Canidae Feeders

Grain free salmon here (or any canidae will do really if I can't get that one).

Two greyhounds - 9yo female who is very active for a greyhound - so I like the higher fat & protein.

11 yo male who is inactive due to arthritis and needs to keep his calorie intake up as he can get picky with his food.

They get fed mostly raw, but I use the canidae to maintain/increase weight - ie up the canidae for extra energy or calories.

And the canidae has done wonders for "Miss Seal coat"..lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I alternate between the ALS and Salmon formulas. Since I have a puppy I've stuck with the ALS because of the lower protein levels. It took mine a while to make the switch with loose stools etc. but I am happy I persisted.

Edited by Boxer05

I got the Grain free Salmon for Amber. She refused to touch it. I fed it to the other 2 dogs and by the end of one small bag they were both itching a lot and had pink muzzles. I hadn't had heaps of allergy problems with either dog prior to that. They had scratched a bit on Uncle Albers but had been fine on all other premium and super premium foods.

I got the Grain free Salmon for Amber. She refused to touch it. I fed it to the other 2 dogs and by the end of one small bag they were both itching a lot and had pink muzzles. I hadn't had heaps of allergy problems with either dog prior to that. They had scratched a bit on Uncle Albers but had been fine on all other premium and super premium foods.

We have dry skin problems here too but we can't rule out change of season, moulting, very dry grass and lean diet as contributing factors. Unfortunately due to allergies, our only other known safe kibble option is Eagle Pack Holistic Fish (even the duck formula has chicken fat in it) and both are hard to get hold of which is why we buy it 5 or 10 large bags at a time. For now we add egg, oil and tinned sardines on a rotating basis until the environmental factors stabilise.

I feed the Pure Sea (aka Grain Free Salmon) and every so often, the ASL Grain Free one. Really happy with it and can't see me changing anytime soon. In addition he gets a couple of chicken wings at night and 3-4 times a week, a can of tuna, salmon or sardines.

Activity level - he's pretty lazy but is also high energy :laugh:

I switched to it as it has the higher fat and protein content after I could not get Eagle Pack Power. I would not raise a litter of giant breeds on it based on the ratios but no issues feeding it post critical growth period.

He holds his weight well on it. His coat is much shinier and has thickened up and like anniek - its done wonders for Mr Seal Coat LOL. Not sure if it also environmental but his skin has been a million times better this spring and there's less farts than on Eagle Pack.

I feed PureSea (salmon gran free) to our two because the youngest gets an upset tummy from grains. Both dogs love it. Both are GSD's and are working dog. Older one is not so active now but the youngest is highly active. Both are doing really well on it.

2 year old high energy Collie with EPI she is on Grain free Pure Elements (not the fishy one) been on it for about a month now and is starting to regain weight slowly. Grain free dry foods are hard to find. She cleans her bowl and no problem at the other end (touch wood) shine back on her coat and a twinkle in her eye.

Cheers Kate

Edited by Carluke

Been feeding a 3yr old Boxer with history of pancreatitis the All Life Stages one for past three?? months(have the Salmon one in the garage for rotation but haven't tried it yet)hasn't triggered off an episode, good stools, no difference in her coat (actually her coat was better on the Cal Natural Herring and Evo rotation but didn't like where I had to buy it from). She gets it with a small foil tray of Natures Gift twice a day, also gets lean raw meatys 1-2 a week for teeth cleaning. Energy levels - typical crazy Boxer. She has been known to be fussy with her food but she hasn't turned her nose up once (so far). Also feeding 1 yr old CKCS but he gets it in am and barf pm. I actually ran out of his old food without realising so he didn't get a slow change over, surprisingly no poop issues being switched straight over. He enjoys it but he would eat just about anything. He is pretty hyper but he always has been - he thinks he is a Boxer.

We feed Canidae- All Life Stages to our Amstaff.

He is maintaining a good healthy weight and his coat is extremely soft. I like it particularly because it has so many meats. He is a fairly lazy dog at the best of times; it hasn’t had any impact on his energy levels, especially his high energy levels once out and about. He also gets kangaroo chunks mixed in, sometimes sardines and tuna, as well as turkey wings/roo bones every few days.

I have a little foster pup with me. She was only five weeks when she arrived, very heavy worm burden and very malnourished.

I started her on Canidae salmon and she is doing brilliantly. Lovely soft shinny coat, her growth and development is perfect, she really looks fantsitic :)

We got 4 bags of salmon Canidae when they were on special on Dogfood.com.au When we ran out I got a bag of Advance. I've noticed the dogs aren't doing as well and all have more eye gunk. Particularly Petey and because of his white face he has tear stains too. I put him back on Canidae and he's looking better after just a week.

We feed tinned fish or raw meat or bones in conjunction with the dry.

Energy levels seem the same.

I've been feeding my Boston Terrier ALS grain free since he was 8 weeks old (now 8 months), I did briefly switch to another dry because it got good reviews and was cheaper but it gave my pup terrible dandruff and he pooed a lot more. His skin and coat is much better on the Canidae.

He also gets a mixture of minced meat, frames and veggies daily, and yoghurt occasionally.

I don't mind the cost because he's a small dog and we don't have any other pets to feed.

Guest lavendergirl

Is anyone concerned about the high protein levels in the grain free versions - up to 40%? This is the only thing that deters me from feeding the grain free foods.

Is anyone concerned about the high protein levels in the grain free versions - up to 40%? This is the only thing that deters me from feeding the grain free foods.

It concerns me for my pup so I don't feed it but when he is older I will. Also my dog eats like 1/4 cup a day and then raw so I'm just using it to make up the vitamins etc he could be lacking from the way I feed

Reasons for asking, is that we have just stocked the product. The basics of any food product I can grasp, but I'm really interested in how it compares across the breeds and individual dogs. It's one thing to know the theory but the insight from users is invaluable.

I'll be using the salmon on a couple of mine and the life stages on another.

Are you using it on the Staffords? If so I'd be interested in how they do on it. :)

So there's no chicken in the grain free salmon is there? This is what I'm thinking of changing to when our old formula Pro Plan Sensitive runs out. Is there anyone who does samples of it?

Nope there isn't and it's one of the reasons we've opted to stock it. Many others that advertise on the front of their bags as " turkey and rice " " lamb and rice " etc still contain chicken.

There's also a few manufacturers that are changing formulas, I feel for those who are using a product and we're getting good results that now have to look for something else.

Awesome. Obviously Pro Plan sensitive now has chicken meal in it, the rep has said that it "shouldn't" upset my girl's belly because there's not enough chicken in it but shouldn't isn't really good enough when you have a dog that is in pain from her upset belly and can't do what she wants to do.

Thanks for that Ams, will try for a sample. :)

Hi, for those that want to try. I did email Canidea au site and they were happy to mail samples out for me.