Protexin

bjazld

i have read a few threads in here mentioning the use of protexin and how good it is, but I was wondering is it ok to use in 4.5 week old puppies?

one of my pups was put on antibiotics last weekend and was on them for 5 days, he came good but the last few days he has now having very loose stools 2 hours post food, not watery dirrhoea but not like the other pups poo. I have been in contact with my vet and obviously monitoring him like a hawke, he is not unwell though. Im thinking the antibiotics have caused more problems gut wise. i have also started them on solids (well semi solids) so that could be making it worse.

was wondering if its worth trying the protexin?

any advice (again) would be appreciated.

great thanks. i havent spoken to my vet about it so not sure if they stock it. will def ring them first thing otherwise Im guessing i can only order it online? unless anyone knows anywhere between south brisbane-gold coast i might get some tomorrow?

I have used the Liquid Protexin on pups around the same age with great results, I found the liquid to be better for some reason. I always keep some in the fridge.

As soon as antibiotics are finished I dose them, Good for loose poo when starting solids and I give a dose just before they go for their needles etc. Good also when pups are under stress through travelling etc.

The original packaging has a dose rate for puppies for maintanence and stress. My vet buys it in bulk and sells it in glass bottle (pretty cheap this way) and I just use a syinge to put 1ml in the mouth, the pups don't seem to mind the taste either. Just need to remember to shake it well before use as it tends to separate when sitting in the fridge but it has a longer life in the fridge.

Another breeder put me onto it a few years back when I had a very sick litter of puppies that were just a few weeks old and I've used it ever since. Liquid gold.

It's worth a try and it won't hurt your pup, package says to give after antibiotics have finished

Good Luck

Cheers Lee

i have read a few threads in here mentioning the use of protexin and how good it is, but I was wondering is it ok to use in 4.5 week old puppies?

one of my pups was put on antibiotics last weekend and was on them for 5 days, he came good but the last few days he has now having very loose stools 2 hours post food, not watery dirrhoea but not like the other pups poo. I have been in contact with my vet and obviously monitoring him like a hawke, he is not unwell though. Im thinking the antibiotics have caused more problems gut wise. i have also started them on solids (well semi solids) so that could be making it worse.

was wondering if its worth trying the protexin?

any advice (again) would be appreciated.

We use Protexin on every litter. I've used it on puppies as young as about 5 days old. I use the gel that comes in a big syringe and both Mum and pups get it daily, or twice daily if there is any issue with a pup or I am supplementary feeding.

I order it through our vet before the litter arrives and get them to keep a few on hand for me.

Great stuff, wont be without it :thumbsup:

I've mixed it with boiled water (warm) and honey, to make a paste & then gently using a syringe or dropper to gently place it on their tongues. or mix it with milk / milk replacer & let them lap if they are at that stage.

fifi