How To Minimise A Puppy Chewing On An Older Dogs Neck When Playing

Huntia

Hi. My 15 week old pup (that we have had for 2 weeks now) when she plays with the 18 month old chews and bites on his neck underneath the chin. They have a great time together, HOWEVER, his (the older dog) neck is all crusty and scabbed over, doesn't feel nice at all :eek: .

Is there anything that I can put on his neck that will a) help it to heel quickly and b) deter the puppy from biting and chewing him there?

:D

Edited by Huntia

Hi Huntia,V

Just giving this a bit of a bump cause we have a similar issue at our house, puppy loves older (newer) rescue dog so much that he is doing the same thing to her- your not alone, hopefully someone will see with an idea to help us out!!! :)

Edited by AmaCam+Digby

It does seem to be "slowing down", as there are no new "wounds".

Does anyone think it would be worth while putting paw paw ointment or vitamin e cream on the "crusty" bits? Would this help the healing process? :confused:

I wish he would tell her off more often, but I think it bothers me more than it bothers him. lol :D

Edited by Huntia

My pup did this a lot and I was so worried as my older boy ( who is nearly 3) tends to get hotspots on his neck, well for whatever reason he has never had a hotspot since the pup got here and I would say about 3 or 4 weeks ago my pup stopped pulling on his neck....no idea why he stopped, maybe Mason told him off or something

My friends dog used to do this to Jager when she was a pup. Every time we saw them she would hang off his neck. Never broke the skin. And we just figured that Jager would tell her off when it got to much. Weeks went by and nothing, then one day, he growled at her and nipped her ear, no skin broken but from that day on, the neck biting got less and less each visit. Now she doesnt do it at all. I assume it is just a puppy thing, and they grow out of it eventually.

I would seperate them when you arent supervising. And if you are really worried maybe if she hangs on for more than a couple of minutes, step in and seperate them for a few moments to calm her down or distract her with a toy they can both play with.

I decided to lather the older dogs crusty neck in vitamin e cream twice a day for a few days.... the puppy took a couple of licks....and is hardly touching his neck now!! :thumbsup: I will continue to apply just to help his neck heal quickly and hopefully minimise the scaring :thumbsup: :D

I would have stopped with this method if I saw the puppy licking his neck excessively. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You may find Aloe works even better. It's good for soothing minor hurts and is extremely bitter. It grows well in most parts of Australia and seems to be regularly featured at flea markets, etc . . . or course regular nurseries as well . . . or pinch some from a neighbour. I always had a clump of it, and sliced off a little from the plant, using the goo inside the leaf as a dressing.

Thanks, I will try Aloe.

The house we are in at present had heaps when we first moved in, but the old girl (13 yr old RR) bit it all into small pieces, spitting it out never swallowing it and than she preceded to rip out the bases roots and all!! :eek:

So now there is none left. :( The little bugger has done this ever since she was a pup at every house we go to, even if it is just for a short visit!!

Mum's Aloe plants get regular "trims". :eek:

• 2 weeks later...