry:

She doesn't know what happened to the puppy. Some sort of freak thing unfortunately.

I had just returned from Sara's place after taking Macey up for the birth and initial few days. Macey has had her other 2 litters with me but she is Sara's dog (on paper) and she wanted to have the pups with her as she is home all day with a baby.

My poor girl is digging up the bedding looking for the dead puppy. Sara had to take her out of the box last night and only put her in for feeding as she is frightened that the remaining 3 pups could be injured.

This is just terrible as it will only make her worse but what can she do?

Did she bring the puppy home from the vet to show Macey? Generally when a puppy dies the bitch knows there is something wrong and either pushes it away for you to take or it dies and she is aware.

In this instance an otherwise healthy puppy (minus the badly damaged leg) has been taken away and in her mind I suppose she doesn't understand why.

Give her some time and reassurance and continue to supervise her in the box with her remaining babies...she will settle down again.

Edited by Aziah

So sad Hilaryo. Many, many years ago, right before I got my first pedigree pup I bought a little puppy through the Trading Post. Got her home and she was adorable. I noticed that every now and then she limped so took her into the vet - she had a healed broken shoulder that had probably occurred, according to the vet, as a tiny baby, possibly from the mother treading on her in the wrong place. She had been in pain all of her short life. Hard as it was you made the right decision.

Did she bring the puppy home from the vet to show Macey? Generally when a puppy dies the bitch knows there is something wrong and either pushes it away for you to take or it dies and she is aware.

In this instance an otherwise healthy puppy (minus the badly damaged leg) has been taken away and in her mind I suppose she doesn't understand why.

Give her some time and reassurance and continue to supervise her in the box with her remaining babies...she will settle down again.

No Aziah she wouldn't have thought of that, nor me - makes sense!

We've never lost a puppy before except a nearly 8 week old from some sort of toxin years ago.

One bit of happiness is our little mouse - the tiny little puppy in the litter - no longer needs supplementing from a bottle and is able to fill her belly from mum alone now.

Poor baby - but kinder than having her in pain

Poor little mite. So sorry to hear of this. :rainbowbridge:

We lost a boy with a cleft palate last year on day 3, he also had to be PTS.

We didn't let mother see him after we got back from the Vets as she was busy with her other 5 but she did look around for him as we had been feeding him and she was used to us taking him regularly but we always gave him back.

We thought it would be easier if she didn't see him again as we somehow felt she might thik WE killed her baby (which we did!) but don't know how to explain this to her.

Also the vet warned us that if she tried to 'rouse' him she could get some of the toxins from the syringe on her so we needed to be very careful about that if we decided to show him to her. It ws a tough call but we decided against it in this instance.

I think however, if my bitch who is due, looses her singleton I MUST show it to her as this would be so difficult for her.

(Yes, I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best). :crossfingers: