Help! 6 Day Old Puppies Vomiting/crying

hilaryo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boy is not bringing up lots of milk but has bouts of salivation and obviously a pain in the tum. We are keeping him upright after feeding. The tiny girl had no reserves she was so small plus the vet gave her a bit of pain killer that he didn't give to the boy which may not have helped as Sara said he wasn't sure how much to give.

Clinical signs of toxic milk

* Vaginitis, metritis, vulvar discharge, and polyuria-polydipsia in the bitch.

* Painful teats (one or several).

* Anatomical anomaly of galactophorous teat canals (following recurrent mastitis).

* Purplish "cauliflower anus" in puppies.

* Continuous whining of puppies.

Apart from the whining there doesn't seem to be any of these signs :confused:

Keep it coming - happy to get advice :)

Thanks

Hilary

Yes Aziah Macey has been on ABs but finished last night Sara said. We let him have a small feed 45 mins ago and there has been no crying and no vomit but have held him upright since then. If he vomits again and starts crying again we will use the formula just to see if it makes any difference.

Strange that the tri boy hasn't developed anything yet touch wood. We are terrified that he might :(

Have you squeezed her teats and let out some milk from each to see if it's ok? Massage them a bit and then let some milk out and have a look in your hand at what it looks like, any watery type stuff, puss?

I agree with this, my last litter no mastitis present but had green watery milk.

I lost three in that litter.

I hope you work out what it is soon - RIP little puppies :cry:

One way to see if a bitch has mastitis, if unsure by just looking at it(well it works in cows, mastitis is mastitis) is to express some milk into a clean container. Add a small amount of dishwashing liquid to the milk and swish this around. If the milk starts turning lumpy in the container she has mastitis. Sometimes mastitis may not show clinical signs as such. I would advise taking the pups off mum completely. Boiled water will suffice for a feed.

Are you burping the puppies(not just holding them upright) but actually helping them to burp. What are their toilets like?

If there is any problem with her milk then I would recommend a suitable formula

Edited by Bullbreedlover

One way to see if a bitch has mastitis, if unsure by just looking at it(well it works in cows, mastitis is mastitis) is to express some milk into a clean container. Add a small amount of dishwashing liquid to the milk and swish this around. If the milk starts turning lumpy in the container she has mastitis. Sometimes mastitis may not show clinical signs as such. I would advise taking the pups off mum completely. Boiled water will suffice for a feed.

Are you burping the puppies(not just holding them upright) but actually helping them to burp. What are their toilets like?

If there is any problem with her milk then I would recommend a suitable formula

This talk of mastitis is interesting as I am a HUGE advocate of breast feeding (people) and although I know that generally it is said that if one has mastitis that one should not feed the baby HOWEVER I have read much literature stating that this is bad advice and detrimental for both the mother and child and PROVIDED there is no infection (and mastitis isn't nescesarily an infection and is different from what is called "Toxic milk", the baby feeding IS the best treatment and that the breast should be drained AND that there is no danger to the baby.

So is it different in Dogs? I wouldn't think so as they are mammals too. :confused:

Aspirated Pneumonia?

Why Is was the bitch on antibiotics?

My last litter had a whinger, would settle if held up right took weight off diaphram as a guess. He passed away a few days later, he had swollowed meconium.

Aspirated Pneumonia?

My last litter had a whinger, would settle if held up right took weight off diaphram as a guess. He passed away a few days later, he had swollowed meconium.

Yep definitely possible for AP

Antibiotics are normal for c sections(I am sure I read the bitch had a c section)

Aspirated Pneumonia?

Yep definitely possible for AP

Antibiotics are normal for c sections(I am sure I read the bitch had a c section)

I remember reading in one of my books that the Author refuses to let her bitches have antibiotics after a delivery (as was routine at some stage?) as she had lost many pups and none when they don't have Anti-biotics. But I guess it's a risk you must take with a C-section. Also imagine it would depend on the drugs used.

Maybe some Protexin for bitch and pups are in order?

Edited by LizT

Mastitis is actually not an infection. It is misnamed. It is milk in the wrong part of the mammary tissue which causes swelling, lumps, hot patches. It can then become infected if not managed.

Management drain the mammary glands by applying the baby/pup. Cold compresses to reduce swelling.

No not take them off as this exacerbates the mastitis as the gland id not drained.

I would suggest that the pups are sick from something parvo, herpes,etc.

The bitch doesn't have mastitis BB she is fine it's the pups not doing well and the amtiniotics could be causing rheir gut upset or it could be somerhing more sinister, hopefully not.

How are they doing Hilaryo?

The bitch doesn't have mastitis BB she is fine it's the pups not doing well and the amtiniotics could be causing rheir gut upset or it could be somerhing more sinister, hopefully not.

How are they doing Hilaryo?

I didnt say that she did have mastitis. I was mentioning one way to check. And mastitis in the first instance may not show up to the untrained eye.

And in many cases if the pups are not well it can be because of something that mum is passing on to them

Edited by Bullbreedlover