Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid the public won't ever get past Xolo (probably pronounced Zolo) for your breed .

Ages ago Wazzat Xolo wrote the pronounciation and from memory it is along the lines of show-low-queent-lee.

Thats OK Corrie I am happy with X and people who try, one must be helpful with those that want to learn!

I only get a tad upset ( ok really upset!! at mexican Hairless ) thats like calling a German Shep an Alsation!!

and you would be surprised about the public, they are keen to learn unlike some fractions of the dog world!!

On occassion I get calls for a Welsh Corgee...(as in gee whizz).

However I think it might be that they simply cannot pronounce 'gi' as each phone call has been from a person with an Asian type accent (and I am NOT having a go at all) I just assume they can't or don't pronounce it as it's normally said?

ETA: We've had them called sausage dogs, wombats :laugh: and "where's their legs".

Edited by Aziah

However I think it might be that they simply cannot pronounce 'gi' as each phone call has been from a person with an Asian type accent (and I am NOT having a go at all) I just assume they can't or don't pronounce it as it's normally said?

ETA: We've had them called sausage dogs, wombats :laugh: and "where's their legs".

I might be able to answer that. In mandarin corgi is 'ke ji' (kerr gee).

Curious how shih tzu is supposed to be pronounced without the t sound??

Also white highland west terrier. In other parts of the world, it's just the Cesar dog (here My dog).

Edited by minyvlz

Ok, in the spirit of education (after my head exploding over the rockwheeler :p ) and since many people do pronounce "rottweiler" incorrectly, the correct pronunciation is:

Rott-vy-ler, although Rott-wy-ler is also ok if you feel silly pronouncing the W with a V sound :D

This:

I feel stupid pronouncing Weimaraner as Vy-mer-ran-er so i stick with the wy-mer-ran-er version too!

I've heard countless pronuciations of Weimaraner but it's very easy to believe... i'm so used to correcting people to help them out when they stumble over the word, I am taken aback when someone says it correctly.

the only mistaken breed name the English Setters are called are either Dalmatian Cross/Longhaired Dalmatian OR Irish Setter.

Edited by SparkyTansy

I'm afraid the public won't ever get past Xolo (probably pronounced Zolo) for your breed .

Ages ago Wazzat Xolo wrote the pronounciation and from memory it is along the lines of show-low-queent-lee.

Thats OK Corrie I am happy with X and people who try, one must be helpful with those that want to learn!

I only get a tad upset ( ok really upset!! at mexican Hairless ) thats like calling a German Shep an Alsation!!

and you would be surprised about the public, they are keen to learn unlike some fractions of the dog world!!

I left a bit out didn't I? Is it show-low-eats-queent-lee?

Sorry if I have completely mixed it up.

Also white highland west terrier. In other parts of the world, it's just the Cesar dog (here My dog).

Well my West Highland White Terrier I've heard neighbours say oh look there is a scottish terrier

at least its in the general direction :S might not be colour :S

This is a great example of where purism gets you in trouble.

From a Chinese perspective, English speakers almost always mispronounce these words. I spent a few years and hundreds of hours in the language lab learning 'the National Language' or, as it's commonly called in English, Mandarin. The Shih may be pronounced with or without an 'r' sound at the end, depending on regional dialects/accents. Shih (in a different tone) is the verb 'to be' . . . so it's one of the first things you learn in Chinese, and if you have various teachers, you find they pronounce it either with our without the 'r' sound. If my memory serves, the 'r' is a Beijing (ie, Peking) accent. I don't know of a Chinese dialect that pronounces the 'h' as a 't'. The 'i' should be more aspirated than it would be in English, and the air hits the middle front of the palete (sp?) in a way that approaches a dove-call whistle. It takes a bit of training to pronounce the tsu/tzu, but I'm not good at describing it. Below is the best description I could find on the web. Note, Wade-Giles is an antiquated system for converting Chinese characters into the English alphabet. Note, also, the dog is Tibetan, not Chinese, and I have no idea of what the dog is called in Tibetan.

from http://www.sheppards...dog_shiitzu.htm

The Shih Tzu or Shih Tsu is a breed of dog originating in Tibet. The spelling "Shih Tzu", most commonly used for the breed, is according to the Wade-Giles system of romanization. The Chinese pronunciation of this name is approximately like the "sher" of "sherbet" followed immediately by the "dds" of "adds". The meaning of the breed name was originally "lion dog" because this variety of dog was bred to resemble a miniature lion. It is now often called by a homonymic name, "xi shi quan," based on the name of Xi Shi, regarded as the most beautiful woman of ancient China.

p.s. Jack Russel Terrorist is great! Amusing is good! I appreciate Xolo trying to dump 'Mexican hairless', which is ugly and inaccurate, and kills historical/cultural appreciation. And I'm glad my liguistic background is inadequate to make me dismiss 'Labbie'. Please don't tell me some gross sexual connotation. I don't want to know. 'Labbie' sounds friendly. And almost all of them are.

Edited by sandgrubber

I've never heard anyone say the pinyin 'shi zi' instead of 'shih tzu', Chinese speaker or otherwise. I think the t sound goes with the 2nd syllable and not at the end of the 'shi' (though I've also never ever heard anyone pronounce 'shi' with an 'r' sound). 'tzu' is actually pretty close to how a Beijing native would pronounce the 2nd syllable.

I also wouldn't pronounce the lion in mandarin as sher-dds but rather sh-zer with a soft s sound. The 2nd syllable which is similar to 'tsu' without much emphasis on the 'u'. However for the breed I'd never thought to pronounce it anything other than shee-zu. I do draw the line at sheet-zu though.

Well my West Highland White Terrier I've heard neighbours say oh look there is a scottish terrier

at least its in the general direction :S might not be colour :S

+1 (they have also been called Maltese :laugh: )

A few weeks ago I went to Whittlesea Agricultural show. I took my 9 month old ITALIAN GREYHOUND with me as he loves his little adventures.

Apart from all the snide comments I heard as I was walking around "OMG that dog is so skinny" "OMG they must starve him" etc etc etc. I then had a lady come up and say what a beautiful puppy LABRADOR I have hahahahahaa

A long time ago on a plane of existence far far away a lady with an odd accent rang and asked to have a White Monaro picked up. After asking her to say it again it still sounded like a White Monaro..... When it was confirmed she was not talking about a car and it was a fairly large bluish coloured dog the Weimaraner light came on!!!! We are sure that’s what she was saying it is just not what we were hearing!!!

She had her cars mixed up. The Aussie rhyming slang for Weis is "White Torana".

A long time ago on a plane of existence far far away a lady with an odd accent rang and asked to have a White Monaro picked up. After asking her to say it again it still sounded like a White Monaro..... When it was confirmed she was not talking about a car and it was a fairly large bluish coloured dog the Weimaraner light came on!!!! We are sure that’s what she was saying it is just not what we were hearing!!!

She had her cars mixed up. The Aussie rhyming slang for Weis is "White Torana".

I've heard a few different versions of Weimaraner but the classic one for me is the 'Wild Banana'. :happydance::rofl:

Edited by Weibritty